Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Minds a blank unfortunately. Have heard good things about Happy Valley and have been meaning to get into for aaaaages. Need more intense dramas! 

Happy Valley first series is up there with line of duty for me, if not better. Definitely get that watched.

• Like 1

Just watching the new version of Roots. It's excellent.

I remember watching the original when I was a kid - seriously, everyone should watch it or read the book, just so they realise what slavery was all about and man's inhumanity to man.

• Like 2

Talking of that show, I was in the home end at Burton v Wolves the other week and a bloke behind me kept calling every one of our black players "Chicken George". I assumed it was somehow racist but didn't know until I looked it up when I got home. Never seen the TV series.

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Talking of that show, I was in the home end at Burton v Wolves the other week and a bloke behind me kept calling every one of our black players "Chicken George". I assumed it was somehow racist but didn't know until I looked it up when I got home. Never seen the TV series.

Shows he's got the mentality of a 19th century redness then.

On 5 February 2017 at 22:27, Finnegan said:

Anyone watching Fortitude series 2? I gotta be honest, I'm soldiering on through with it on Now TV. Think I'm about 7 episodes in and determined to finish it but it really is shit.

Loved season 1 despite a few flaws but 2 is toss. The writing and direction are terrible, as are most of the accents of the British cast trying to be Scandi. Given how many great Scandi drama actors there are who petty much all speak English, why did they cast Brits at all?

I don't mean the major actors like Michelle Fairley, Richard Dormer etc, I get that Sky wanted some known names. But the smaller parts like Petra, why cast an awful British actress to do a terrible Sofia Henin impression when you could probably have afforded to cast the woman herself?

The premise for season two is terrible. Ken Stott, a brilliant British character actor, has been given the limpest written, cringeworthy bond villain to try and do his best with and it's just sad.

If this is the best British crime drama we can come up with its no wonder people would rather watch a Danish one.

Couldn't disagree more, I enjoyed the 1st series but was suprised they'd done another 

because I didn't see where it could go, but IMO the 2nd series is superb and the acting

excellent especially  Stott despite his dodgy accent. ( I'm on episode 6 )

1 minute ago, rico said:

anyone watched Russia's Hooligan Army on BBC Iplayer?

interesting documentary about what happened in Marseilles during the Euros

Yeah caught that the other night. The amount of pride they seem to take in training to kick people's heads in is pretty disturbing

4 hours ago, Emilio Lestavez said:

Yeah caught that the other night. The amount of pride they seem to take in training to kick people's heads in is pretty disturbing

It's a hollow victory when heavily trained groups of sober hooligans beat up individual fat drunken England fans. The attitude of still kicking the **** out of lads when they're down is wrong as well.

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

It's a hollow victory when heavily trained groups of sober hooligans beat up individual fat drunken England fans. The attitude of still kicking the **** out of lads when they're down is wrong as well.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that shit drives me crazy.

Had many a scrap back in my school days. Guy went down and wasn't getting back up, that was the end. You start pounding on him while he's down and even your own mates would grab you off of him and smack you upside the head. They wouldn't be filming it with their phones either(that would have been really tricky at that time).

22 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Just watched the 2nd episode of " This Country" BBC I player.

Very rarely laugh out loud but several times I did.Few dull bits,but I will give the next one a try.

Yeah it's got that 'people who do nothing' feel about it. I love it.

4 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Anyone watch The Missing?

I've seen previews for series 2 that make me interested. How was season 1?

The Missing is very good IMO. First series was very good, Second series was even better. Desperately trying not to give anything away:

Series 1 is about the son of a British couple who disappears while they're on holiday in a small French town. It's told in two different timelines: the incident when Ollie goes missing and the aftermath; and 8 years later when his father returns to France to investigate new evidence with the help of a French detective. Both timelines interweave with each other, but it's very easy to follow - hair cuts, colour palettes etc.

James Nesbitt, Jason Flemyng, Ken Stott, Frances O'Connor, Arsher Ali and Tcheky Karyo make up the main cast.

Series 2 is a bit more complicated: it starts with the abduction of Alice Webster in 2003 from a British military school in Germany. Then it cuts to 11 years later when Alice returns after escaping, needing hospital treatment before being released to live with her family. This timeline then interweaves with another set 18 months later where much has changed - Alice's mum is investigating her daughter's reappearance while her family have struggled in the aftermath of Alice's return, and hilarity ensues. Again very easy to follow. 

Cast is: Keeley Hawes, David Morrissey, Laura Fraser, Roger Allam and Tcheky Karyo. 

The two series aren't really interlinked - they share one character as far as I recall (the brilliant Tcheky Karyo as Julian Baptiste) so watching them out of order shouldn't spoil too much though there are some references; I'd recommend watching Series 1 first to really 'get' the show. It's also very French/German language heavy.

Loved both series personally, I really hope they make more!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The Missing is very good IMO. First series was very good, Second series was even better. Desperately trying not to give anything away:

The two series aren't really interlinked - they share one character as far as I recall (the brilliant Tcheky Karyo as Julian Baptiste) so watching them out of order shouldn't spoil too much though there are some references; I'd recommend watching Series 1 first to really 'get' the show. It's also very French/German language heavy.

Loved both series personally, I really hope they make more!

Alright, you've sold it to me. From the second series preview, it seemed like a new show, but then saw it was the second and was a bit hesitant about watching the first. But I'll be watching the first before going into the second, I wouldn't think about skipping it even if they're only loosely connected. The language thing doesn't really bother me. After watching The Tunnel and Narcos, I've gotten used to subtitles.

• Like 1

Just started to watch Legion. Only two episodes has been aired but it seems OK. Its about a man who has been hearing voices since a young boy. It is first thought he is a Schizo but it turns out he has mind reading abilities. It may seem slow but more things are being revealed' Worth sticking with.

22 hours ago, FireFox said:

Finished the first series of The Missing. Two episodes into the 2nd.

Really good. Definitely worth watching.

Yes it's very good and gets better with a clever plot.

On a side note, I don't know if it's better to be able 

to watch a whole series or be forced to wait a week

for each episode.