Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Amusing News Stories

A poor contender for a Darwin Award - but a contender nonetheless:

Man dies in cake-eating contest

An inquest is to be held on a man who died during a contest to see who could eat the most fairy cakes.

The man, thought to be from Birmingham, collapsed at a Swansea nightclub during the event at the end of a party to raise funds for an art exhibition.

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances following the incident at the city's Monkey Cafe and Bar during the early hours of Friday.

The coroner has been informed and the family have been told.

It is believed attempts were made by staff and customers at the nightclub to revive the man.

In a statement, club owners Amanda Davey and Paul Dyke said: "We are all devastated by this tragic accident.

"We are all in shock.

"It was a tragic accident and very sad and should serve as a cautionary tale.

"Our deepest sympathy goes out to his family."

A South Wales Police spokesman said: "There are no suspicious circumstances and a file is being prepared for the coroner."

Darwin Awards

IMO, not so good this year but , Yes, it's again that magical time of the year when the Darwin Awards are bestowed.

These are the helpless Winners: :D

1. When his 38-caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach , California , would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked.

2. The chef at a hotel in Switzerland lost a finger in a meat-cutting machine and submitted a claim to his insurance company. The company, expecting negligence, sent out one of its men to have a look for himself. He tried the machine and he also lost a finger. The chef's claim was approved.

3. A man who shovelled snow for an hour to clear a space for his car during a blizzard in Chicago returned with his vehicle to find a woman had taken the space. Understandably, he shot her.

4. After stopping for drinks at an illegal bar, a Zimbabwean bus driver found that the 20 mental patients he was supposed to be transporting from Harare to Bulawayo had escaped. Not wanting to admit his incompetence, the driver went to a nearby bus stop and offered everyone waiting there a free ride. He then delivered the passengers to the mental hospital, telling the staff that the patients were very excitable and prone to bizarre fantasies. The deception wasn't discovered for 3 days.

5. An American teenager was in the hospital recovering from serious head wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.

6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer: $15. (If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?)

7. Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly. He decided that he'd just throw a brick through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So he lifted the brick and heaved it over his head at the window. The brick bounced back and hit the would-be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of plexiglass. The whole event was caught on videotape.

8. As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the snatcher. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer, that's the lady I stole the purse from."

9. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti, Michigan, at 5 am, flashed a gun, and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast. The man, frustrated, walked away.

10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. The police spokesman said the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline and plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges, saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

Best few minutes reading I've had for ages. :thumbup:

Number four reminds me of a true story.

Many years ago I was sitting in a famous pub at the Snake Pass near Sheffield with a stunningly attractive

squash friend.

One of the guys in the bar clearly couldn't take his eyes off her so I whispered "why don't you nip over a give him a kiss- he'll think he's won the pools?"

Ever up for a bit of fun she walked up to the bar, disarmed the bloke with a big smile and gave him a long lingering kiss.

Suddenly the place was alive with people all gesturing about getting a kiss as well.

In seconds the girl had em lined up right through the lounge and rewarded each one with a kiss they'd remember all their lives.

Turns out they were a party of disabled people on a night out and if I hadn't witnessed it I'd never have believed the noise deaf and dumb blokes could make in their excitement. :D

Best few minutes reading I've had for ages. :thumbup:

Number four reminds me of a true story.

Many years ago I was sitting in a famous pub at the Snake Pass near Sheffield with a stunningly attractive

squash friend.

One of the guys in the bar clearly couldn't take his eyes off her so I whispered "why don't you nip over a give him a kiss- he'll think he's won the pools?"

Ever up for a bit of fun she walked up to the bar, disarmed the bloke with a big smile and gave him a long lingering kiss.

Suddenly the place was alive with people all gesturing about getting a kiss as well.

In seconds the girl had em lined up right through the lounge and rewarded each one with a kiss they'd remember all their lives.

Turns out they were a party of disabled people on a night out and if I hadn't witnessed it I'd never have believed the noise deaf and dumb blokes could make in their excitement. :D

That reminds me of an incident that happened to me a few years ago. My wife and me and our very young daughters were having a weekend getaway in Butlins Skegness.

We entered a crowded bar and I told my wife to find a seat while I got the drinks. In the room there was a man in a tracksuit singing karaoke making the most god awful noise, with no resemblence to the lyrics at all.

While the barman was pouring the drinks I said to him (jokingly, I thought) ''Don't give him anymore, he's pissed'' to which the barman just gave me a dirty look.

