Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unit

Giving blood...

Nah... I'm nice but Bone Marrow donation scares me!!! :cry:

I thought I would be donating my bone marrow in the summer, but they found a better match. Anyway they explained the proceedure to me. You can have it extracted directly from the hip bone, but now they can give you a series of injections for 5 days and then they can extract the stem cells from your blood by passing it through a machine.

Something i will definately look into for the future.

17 at the moment so i can't do it unfortunately, but i will soon.

Or maybe i can :unsure:

Edited by Sods

I was looking at my appointment card. My last visit was 23rd May 1994. Does not seem that long ago unless I've lost some certificates. From the dates it seems to be six monthly intervals. Not sure of the age limit but things have advanced since I last went I'm sure. :cheers:

I've done it loads, I've got a rare blood group (my mum always said I was special!) so I feel like I'm doing my bit.

It does make me a bit light headed after, but nothing too bad. It's a bit uncomfortable when they put the needle in, but it's more of an ache than anything else, then you just lie there with a bag attached to you for about 3-10 minutes (depending on how quickly you pump the pint out) and they pull the drip out, stick a plaster on you & leave you to have a lie-down for a bit. Then you can get up & have free squash/tea/coffee & biscuits, job done.

chocolate hobnobs?!!? :w00t:

:banana:

Edited by MPH

Your not supposed too if you've been out the country in the last 12 moths either

You are allowed to if you've been out the country in the past 12 months.

They just ask that as a precaution, they ask you where you've been when you're there.

Most places are fine, I guess if you've just gone to some area with a high level of AIDS fr'instance they'll be a bit more weary.

I can confirm that Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Hungary, France, Poland, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and Spain are all ok.

You are allowed to if you've been out the country in the past 12 months.

They just ask that as a precaution, they ask you where you've been when you're there.

Most places are fine, I guess if you've just gone to some area with a high level of AIDS fr'instance they'll be a bit more weary.

I can confirm that Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Hungary, France, Poland, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and Spain are all ok.

Oh yeah, misread it ::doh:

I thought I would be donating my bone marrow in the summer, but they found a better match. Anyway they explained the proceedure to me. You can have it extracted directly from the hip bone, but now they can give you a series of injections for 5 days and then they can extract the stem cells from your blood by passing it through a machine.

Looks like it might be on again. I got a letter from them this morning and they want me to have some more blood tests.

• 1 year later...

I've just given blood. Aren't I brilliant? Not really, it's a piece of piss (not literally).

It's very easy to moan about the state of the world, and God knows I do, but this is a simple and easy piece of GOOD that you can do.

They're after my platelets as well, so if it turns out they're any good I get to spend EVEN LONGER in there eating free biscuits

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

Just out of interest, does anyone know why you can't give blood if you've had a piercing or tattoo in the past 6 months?

Everytime they send me a letter saying there's a blood donation thingy going on in my village I can't go because of this.

I've just given blood. Aren't I brilliant? Not really, it's a piece of piss (not literally).

It's very easy to moan about the state of the world, and God knows I do, but this is a simple and easy piece of GOOD that you can do.

They're after my platelets as well, so if it turns out they're any good I get to spend EVEN LONGER in there eating free biscuits

Well done to you mate, I am a blood donor too. It is very easy and just think of the difference it could make, It is a shame more people don't go a long.

The amount of older people in there compared to younger people is quite scary (At my local one anyway). The refreshments are rather great though.

:thumbup:

Just out of interest, does anyone know why you can't give blood if you've had a piercing or tattoo in the past 6 months?

Everytime they send me a letter saying there's a blood donation thingy going on in my village I can't go because of this.

It's because of the heightened risk of you having caught something nasty as a result of the 'needle work' you've had done. They cannot take for granted that wherever you went to get yours done has the highest standards of hygiene, because although a lot do, some are probably not so careful