Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

Anyone watching Fortitude series 2? I gotta be honest, I'm soldiering on through with it on Now TV. Think I'm about 7 episodes in and determined to finish it but it really is shit.

Loved season 1 despite a few flaws but 2 is toss. The writing and direction are terrible, as are most of the accents of the British cast trying to be Scandi. Given how many great Scandi drama actors there are who petty much all speak English, why did they cast Brits at all?

I don't mean the major actors like Michelle Fairley, Richard Dormer etc, I get that Sky wanted some known names. But the smaller parts like Petra, why cast an awful British actress to do a terrible Sofia Henin impression when you could probably have afforded to cast the woman herself?

The premise for season two is terrible. Ken Stott, a brilliant British character actor, has been given the limpest written, cringeworthy bond villain to try and do his best with and it's just sad.

If this is the best British crime drama we can come up with its no wonder people would rather watch a Danish one.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Anyone watching Fortitude series 2? I gotta be honest, I'm soldiering on through with it on Now TV. Think I'm about 7 episodes in and determined to finish it but it really is shit.

Loved season 1 despite a few flaws but 2 is toss. The writing and direction are terrible, as are most of the accents of the British cast trying to be Scandi. Given how many great Scandi drama actors there are who petty much all speak English, why did they cast Brits at all?

I don't mean the major actors like Michelle Fairley, Richard Dormer etc, I get that Sky wanted some known names. But the smaller parts like Petra, why cast an awful British actress to do a terrible Sofia Henin impression when you could probably have afforded to cast the woman herself?

The premise for season two is terrible. Ken Stott, a brilliant British character actor, has been given the limpest written, cringeworthy bond villain to try and do his best with and it's just sad.

If this is the best British crime drama we can come up with its no wonder people would rather watch a Danish one.

I'm only on episode two. As I enjoyed the first series I thought I'd carry on with it, but tbh, I had misgivings about it coming back. Some thing's are brilliant as stand alone series, such as Fortitude, Broadchurch, The Night Manager, but either haven't or wouldn't work in a follow up series. I think tv execs just need to realise when they are ahead sometimes.

Oh and the girl who plays Petra is Italian.

Edited by Facecloth

27 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm only on episode two. As I enjoyed the first series I thought I'd carry on with it, but tbh, I had misgivings about it coming back. Some thing's are brilliant as stand alone series, such as Fortitude, Broadchurch, The Night Manager, but either haven't or wouldn't work in a follow up series. I think tv execs just need to realise when they are ahead sometimes.

Oh and the girl who plays Petra is Italian.

She was born in Italy, she's British.

3 hours ago, browniefox said:

I watched series 1 and 2 of homeland and haven't bothered since. Should I watch the rest? Or does it get worse like so many do?

3 is... whatever.

I thought 4 and 5 were great though. And 6 seems good too.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Harry96 said:

One of the best series I've seen. Incredible show, can't wait for season 3.

I'm off sick so I've seen all but the last two episodes so far this week.

It's okay, it started brilliantly but I do find its starting to drag a little.

I think part of the problem is that it's so hard, so gritty and so dark that there's absolutely nobody to sympathise with and the longer it goes on the more I hate every character. I get the feeling they wanted a Walter White style slow-turn on your attitude towards Ciro but he's just been such an arsehole from so early I don't feel for him at all.

The Wire did a very good job of humanising the gangs, they lived in an immensely dark world and they were all products of that, as was their morality. 

Gomorrah should be the same in principal but everyone's a psychopath. You can have a Marlo Stanfield or a Stringer Bell when they're balanced out by Poot and Bodie and Slim Charles.

That's not the Wire being airy fairy or just "being accessible", it's the Wire being real life.

Gomorrah is good, definitely, and it can't be accused of glamorising criminals I'll give you that. But it does demonise Naples' underclass in a way that's got to be over the top, surely. Obviously I'm from neither West Baltimore or Vele di Scampia so I can't speak with complete authority.

But as a member of the human race I'm pretty confident we aren't literally all story book evil.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:Watched the first series, loved it but still haven't watched any more.

Definitely worth catching up in my opinion. First series was great but didn't grip my attention the whole time and quite often found myself reaching for my phone/tablet. Second series though - about the second episode in there's this brilliant, really intense scene that's essentially just 5 people in a room talking over a table but it's absolutely phenomenal. It hooked me right in and then it had me for the rest of the series and series 3. 

14 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Agree, brilliant show. Could do with another series like this and Luther to get my teeth into if you have any recommendations!??

Minds a blank unfortunately. Have heard good things about Happy Valley and have been meaning to get into for aaaaages. Need more intense dramas! 

Could not more strongly recommend Community. Absolutely hilarious show - probably the best American sitcom since Frasier. It's on Netflix but they're removing it on March 1st so hurry up - and watch episode 23 of series one "Modern Warfare" first; then watch from the start - that episode will help you 'get' the show. Do it!!!

• Like 1