When I returned to the wife I looked around and saw there was a party from the British Special Olympics team. I realised why the barman was so disgusted with me, I just wanted to curl up and die.

Edited by futter

That reminds me of an incident that happened to me a few years ago. My wife and me and our very young daughters were having a weekend getaway in Butlins Skegness.

We entered a crowded bar and I told my wife to find a seat while I got the drinks. In the room there was a man in a tracksuit singing karaoke making the most god awful noise, with no resemblence to the lyrics at all.

While the barman was pouring the drinks I said to him (jokingly, I thought) ''Don't give him anymore, he's pissed'' to which the barman just gave me a dirty look.

When I returned to the wife I looked around and saw there was a party from the British Special Olympics team. I realised why the barman was so disgusted with me, I just wanted to curl up and die.

Ouch!

Sat Nav Leads Unsuspecting Driver To Brigadoon

A popular Sat Nav system has inadvertently led a provisional driver from Leeds to the mythical Scottish town of Brigadoon. The driver, who does not wish to be named, passed his test just 2 weeks ago and received the "Tom-Dick-Harry" Satellite Navigation System as an early nineteenth birthday present from his mother.

He said earlier today that he had programmed in the quickest route to the N.E.C and only became suspicious that he wasn't travelling along the correct route when he noticed an abundance of heather-filled moors on the passenger side of his Ford KA.

He stopped to ask a local bagpipe player directions and was stunned to be told that he had entered the town of Brigadoon, which magically appears for just one day every hundred years, and that he would never be allowed to leave.

The teenager was forced to reverse over the man in order to escape the towns misty clutches.

When asked if he could recall the route he claimed it was up the M6, then along several canal tow paths, a bridle path and over an allotment.

"The Sat Nav seemed to know the way unerringly," claimed the teen,"but it's rubbish. My mum tried to get to Iceland last week and ended up in Atlantis. We don't even eat fish!"

This has got to be the most funniest thing I've heard in a long time, talk about total bollocks!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article846177.ece

BRITISH SIKH TERROR CELL

BRITAIN has been warned of a new terror threat from Sikh extremists linked with al-Qaeda.

Experts in the US and India have told authorities they are watching a handful of British-based Sikhs who they say have trained at terror camps in Pakistan which have connections to Islamic extremists.

They tell tonight’s File on Four on Radio Four that they fear the radicals may be planning terrorist acts in their fight for an independent Sikh homeland.

:crylaugh::crylaugh:

This has got to be the most funniest thing I've heard in a long time, talk about total bollocks!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article846177.ece

BRITISH SIKH TERROR CELL

BRITAIN has been warned of a new terror threat from Sikh extremists linked with al-Qaeda.

Experts in the US and India have told authorities they are watching a handful of British-based Sikhs who they say have trained at terror camps in Pakistan which have connections to Islamic extremists.

They tell tonight’s File on Four on Radio Four that they fear the radicals may be planning terrorist acts in their fight for an independent Sikh homeland.

:crylaugh::crylaugh:

maybe it is but how do you know :dunno: its not like there has never been extremist terrorism by sikhs before

but regardless of that , why is it amusing in anyway :dunno:

maybe it is but how do you know :dunno: its not like there has never been extremist terrorism by sikhs before

but regardless of that , why is it amusing in anyway :dunno:

It's scaremongering of it's lowest form, it mentions no detail and the statement 'handful of sikhs' makes me laugh, and the link with al-queda is about as believable with Jedi-ism (a registered religion) and there claim to have a link with Sikhism. This article just reeks of ignorism, Sikhs have been at the forefront of all wars with Islamic extemism in south asia, and I don't think al-queda would accept help or support the kafir!!

The truth is For there are 100's of Sikhs in Britain trained in explosives etc by the Pakistani secret service (ISI). There are 1000's of Sikhs in Britian that are ex indian army soldiers! Sikhs are a warrior race they have there own martial arts and are trained killers, which there are 1000's of SIkhs in britian trained is such martial arts. After the Indian governments genocidal attacks on the Sikhs in the 80's, there were around 100,000's Sikhs that moved to Britain under political assylum, fearful of the Indian governments action, many which the indian government say are terrorist!!!

The struggle for a Sikh Independant homleland started well before now and began against the british, and a seperate independant Sikh state was guarenteed by Nehru and Gandhi at the time of Indian independance. Unfortuantely the Sikhs were betrayed by the Indians and were 'politically' outmonuvered by the Indians,. SInce then the struggle built up to 'operation bluestar', operation black thunder', and 'operation woodrose', culmumating with anti sikh riots in 1984. The UN, all human riots groups, official documentation from the Brirish governmant and various govenments have called the events as 'Genocide'. Official records estimate that the whole attacks culminated in over 200,000 Sikh deaths and over 300,000 sikhs are either missing or inprisoned still waiting trial!!

