Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

Yeah there's probably one already but this one's made by me, so it's insta-better yo.

TV is a bit of a passion of mine, I've watched way too much over the past few years so I thought I'd throw a few suggestions/mini reviews at you lovely people and maybe it'll get some of you watching and talking about them too.

I'm going to post my 5 favourite shows for now, although they are in no particular order because it's always changing. I'll continue to add to them over time.

1. Six Feet Under - Seasons: 5

t6c6cz.jpg

This show follows members of the Fisher family, who run their funeral home in Los Angeles as well as their friends and lovers. The series traces these characters' lives over the course of five years in a number of hard hitting storylines. This show is not for the faint hearted, it will grind you down to a bubbling mess and if it doesn't, well...you're a bigger man than I am. Special mention has to go to the season finale which in all honesty is an outright masterpiece. Do it.

2. Breaking Bad - Seasons: 4~ (still airing)

q2yu.jpg

Breaking Bad is the story of Walter White (Bryan Cranston; Malcolm in the Middle, Drive), a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with advanced lung cancer at the beginning of the series. He turns to a life of crime, producing and selling methamphetamine with a former dropout student, Jesse Pinkman, with the aim of securing his family's financial future before he dies. It is one of the most well written shows I have ever seen and although cancer is a serious topic Bryan Cranston takes to it with his own brand of humor and unmistakeable mannerisms. Brilliant.

3. Band of Brothers - Seasons: 1

2eq9hso.jpg

A 2001 ten-part, 11-hour television World War II miniseries produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. Follows 'Easy Company' through pivotal battles in World War 2 and includes recorded interviews with veterans who were there in person back in 1945. I'm sure you will have heard/read about this show before but that's because it really is top tier television. I was never any good at History so I was unsure at first, but once you're in, you're set for an awe inspiring ride. The Battle of Bastogne episodes are sensational. Get on it.

4. Oz - Seasons: 6

e8aji8.jpg

Oz is a dark, 'out there' and quite a disturbing drama following the inmates of the Ozwald State Security Facility, a prison. Totally gritty and violent, you'll often find yourself wincing at the nature of what occurs in prison. Comes complete with your standard bent guards, drugs and rape and even has the odd psychopath here or there but it's a fantastic watch. It is less serious than the other shows mentioned so far but don't let that put you off, it depicts prison in all of it's *ahem* glory and you might see a few familiar faces along the way.

5. The Wire - Seasons: 5

10wih6v.jpg

The Wire is an American television drama series set and produced in and around Baltimore, Maryland. Each season of The Wire focuses on a different area/sector of the city. In chronological order they are: the illegal drug trade, the seaport system, the city government, the school system, and the print news media. Characters come and go (quite literally) throughout (most of which you will have seen from other shows in the past) but the writing, more specifically the dialogue, is second to none and goes a long way to gaining a truly realistic portrayal of urban life. A show that should not be missed under any circumstances. Also Omar.

-

These are my more serious suggestions, I have some comedy or more lighter hearted stuff which I'll post.

Dusted off the following so far

Inbetweeners

Lost

OC

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Prison Break

On the hold

Ugly Betty (One more season to go)

Heroes (Ditto as above)

Hustle (Two seasons to go)

Desperate Housewives ( Bought the boxset for my girlfriend-Regretting it since she decided it is compulsory for us to watch it together as a couple bonding time luckily I hid it before we could start and she forgot all about it)

Currently watching

Smallville (Season 3)

Wishlist

Game of Thrones

The Wire

CSI (The original but in the reality I can't be arsed to watch it all)

Edited by ChickenBoy

Guest ttfn

Over the last three Or for years I have watched the following (in order of favorites):

1) (and by a distance) The Wire

2) The Sopranos (still watching)

3) The West Wing

4) Cold Feet

5) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

6) Mad Men

They're all brilliant and would thoroughly recommend. That said, The Wire is untouchable in my book: the best piece of any sort of "art" I have seen.

Over the last three Or for years I have watched the following (in order of favorites):

1) (and by a distance) The Wire

2) The Sopranos (still watching)

3) The West Wing

4) Cold Feet

5) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

6) Mad Men

They're all brilliant and would thoroughly recommend. That said, The Wire is untouchable in my book: the best piece of any sort of "art" I have seen.

I'm gonna sound bad here, but never actually seen any of these.I need to get my arse into gear.

My favourite programs

1. Friends (Obvious, but awesome)

2. Firefly

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

4. Heroes season one (the others aren't as good, but season one is amazing)

5. The peep show (for people that like awkward comedy)

6. The Mentalist (quite good as far as detective programs go)

7. Justice League (Only Seasons one and two, for people who like cartoons)

Is Lost actually any good? I'm nearly finished with the Prison Break series and want another boxset to watch after it.

Borrowed Game of Thrones from my old man so I'll give that a watch as well. Saw the first episode and loved it!

I it wasn't for TV from USA I'd not watch anything.

Big Bang Theory

True Blood

Sons of Anarchy

Breaking Bad

Revenge

American Horror

Fringe

South Park

Bullshit

The Killing

and I'm about to start Eastbound And Down and Game Of Thrones

Is Lost actually any good?

It's decent viewing don't get me wrong but it becomes tedious after a certain point and by the end you're just glad it's over with.

It may be different if you're watching it on DVD straight through, I had to endure it for 5 years or so.

Not many British shows in these lists.

Luther is brilliant.

I pretty much only watch American TV,

Things I loved that are up date or finished

Lost (loved it)

24 (fantastic one or two week series but all in all quality)

Prison break (first season in fantastic goes slightly down hill after that)

Dexter (love it I don't think there s a better season on tv that season 4)

Sons of anarchy (incredible very under rated)

the walking dead (loved it both seasons)

Can't think of any more I have watched what I'm currently watching

Breaking bad (watched season 1 loved it need to start season 2!)

Game of thrones (season one epic season two has been good not as good as one

Friday night lights (loving it can't believe I have never watched it before 15episodes in to season 1)

Hawaii 5-o (great Sunday night leave your brain at home show)

Can't think of anything else that I watch but I just wish the bbc etc would take note and make some good series on tv!!!