Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unit

Giving blood...

Always considered giving but the odd hours i work and having very little social life due to working these hours i find it difficult to find the time but i do have a month off soon so if there is a time and place and i do not forget i will give it a try.

• 11 months later...

Mint club for me

A full year later I can confirm that The Don's dreams may yet come true, as they've got a massive box full of them at the donor centre on Vaughan Way.

What other reason could you possibly need to simply give away a pint of that boring red stuff that flows around your circulatory system, except perhaps to be more like Bellend

• 2 years later...

Cannot believe it's over 2 years since I last attempted to engage the noble population of the ever popular FoxesTalk forum with the idea that giving blood is literally a bloody brilliant idea.

I did it again yesterday, and as always it was a piece of piss (metaphorically, no donation of urine was requested or given).  My donation took so little time it was close to a record, so even if I have no other skills, I can at least put on my CV I'm very good at bleeding in a controlled environment.

Penguins and an extensive range of Crawfords biscuits are the current post donation treats on offer at Vaughan Way, for those of you motivated by such things (all of you)

• Like 1

It is indeed a great idea, I went for the first time a couple of months back and am allowed to do so again as of next week (i think it is) so will be heading back and making it a regular thing

• 1 year later...

Right!

I've learned today that I've got to jack this in, as I've got something wrong with me that means that they don't think it would be in my interests to donate anymore.

But enough about me - I feel a bit sad about this, but I'd feel a lot better if I could persuade one of my fellow Foxestalk Bellends to take my place.

As I've said a trillion times already, it's dead easy, and over the years I've probably eaten half my body weight in biscuits.

Why the hell not?  You know you want to

14 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Right!

I've learned today that I've got to jack this in, as I've got something wrong with me that means that they don't think it would be in my interests to donate anymore.

But enough about me - I feel a bit sad about this, but I'd feel a lot better if I could persuade one of my fellow Foxestalk Bellends to take my place.

As I've said a trillion times already, it's dead easy, and over the years I've probably eaten half my body weight in biscuits.

Why the hell not?  You know you want to

If it makes you feel any better I donated for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Appalling given my line of work I know.

• Like 1

How would you know what will happen to your blood next?

If I were in a rare blood group, it may not be likely to be used and thus eventually could be disposed of. That's what would put me off.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

6 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If I were in a rare blood group, it may not be likely to be used and thus eventually could be disposed of. That's what would put me off.

https://www.blood.co.uk/why-give-blood/how-blood-is-used/

Have you ever looked into properly? I'm not having a go but it seems a bit of an odd thing to be concerned about to me. Feel free to elaborate though...

In the first instance, there is a significant health form to fill out before you even sit down to discuss the process with a nurse.

Then they check your iron levels.

Only then will they actually take your blood.

It doesn't all get used for transfusions but I believe a proportion goes to medical research too. 

46 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I have a supposedly rare blood type but from what I understand this can be accepted by anyone from other blood types. If it comes to me needing blood I can only receive it from people of the same type. If you have a rare blood type there is even more reason to donate.

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

We're absolutely desperate for blood, especially from rare blood groups like B-.

Plus even if it is wasted (hugely unlikely) what's it to you?

I'm B-, so I need replacing for starters.

In answer to Wymesy's point, I gave 37 pints (not in one go, I might add) and for all I know most of it went in the bin, but if any of it kept someone's kid, parent, husband, wife or whatever alive for a bit longer even if it didn't cure them I'd still say it was well worth it

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm B-, so I need replacing for starters.

In answer to Wymesy's point, I gave 37 pints (not in one go, I might add) and for all I know most of it went in the bin, but if any of it kept someone's kid, parent, husband, wife or whatever alive for a bit longer even if it didn't cure them I'd still say it was well worth it

B- is the second rarest group but it's more prevalent in many of the ethnic minority groups in the UK, plus can be given to anyone who is B+, so I doubt it was wasted. 

Edited by Bryn

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

B- is the second rarest group but it's more prevalent in many of the ethnic minority groups in the UK, plus can be given to anyone who is B+, so I doubt it was wasted. 

Well that's good news.  Interestingly, the thing I've been diagnosed with is more prevalent in ethnic minority groups.  There's obviously something sexy and exotic in my heritage.  I should be on 'Who do you think you are', but the phone strangely remains silent

• 2 years later...