After all the years of persecution, and continuation persecution there has been no British SIkh that has caused a terrorist attack, so why now, there is no 'real' freedom movement in PUnjab!!

I can't guarentee anything mate, but I was bought up with whole incident, many of my family lost there lives and there families to state terrorism, yet there has been no attack on any Indian by Sikhs in Britain in response!!!

Sikh terrorism is abit misnomer, one man's freedon fighter or protectorate is another mans terrorist, majority attacks have been against an invading force!! If your talking about the Air Indian bombings, no SIkh has ever been convicted, and it's has now become evident that the bombing was orchastrated by the the Indian Secret services, so far as much that the former head of the Canadian Secret service in another trial mentioned the detail plan of the event! Read 'Soft Target' written by 2 non sikhs, actually they are investigate journalist!! Unfortunately there have been Indian plane hijackings etc by some SIkhs, which is very sad. I'm not saying there has never been an innocent killed by SIkhs but unfortuantely in a freedom movement and move for justice innocents will die, which is very sad, unfortunately in a place where the perprators are not going to stop even when the movement is non violent, one must defend one's kin!!

It's scaremongering of it's lowest form, it mentions no detail and the statement 'handful of sikhs' makes me laugh, and the link with al-queda is about as believable with Jedi-ism (a registered religion) and there claim to have a link with Sikhism. This article just reeks of ignorism, Sikhs have been at the forefront of all wars with Islamic extemism in south asia, and I don't think al-queda would accept help or support the kafir!!

The truth is For there are 100's of Sikhs in Britain trained in explosives etc by the Pakistani secret service (ISI). There are 1000's of Sikhs in Britian that are ex indian army soldiers! Sikhs are a warrior race they have there own martial arts and are trained killers, which there are 1000's of SIkhs in britian trained is such martial arts. After the Indian governments genocidal attacks on the Sikhs in the 80's, there were around 100,000's Sikhs that moved to Britain under political assylum, fearful of the Indian governments action, many which the indian government say are terrorist!!!

The struggle for a Sikh Independant homleland started well before now and began against the british, and a seperate independant Sikh state was guarenteed by Nehru and Gandhi at the time of Indian independance. Unfortuantely the Sikhs were betrayed by the Indians and were 'politically' outmonuvered by the Indians,. SInce then the struggle built up to 'operation bluestar', operation black thunder', and 'operation woodrose', culmumating with anti sikh riots in 1984. The UN, all human riots groups, official documentation from the Brirish governmant and various govenments have called the events as 'Genocide'. Official records estimate that the whole attacks culminated in over 200,000 Sikh deaths and over 300,000 sikhs are either missing or inprisoned still waiting trial!!

After all the years of persecution, and continuation persecution there has been no British SIkh that has caused a terrorist attack, so why now, there is no 'real' freedom movement in PUnjab!!

I can't guarentee anything mate, but I was bought up with whole incident, many of my family lost there lives and there families to state terrorism, yet there has been no attack on any Indian by Sikhs in Britain in response!!!

Sikh terrorism is abit misnomer, one man's freedon fighter or protectorate is another mans terrorist, majority attacks have been against an invading force!! If your talking about the Air Indian bombings, no SIkh has ever been convicted, and it's has now become evident that the bombing was orchastrated by the the Indian Secret services, so far as much that the former head of the Canadian Secret service in another trial mentioned the detail plan of the event! Read 'Soft Target' written by 2 non sikhs, actually they are investigate journalist!! Unfortunately there have been Indian plane hijackings etc by some SIkhs, which is very sad. I'm not saying there has never been an innocent killed by SIkhs but unfortuantely in a freedom movement and move for justice innocents will die, which is very sad, unfortunately in a place where the perprators are not going to stop even when the movement is non violent, one must defend one's kin!!

i am pretty sure you know the history of Sikhs etc ; but the Sun story just states that there maybe Sikhs who have been trained at the same place that al queda terrorists have been trained ( not that there is any link in any alliance between the two )

why is this so unbelievable ? i think some IRA terrorists trained in Libya and exchanged tactics etc

( using the "enemy of my enemy principle" i suppose )

but my original main question is how is it in any way amusing ? :dunno:

and you give a good reason why it is not in your opening sentence .

i am pretty sure you know the history of Sikhs etc ; but the Sun story just states that there maybe Sikhs who have been trained at the same place that al queda terrorists have been trained ( not that there is any link in any alliance between the two )

Come on Zingari... it DOES suggest a link between the two

Most Sun readers will read that as Sikhs are working with Al-Qaeda. It is unnecessary sensationalism and serves no useful purpose. Much like the rest of the stories that paper writes.

