Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stivesfox

Match Commentary Internet Restrictions

Dont know what other people think, but I think its wrong that the BBC dont allow commentary on the internet due to contractual reasons. There occassions when I cant make games, and try to listen to the match on BBC Radio Leicester through my I Phone most annoying when listening to the build, you get someone saying you can't listen to this broadcast. I do have foxes player which frankly is a complete waste of money, however dont wish to sit stationary listening to it through a lap top. I also go abroad frequently and unable to listen to the game, I waste along with a majority of the UK paying a TV license subsription which funds the BBC. I feel this unfair to supporters in the UK and also overseas whom are denied the opportunity to listen to the game. PTV who i believe own the rights to the website and commentarys run a very pretty website, however it is never upto date, and poorly run. The commentary issue I think for all Football league clubs having restrictions put on is out of order. I did tweet Ian Stringer to ask why the BBC cannot facilitate its internet users, unfortunatley he did not reply. Who feels it is unfair that our commentary unless you buy Foxes talk are resticted to worldwide and domestic users.

No it needs a flash player doesn't support mobile phones. Jimmy I know there's contractual reasons my understanding is the BBC own the rights to the Football league, if you are paying a TV license this package should be made avaliable, if they resold this to PTV then I think it's wrong!

No it needs a flash player doesn't support mobile phones. Jimmy I know there's contractual reasons my understanding is the BBC own the rights to the Football league, if you are paying a TV license this package should be made avaliable, if they resold this to PTV then I think it's wrong!

if teh Beeb own the rights to the football league, then why do Sky show more, and in more depth? :dunno:

And to be fair, stringer has a grand total of naff all to do with broadcasting rights restrictions.

IMHO You'd be better off talking to the club or the people who run the websites about whether there's a relevant app available or in development that would enable you to take advantage of your world subscription when you're on the move.

I think the BBC (apart from national networks such as 5live) and RL only owns certain package rights as far as the FL goes and doesn't extend to full live coverage outside the local area.

i think it would be a great idea for the club to make it as easy as possible for people who are as far away as you to listen to games. can only be a good thing and i'm sure the new owners are keen to expand the fanbase etc.

seems like improvements have to be made to the foxesplayer thing. i can imagine it is a right pain. good luck in trying to push through any improvements to the situation mate.

they have a contract to broadcast live commentary of our game in LEICESTER they are a local station so don't care if someone outside of the county can't listen as their audience can get them without the internet

It's all to do with money, as always! The Football league sell the radio broadcast rights in several ways, to maximise income.

Local radio rights go to the BBC regional stations to broadcast in FM to the local area. They only own rights to broadcast locally, hence the cut off in match coverage on the internet.

World internet rights are sold to the company running lcfc.com and Foxesplayer, great for expats as it is available world wide.

World rights are occassionally sold to the club, to use on their own TV (usually) or media outlet, more common in the Premier league though Leeds are one club that does this in the Championship and their broadcast is not available on Foxesplayer or its equivilent.

The iPhone issue is a pain, Apple have decided the Flash player is a clunky unreliable technology, true up to a point. Media companies are already embracing alternative streaming technologies to service iPhone/iPad users.

Foxesplayer have only recently managed a half decent service for Apple (computer) users, their record in keeping up with technologies is woeful, I do not expect a working 'App' anytime soon.

If listening to Foxesplayer is important, try a Windows based smartphone.

It's a shame I can't get commentary through the Radio Leicester site.

Was interesting on Tuesday watching SSN waiting for our result to come through. Eventually did at 9.55pm!

If I'd had the commmentary it would saved ten minutes of wondering :D

Peterborough fox I am down the road from you in St Ives, which radio app do you use, I have wunder radio and always cuts off about 10mins before the game, you can't get radio Leicester back until 5pm! Funny thing is other PTV sites who have players don't have restrictions as was able on holiday to listen to Palace game and also got Hull game on their local radios. I only tweeted stringer to ask if he knew in his capacity at BBC what the deal was with RL.

It's the broadcasting rights. It's the way it is. Nobody moans that the match isn't shown live on local BBC television so why is this any different?

