Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Frustration

dosey bastard i forgot to sign in (admin plz del the above post)

something that would help speed up the website quite a bit, is to shut down the live streaming thread and ban any more from opening... they can ask people in chat for links and stuff, which leads onto my second idea

Changing the chat function would be a good idea aswell... to something that uses an outside chat, say for instance http://www.mibbit.com/ which uses outside IRC servers, that way all data in chat on match days doesnt go through this website, but a stand alone network of IRC (internet relay chat) servers such as demon. mibbit also has a free widget that we can use. we use this widget for a gaming clan i admin. its great as you can set up channel admins so it can be easily policed

this would offload a great deal from the foxestalk website.

another thing is a ban on animated gif's for user icons and signatures and also a maximum size for static picture signatures... some animated ones i've seen on here top over 2 megs in size (arsen wenger no tambourines). makes you think when there are up to 500 users reading threads such as the live streaming thread and that 2 megs gif has to be sent to every one of the 500 users thats 1gigabyte of useless information being sent out that is not needed (if those 500 people read it all at once), the data traffic will be much more as over the course of a match its way more than 500 people reading a thread

Off topic, but I didn't feel the need to start a new thread.

Since the clocks went forward, all the post times on here are now an hour behind, just wanted to know how to change the time, so it was in line with the recent time change?.

Disclaimer: By the way I am not frustrated with this issue :P

Off topic, but I didn't feel the need to start a new thread.

Since the clocks went forward, all the post times on here are now an hour behind, just wanted to know how to change the time, so it was in line with the recent time change?.

Disclaimer: By the way I am not frustrated with this issue :P

Top right of page, click on name. Should be a drop-down menu, click on My Settings.

Select GMT on the drop-down on the second row down (Time Zone).

If GMT is already selected, the cache sometimes need to be cleared, which can be done by pressing F5.

Top right of page, click on name. Should be a drop-down menu, click on My Settings.

Select GMT on the drop-down on the second row down (Time Zone).

If GMT is already selected, the cache sometimes need to be cleared, which can be done by pressing F5.

Cheers Stan :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

Not worth starting a new thread for , but i'd like to know how i can tell before i post a pic if it is acceptable ?

i've been putting a lot of pics in the music thread in the same post, but sometime a notice comes up say "that extention not allowed"

(it's not rude stuff or owt) , but it can be frustrating if you can't tell which piccy is not allowed among 3 or 4 pics

thank you good sirs :)

edit

oh and kind madams

Zingari, extensions have nothing to do with the content of the picture, an extension is, for example, .jpg or .png whatever your picture is, its not a jpg or PNG format. ;)

Thanks , but i'm not sure what you mean :blush:

How do I know before i try to post a pic if the extension is allowed so I don't keep seeing the notice telling me it's not.

You might need to be very patient with me :D

Thanks , but i'm not sure what you mean :blush:

How do I know before i try to post a pic if the extension is allowed so I don't keep seeing the notice telling me it's not.

You might need to be very patient with me :D

He means it's the format the picture is constructed with not the content of the picture.

At the end of the file name there is an extension such as 'zingaris_peg_collection.jpg' FT only accepts certain formats. I'm not sure which they are other than '.jpg' is ok. If you have one that needs converting email it to me. ;)

windows has been known to not show file extensions by default, its a pain in the ass that started with windows... every system i've build or fixed i've always turned on show file extensions.

i dont think IPB shows a list of allowed attachments, only to admins in an allowed attachments list.

untill you can get a list i would stick with jpg/gif/bmp .... it also may be that you are uploading an allowed filetype but that it is over an allowed attachment size limit, which would stop it uploading it aswell

you are allowed 4.88MB of attachments, if you log in and at top of page goto to left of the "SIGN OUT" click the drop down arrow by your username and select "MY SETTINGS", then in the left of your browser window goto "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" that will let you suprisingly manage your attachments and it will also show you how much of your storage you have used up

If you copy link location directly from Google images then the extension will just be a random letters and numbers, and not actually ".jpg" so you'd need to save the image and then re-upload it. Or find the direct link for the image and not the thumbnail from Google's cache.

Guest Zingari

Thanks for the answers chaps , but it's not that i'm having trouble posting pictures generally , it's just the odd one or two that cause problems .

it's not worth worrying about though :thumbup: I'll forget about it .

no but if the odd one or two are BMP's and those things can get ****ing huge i.e 10+ times the size of a jpeg then it will be those that are falling foul of the attachment size limits ;)

windows always comes in "shitty user mode" best to switch a few options and turn it into a more informative version... best for file management is windows explorer (windows key + E) in details mode.. with file extensions turned on... gives you complete file names + size info + date created /modified and any other options you want to turn on :)

no but if the odd one or two are BMP's and those things can get ****ing huge i.e 10+ times the size of a jpeg then it will be those that are falling foul of the attachment size limits ;)

windows always comes in "shitty user mode" best to switch a few options and turn it into a more informative version... best for file management is windows explorer (windows key + E) in details mode.. with file extensions turned on... gives you complete file names + size info + date created /modified and any other options you want to turn on :)

Thanks JF :thumbup:

The last time i started messing with stuff like that i had to get a proper man into come and fix it again so I'm going to let well alone.

It's really not important enough for me because it only happens rarely when I've posted multiple pics in the "guess the song" thread in the music forum

Jade Falcon for mod !!

trust me when i say it doesnt **** your system up, its settings that are already there, just not turned on by default, which in my oppinion should be turned on.

but its not just for when your uploading pics, it will also make your use of the system more efficient as it makes moving files so much easier plus you get to see what space files are taking up, especially when you have a downloads folder with web browsers such as firefox that dump everything in there. without the correct settings you wont have a clue whats taking up what space

just a quick screencap to show you exactly what kind of info it gives you... folders / filetypes / sizes / bottom bar = drive space and on bottom right total size of files in folders, also if i right click the top of the folder where it says name/size/type/modified i can add extra columns of information :)

http://homepage.ntlw.../desktoppic.JPG

trust me when i say it doesnt **** your system up, its settings that are already there, just not turned on by default, which in my oppinion should be turned on.

but its not just for when your uploading pics, it will also make your use of the system more efficient as it makes moving files so much easier plus you get to see what space files are taking up, especially when you have a downloads folder with web browsers such as firefox that dump everything in there. without the correct settings you wont have a clue whats taking up what space

just a quick screencap to show you exactly what kind of info it gives you... folders / filetypes / sizes / bottom bar = drive space and on bottom right total size of files in folders, also if i right click the top of the folder where it says name/size/type/modified i can add extra columns of information :)

http://homepage.ntlw.../desktoppic.JPG

Hmm you're using XP still though :P

yes because i dont need dx11 yet as it would need a whole new system, so no point moving over to 7 or even 8 and gaming is the only real reason to move over to dx11 otherwise everything else can be done with normal windows... i dont care for AERO interface as all it is, is nice looking desktop which i dont care for, i prefer usability :)

Archived