Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carlos9

How can I get my 1.5 mile run time down ?

Hi carlos

Dont worry about it too much at the minute, you will find often when the race starts that you tag onto someone that little quicker without realising and you will always have a target infront which you will push yourself to catch....Besides unless you are an absolute numpty or have a medical issue you should get through, just maybe not to your prefered choice of corps or regiment.

when you do get through initial selection my advice would be to join a local running club or run with someone and get fit (ideally 20 miles a week) by the time you join.....trust me you will find 1st/2nd phase far easier then the other recruits that have done sod all, but also you wont get "beasted" as much as the other recruits.

When i joined in 2002 i had spent the previous 7 months running anywhere between 20-30 miles a week, the results were i won best fitness recruit and it felt fairly comfortable right through all of my training....this may sound extreme but it was the paras that i joined.

If you need anymore advice feel free to pm me..

Good luck

I just kept on doing the 1.5 around my area as quickly as possible. We went to Ireland a few weeks before I joined. Worked out what speed i needed to go for a good time (think about 11mph) and got my dad to drive the car at that speed down a country lane, telling him not to slow down! That worked. As has been said you find that when you're running against people you will be much quicker as you're competing against them. Just keep hydrated as much as possible before you do it. Also, as turkish 14 has said, you'll still pass unless you're a tosser or fail the medical.

What unit you going to?

At the end of my Phase 1 I got mine down to 8mins 18secs, which was the quickest in my platoon. Also when we done the BFT (i think) that consisted of an 8mile tab with bergen and weapon over Cattericks training ground, followed by a 2 mile steeple-chase. Completed the tab easily enough and I was gonna disabled the steeple chase until my platoon sergeant turned up and announced anyone behind him wouldn't go home that weekend. I ended up winning the steeple chase out of the whole of the Scots Divison (dunno why I was put in there as I was going Coldstream Guards! My point is, when theres an incentive you always try much harder!

I just kept on doing the 1.5 around my area as quickly as possible. We went to Ireland a few weeks before I joined. Worked out what speed i needed to go for a good time (think about 11mph) and got my dad to drive the car at that speed down a country lane, telling him not to slow down! That worked. As has been said you find that when you're running against people you will be much quicker as you're competing against them. Just keep hydrated as much as possible before you do it. Also, as turkish 14 has said, you'll still pass unless you're a tosser or fail the medical.

What unit you going to?

At the end of my Phase 1 I got mine down to 8mins 18secs, which was the quickest in my platoon. Also when we done the BFT (i think) that consisted of an 8mile tab with bergen and weapon over Cattericks training ground, followed by a 2 mile steeple-chase. Completed the tab easily enough and I was gonna disabled the steeple chase until my platoon sergeant turned up and announced anyone behind him wouldn't go home that weekend. I ended up winning the steeple chase out of the whole of the Scots Divison (dunno why I was put in there as I was going Coldstream Guards! My point is, when theres an incentive you always try much harder!

I used to hate those last minute surprises that would just F**k up your whole weekend.....if not that then being dicked for gaurd duty! :mad:

I used to hate those last minute surprises that would just F**k up your whole weekend.....if not that then being dicked for gaurd duty! :mad:

Too right! I always made sure I came in front of the sergeant! Anything to get home at the weekend! Which batallion did you go to? Did you pass P Company OK? I thought about joining the Guards para Platoon they have in 3 Para, but I fkin hate log and stretcher races

Too right! I always made sure I came in front of the sergeant! Anything to get home at the weekend! Which batallion did you go to? Did you pass P Company OK? I thought about joining the Guards para Platoon they have in 3 Para, but I fkin hate log and stretcher races

I actually joined in january 2002 as an engineer, having been told parachute regiment was full and to go the 9 squadron route instead :angry: But i was fortuanate that the 1st phase at lichfield we were trained by parachute regiment intstructors which is where i started to engineer (excuse the pun) a transfer to the para's.....i still had to do 2nd phase engineer training at gibralter barracks before transfering over to helles barracks para reg and going bck to phase 1 week 5!! was overjoyed to do half of phase 1 again :ph34r: finally after jumps training went to 1 para, then 3 days after arriving was on a plane to kuwait for preparations on op telic 1.....those were the days....