I agree that it's strange that you can listen to football on local radio but it's restricted on the local radio website but there is obviously a contractual obligation and it is unlikely to change because a few fans think its unfair :dunno:

It's the broadcasting rights. It's the way it is. Nobody moans that the match isn't shown live on local BBC television so why is this any different?

I agree that it's strange that you can listen to football on local radio but it's restricted on the local radio website but there is obviously a contractual obligation and it is unlikely to change because a few fans think its unfair :dunno:

See my post above for who gets whch rights, quite simple really.

Radio Leicester (BBC) only have the rights for the local area, that is what the BBC have paid for in their overall football package. By broadcasting on FM the range is automatically restricted to the Leicestershire area, but given variation in recievers and reception conditions this is not precise.

This allows the Football League to sell the World Wide rights as a different product, by default the rights go to the company that runs Foxes Player and the equivilent for most of the other clubs, this is a commercial enterprise as they have the rights to most of the Football League and some Premiership Clubs, so you have to pay. You can see this quite clearly on Foxes player by checking out the other games, most of which are available . The exception is thar some clubs, mostly Premiership Clubs buy the rights to their own games which they then make available, usually for a fee, on their own TV channel or website, they are not then available on Foxes Player as the club owns the right, not the company behind Foxesplayer.

For this to change significantly from a fans point of view it would require LCFC to purchase the broadcst rights to its own games and then make it available free of charge on it's own website or other media outlet. This would be quite expensive for the club but it is possible.

See my post above for who gets whch rights, quite simple really.

Radio Leicester (BBC) only have the rights for the local area, that is what the BBC have paid for in their overall football package. By broadcasting on FM the range is automatically restricted to the Leicestershire area, but given variation in recievers and reception conditions this is not precise.

This allows the Football League to sell the World Wide rights as a different product, by default the rights go to the company that runs Foxes Player and the equivilent for most of the other clubs, this is a commercial enterprise as they have the rights to most of the Football League and some Premiership Clubs, so you have to pay. You can see this quite clearly on Foxes player by checking out the other games, most of which are available . The exception is thar some clubs, mostly Premiership Clubs buy the rights to their own games which they then make available, usually for a fee, on their own TV channel or website, they are not then available on Foxes Player as the club owns the right, not the company behind Foxesplayer.

For this to change significantly from a fans point of view it would require LCFC to purchase the broadcst rights to its own games and then make it available free of charge on it's own website or other media outlet. This would be quite expensive for the club but it is possible.

I fully understand everything you say, however it's very frustrating when working away and stuck in a hotel somewhere NOT being able to listen to the game via RL's website.

On just the few odd occasions that I happen to be away it's not worth subscribing to Foxes player simply for a commentary on the game.

If it was possible to pay for just one off games when you wanted and also be able to watch it this would be ideal.

However I can't see this happening, so it's back to being bored and waiting for the football results about 10.00pm.

Or watch the PPV offerings in the hotel !

Peterborough fox I am down the road from you in St Ives, which radio app do you use, I have wunder radio and always cuts off about 10mins before the game, you can't get radio Leicester back until 5pm! Funny thing is other PTV sites who have players don't have restrictions as was able on holiday to listen to Palace game and also got Hull game on their local radios. I only tweeted stringer to ask if he knew in his capacity at BBC what the deal was with RL.

Its not an app that I use, its just the FM radio which comes on your phone, then you have to have the ear phones in to act as the antenna.

I havent got an Iphone or anything fancy like that just a fairly average sort of phone, and that works fine.

The BBC aren't responsible to whom internet broadcast rights are sold to, The Football League are surely to blame, but there's probably a benefit for them for doing it this way, which in turn is a benefit for the clubs *edit* just read the above descriptions... so yeah, the clubs get a share of the money

However, there is an iOS App called BBC Radio (its not an official BBC app) which streams all BBC channels, now I'm unsure if they're streaming what's broadcast over the radio (which will include footie commentary) or whether it just streams the BBC's existing internet streams (which won't include the commentary)

Worth a try next time you can't make it though

Archived