Apart from Dear Diedre of course.

Come on Zingari... it DOES suggest a link between the two

Most Sun readers will read that as Sikhs are working with Al-Qaeda. It is unnecessary sensationalism and serves no useful purpose. Much like the rest of the stories that paper writes.

Apart from Dear Diedre of course.

yes i suppose anyone quickly reading it will link Al Queda with any perceived Sikh terrorist threat,

but it quite plainly states that they may only have been "trained at the same camp", ( but yes, i agree , it is crafty word play meant to deceive, :thumbup:

but for whatever reason , i'm still not finding either the attempted deceit by the Sun, or the possible threat "amusing" (as in the thread title) :dunno:

Edited by Zingari

why is this so unbelievable ? i think some IRA terrorists trained in Libya and exchanged tactics etc

( using the "enemy of my enemy principle" i suppose )

but my original main question is how is it in any way amusing ? :dunno:

and you give a good reason why it is not in your opening sentence .

Mate, the article does not say MAYBE, it states:

It is saying a handful of Sikh terrorists, HAVE trained with Al-Queda. To the nromal Brit that might sound credible but someone with abit of insight would know that the claim is a joke, hence why I find it funny. The fact that it makes a mockery of the common brit, to sell a story which is either a figment of imagination, or some parties aim to discredit a commmunity

To cut things short on the link, It is very unlikely\near impossible as the fact that Sikhs are currently being terrorised by Islamic fundamentalist\Al-queda\taliban in afghanistan, it makes the claim rather daft. There are thousand of refugee sikhs in the punjab from afghan, there plight and there stories are well in known. I would think it more likely that SIkh aggression would be focused on them!!

If you read SIkh history it will becme more apparant!! There is no ACTIVE military\authoritarian campaign against the SIkhs in the punjab, so how can these so called 'terrorists' justify a violent struggle!

The freedom movement is dead, the people of the punjab are not interested, not that they do not want it, they don't trust it. The SIkhs in general are very affluent, capitalism is god, with the ensuing corruption, mistreatment of the poor and the human rights violations, they can lead a very prosporious life without hinderance, why would they change that!!

And what terrorist are they talking about?????? Sikhs have been denied there right, so who is the terrorist???? Do they call the Burmese uprisal a act of terrorism?????

Edited by The Singh

Thought this was quite amusing earlier in the week.

Prisoner on Day Release in Plane Crash

Air crash passenger was prisoner

A passenger in a light aircraft which crash-landed in a garden in Kent was a prisoner on day release from jail.

The prisoner, believed to be serving a sentence locally for importing drugs, suffered minor injuries when the Cessna 172 crashed in Lyminge on Saturday.

The pilot, Sid Clark, said he assumed the prisoner was out "legitimately".

A statement from the Ministry of Justice said the prisoner had been returned to "closed conditions" while an investigation was being carried out.

The aircraft had set off from Rochester Airport. Both men were taken to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford for treatment after the crash.

The prisoner, who was within the last two years of completing an eight-year sentence, was then taken to Maidstone prison.

Mr Clark, from Maidstone, who also received minor injuries in the crash, told BBC Radio Kent the flight was logged with air traffic control at Rochester as a one-hour trip.

'Flew over roof'

He said the plan was to fly to Dover, then turn back but he did not get that far.

"I didn't see anything until a second before the impact," he said.

"We flew over the roof of the house, which I thought was a ploughed field."

Recovery teams removed the aircraft from the garden on Monday and lifted it on to a lorry to be returned to the Medway airfield.

Cynthia Reid, owner of the aircraft, which was hired to the pilot and passenger, went to the scene on Monday and said she was "heartbroken".

She said: "It was my pride and joy I'm afraid - it's just one of those things.

"Accidents happen and after 10 years it's gone."

Eileen Watling, the owner of the house where the plane landed, said: "We've had a very lucky escape."

She said if the aircraft had not hit the tree, it would have landed on top of her home.

The two injured men walked through the trees and into her conservatory after the crash landing, she added.

"One had cut his head and was bleeding profusely, and he'd got a bruised eye.

