Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Classical Music

I listened to Jupiter from Gustav Holst's Planets suite on Saturday and to be honest it was the best music I've heard for a long time.

Younger people seem to overlook classical music even though it is surely the most intricate and intriguing music in the world. It's also created by musicians and composers that in terms of musical skill and expertise would make most indie bands and electronic music producers look like mugs.

What everyone's favourite classical music (from any era - Romantic, Baroque, Modern, etc)?

One of my most middle class moments recently was putting on Mars, the Bringer of War, when I went to face the M&S food hall during the busy lunchtime period. I think I bought some posh bread for my soup. WHATATWAT

Generally have my favourites but find myself now tuning in to Classical FM rather than making my own selections.

If pushed, I'd probably have to name Chopin as my favourite composer.

One thing I've never done is been and seen a top orchestra perform classical music live. I imagine that can be very impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favourite pieces of all time. Introduced to me by my Nan, who is an accomplished church organist (though sadly having to slow down a bit, now aged 89).

Often played a bit quicker than this - obviously open to interpretation. Requires all four limbs.

Toccata in F Major from Charles-Marie Widor's Symphony No. 5.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought and downloaded this from Amazon... £1.99 for 100 classical pieces. What a bargain, the reviews say they are good quality recordings too. I quite enjoy classical music but never really bought any before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Instant-Classical-Collection-masterworks/dp/B0084T70SY/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379858562&sr=301-1

• 2 months later...

Google just informed me that Maria Callas would have been 90 years old today. She was my Grandads favourite opera singer. He went to see orchestras all his life from his early teens and once took me to see some foreign outfit doing a Tchaikovsky gig at Symphony Hall, which turned out to be a cracking performance. I wanted to boink one of the violin players but you can't just waltz up to them and say 'alwight darlin' at these kind of places - it's not the NEC.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived