Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Innocent

The Dick, Kerr's Ladies

Read this book as it is great and will be very surprising to those who think they know about football.

I'm biased, naturally..............

;)

Sheesh, I'm only 31st in the Amazon football books list. But I'm doing better than Tony Adams, who is now 32nd..............

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Read this book as it is great and will be very surprising to those who think they know about football.

;)

10562[/snapback]

Haven't any of you bought this book yet?

I'm at the Edinburgh Festival on August 30th (sadly kicking off the same time we face Brighton, so I lose my season ticket outlay for that game), and am on Woman's Hour on Sept 2nd.

This is a really good book. Honest.

I'm about to relocate to Merseyside, to write my next book, but will keep my season ticket, and my love for Leicester, my adopted city of the last 40 years.

It seems funny after all this time to be leaving, but my mum's ill, so I have to.

My love to all.

AND PLEASE READ THE BOOK!!! :D

IT'S GOOD. :D

;)

10562[/snapback]

well assuming it's not a wind up, if you told us a little bit more about it, other than read this book; we might show some interest. :rolleyes:

;)

10562[/snapback]

well assuming it's not a wind up, if you told us a little bit more about it, other than read this book; we might show some interest. :rolleyes:

12922[/snapback]

Synopsis

In 1917 a new sport was born in the munitions factories of Britain. Within two years women's football had become one of the most popular spectator sports, and the most famous team was the Dick, Kerr's Ladies, of Preston, Lancashire. The factory girls became media stars, touring France, and then America, where they found themselves teamed against men. Abruptly, in 1921, the Football Association banned the sport, fearing that it detracted from the popularity of the men's game: the prohibition lasted for half a century. Dick, Kerr's Ladies survived, but its glory years were 1917-22, when its star players were Alice Woods, a calm but competitive world-class sprinter and miner's daughter from the politically active mining community of St Helens, and Lily Parr, who was taller than most men by the time she was 14. Barbara Jacobs, who shares their birthplace, St Helens, tells the story of the two women and the team, and what lay behind the runaway success of their sport - the closure of men's League games in the Great War, the charitable nature of the game, the need to provide sporting activities for munitionettes. She reveals too, the political and social issues that led to its shameful a ....

Reviewer: mypetbrick from Cheshire, England

"I couldn't put this book down! It's a truly enlightening true story, not only of an all-conquering women's football team of factory girls, but of the relationship of its record-breaking stars, Lily Parr and Alice Woods. These two girls, from the Lancashire town of St Helens, shared the deprivation of working class life during and after WW1 and even though they were from two different backgrounds - coal mining and glass-making - they were united in their love of football and the joy of defying their upbringing. Barbara Jacobs, who apparently comes from their home town and has researched their lives in meticulous and loving detail, has a real feel for dialogue, dialect, Lancashire oddities and foibles, so although the book is a social history it reads as easily as a rags-to-riches novel, or like that earlier Lancashire book I enjoyed, Woodruff's 'The Road To Nab End'. It's funny, tender, angry and sad, it kept me riveted, and the author shares with its two heroines a theme that echoes from every page of this remarkable tale - passion. "

Are you Barbara Jacobs then :?: :unsure::o:huh: <_< :lol: :w00t: ;)

Archived