"The other one was just shocked, but he was covered in aviation fuel."

She said the pair were released from hospital that evening, "so they were lucky".

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch has been informed - it is not yet known why the aircraft came down.

Kent Police have searched the crash scene but found nothing suspicious.

Safer to stay behind bars if you ask me! :giggle:

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

• 3 weeks later...

The Sun

stuck on loo ... for 2yrs

A WOMAN was stuck on her boyfriend’s toilet for TWO YEARS, it was revealed yesterday.

Her legs wasted away and her skin grew around the seat.

Her boyfriend brought her food and water every day and asked if she was coming out of the bathroom — but she would reply: “Maybe tomorrow.”

He eventually called in police, who found the 35-year-old woman with her jogging bottoms pulled down to mid-thigh.

She initially refused to leave but was convinced to do so by the cops.

The seat was still attached to her as they took her to hospital to cut it away.

Sheriff Bryan Whipple said: “She was not glued. She was not tied. She was just stuck by her body.”

Police may charge the boyfriend, 36, with mistreating her — but he claims she just didn’t want to leave.

He has yet to explain why he waited so long before raising the alarm and telling cops: “Something’s wrong with my girlfriend.”

The unnamed woman, of Ness City, Kansas, refuses to talk to investigators.

Neighbour James Ellis said she had a tough childhood after her mum died.

The Sun

stuck on loo ... for 2yrs

A WOMAN was stuck on her boyfriend’s toilet for TWO YEARS, it was revealed yesterday.

Her legs wasted away and her skin grew around the seat.

Her boyfriend brought her food and water every day and asked if she was coming out of the bathroom — but she would reply: “Maybe tomorrow.”

He eventually called in police, who found the 35-year-old woman with her jogging bottoms pulled down to mid-thigh.

She initially refused to leave but was convinced to do so by the cops.

The seat was still attached to her as they took her to hospital to cut it away.

Sheriff Bryan Whipple said: “She was not glued. She was not tied. She was just stuck by her body.”

Police may charge the boyfriend, 36, with mistreating her — but he claims she just didn’t want to leave.

He has yet to explain why he waited so long before raising the alarm and telling cops: “Something’s wrong with my girlfriend.”

The unnamed woman, of Ness City, Kansas, refuses to talk to investigators.

Neighbour James Ellis said she had a tough childhood after her mum died.

:crylaugh:

they should have just flushed her out :P

Thought this was quite amusing earlier in the week.

Prisoner on Day Release in Plane Crash

Air crash passenger was prisoner

A passenger in a light aircraft which crash-landed in a garden in Kent was a prisoner on day release from jail.

The prisoner, believed to be serving a sentence locally for importing drugs, suffered minor injuries when the Cessna 172 crashed in Lyminge on Saturday.

The pilot, Sid Clark, said he assumed the prisoner was out "legitimately".

A statement from the Ministry of Justice said the prisoner had been returned to "closed conditions" while an investigation was being carried out.

The aircraft had set off from Rochester Airport. Both men were taken to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford for treatment after the crash.

The prisoner, who was within the last two years of completing an eight-year sentence, was then taken to Maidstone prison.

Mr Clark, from Maidstone, who also received minor injuries in the crash, told BBC Radio Kent the flight was logged with air traffic control at Rochester as a one-hour trip.

'Flew over roof'

He said the plan was to fly to Dover, then turn back but he did not get that far.

"I didn't see anything until a second before the impact," he said.

"We flew over the roof of the house, which I thought was a ploughed field."

Recovery teams removed the aircraft from the garden on Monday and lifted it on to a lorry to be returned to the Medway airfield.

Cynthia Reid, owner of the aircraft, which was hired to the pilot and passenger, went to the scene on Monday and said she was "heartbroken".

She said: "It was my pride and joy I'm afraid - it's just one of those things.

"Accidents happen and after 10 years it's gone."

Eileen Watling, the owner of the house where the plane landed, said: "We've had a very lucky escape."

She said if the aircraft had not hit the tree, it would have landed on top of her home.

The two injured men walked through the trees and into her conservatory after the crash landing, she added.

"One had cut his head and was bleeding profusely, and he'd got a bruised eye.

"The other one was just shocked, but he was covered in aviation fuel."

She said the pair were released from hospital that evening, "so they were lucky".

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch has been informed - it is not yet known why the aircraft came down.

Kent Police have searched the crash scene but found nothing suspicious.

Safer to stay behind bars if you ask me! :giggle:

From Maidstone.

Brilliant.