Gaurds were at Helles bks? sure we used/payed you guys to polish our boots....if it was you lol thanks :thumbup:

Edit.... yes passed P company 1st time......and hope the last sentence RE:polishing didnt sound like i was taking the piss :blush:

I actually joined in january 2002 as an engineer, having been told parachute regiment was full and to go the 9 squadron route instead :angry: But i was fortuanate that the 1st phase at lichfield we were trained by parachute regiment intstructors which is where i started to engineer (excuse the pun) a transfer to the para's.....i still had to do 2nd phase engineer training at gibralter barracks before transfering over to helles barracks para reg and going bck to phase 1 week 5!! was overjoyed to do half of phase 1 again :ph34r: finally after jumps training went to 1 para, then 3 days after arriving was on a plane to kuwait for preparations on op telic 1.....those were the days....

Gaurds were at Helles bks? sure we used/payed you guys to polish our boots....if it was you lol thanks :thumbup:

Edit.... yes passed P company 1st time......and hope the last sentence RE:polishing didnt sound like i was taking the piss :blush:

Yeh, the Guards Div, Paras and Gurkhas were all based at Helles.

The Guards have been called much worse than comments about boot polishing! We were always told though that the Paras, Guards and Gurkhas were the elite of the army!

My old provost Sergeant at Phase 1 was a para- Lee Clegg!

Yeh, the Guards Div, Paras and Gurkhas were all based at Helles.

The Guards have been called much worse than comments about boot polishing! We were always told though that the Paras, Guards and Gurkhas were the elite of the army!

My old provost Sergeant at Phase 1 was a para- Lee Clegg!

The infamous Lee Clegg....im sure he was stll in when i left in 2006, and that he was anywhere between catterick and horrowgate as they would not allow him back into battalion. Though i maybe wrong...

Ahh thanks for the advice ! I don't know what Unit I'm going to yet but he said if all goes well there is spaces in January.

What kind of tests do they do in your medical at selection ? I passed my medical doctor forms but thats nothin I'm guessing !

Ahh thanks for the advice ! I don't know what Unit I'm going to yet but he said if all goes well there is spaces in January.

What kind of tests do they do in your medical at selection ? I passed my medical doctor forms but thats nothin I'm guessing !

Not taking the mick, but how can you join up not knowing where you want to go?

When I meant Unit, I meant which regiment are you joining? I'm sure we had to put where we wanted to go before we went on selection??

How old are you? If you're at school leaving age you may well be going Harrogate.

edit- Can't remember much regarding the medical, but yes they do grab your balls and ask you to cough. They do a urine test, so make sure you're clean of drugs! Can't remember much else

Ahhh no I'm 23

I have applied as a communication engineer in signals. I got the go ahead with that on the barb test and litrecy and numeracy tests. Just got to wait for the fitness tests to see wether I do get it! Otherwise I don't mind, I would do anything in the army, anything has got to be better than the office work I'm doing at the min !

I don't know where you train for the signals. Im sure there were a lot at lichfield when I went there for selection.

At least you've got age on your side. I think at 16 however mature you are, you're still naive.

What I mean is that taking my job now as an example, on building sites you see the apprentices get a bit of stick of the older blokes. I thought at the time that it was just the army and their training regime, but its not. Young lads always take a bit of stick regardless of their job. Had I of known that back then it'd have been easier to bear.

On the other hand, the first thing the training staff did on arriving at catterick was to let us know that they don't have time to fcuk you about like they did at our extended phase 1 at harrogate. At catterick they have 6months to turn a civvy into a soldier, so they don't have the time to piss you about and treat you like a kid.

Back to your run- I remember the PTI always saying that after the 1.5mile run, you should've given absolutely everything to the point where you can barely stand up afterwards. If you're doing it now and can still speak afterwards then you're not trying hard enough!

Another thing they may not tell you is that they'd sooner see someone busting a gut and coming in in just over 11mins, than someone whos superfit coming in in 9mins but not trying their best. They call it 'best effort'

I'm sometimes tempted to go into the TA in leicester, but i'm a lazy sod now and theres no way I ever want to go through those pain barriers again!

Rather you than me!

Haha its something I had always wanted to do. Ye at the career centre they say it's about effort not time asking as you hit the minimum putting all your effort in, when you get to basic they will train you to be fit!

I am struggling with pull ups as well I can barely do 3! lol I am putting all the effort now I might ring them and tell them to hold it back a month as it's only pre selection on the 19th and said I can call in if I don't think I'm ready !

It is Lichfield your right!

Run faster!

Brilliant.

Hit the gym and do interval sprints. Get on the treadmill and run as fast as you can for two minutes then rest for one minute and repeat until you reach 2/3 miles. This will increase your overall fitness and speed. The more you do it the quicker you will be able to cover the distance required.

If you want to increase your speed build up your legs.

Try doing 100 bodyweight squats every other day and then move onto sets of jump squats to increase your explosive power.

You can't go far wrong with pull ups and jump squats in terms of overall body strength.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Archived