Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

There's The Wire, and then there's everything else

I can't believe so many people still haven't seen The Wire. I mean, come on, it's the best television programme ever made. Watching the wire and then watching any other show, even the sopranos, is like going from driving a lotus to driving a toy car.

Edited by David the Caveman

With the wire I started it couldn't get into it must give it another go! To be fair I was watching it with my ex who has te attention span of a 3 year old!

If you don't watch much TV then jumping straight into The Wire is a rookie mistake. There's so much dialogue and so much to keep up with that you inevitably get confused.

If you don't watch much TV then jumping straight into The Wire is a rookie mistake. There's so much dialogue and so much to keep up with that you inevitably get confused.

Yeah I did think that I will give it another go after I have finished a few different things I'm watching,

First episode of this seemed pretty good. I can't give a review as I only watched one episode and then just part watched the rest but the woman says it was all good. Mind you, she likes Eureka and all that kind of crap so it could be a pile of shite.

First episode score of over 6 but under 7.

5p3810.jpg

recommend all these shows ive spent days of my life on over the last few years

Lost

The Walking dead

The Wire

Fringe

The Killing

Battlestar Galatica

Luthor

Misfits

Smallville

Falling Skies

Your avatar is a dead give away. ;)
  • Like 1

Your avatar is a dead give away. ;)

lost is the best tv show ever even though ill admit the finale was a bit messed up but the pleasure it gave me watching the show over the few years it was on has not been bettered since

For the person who said "Not many British shows" it really depends on what type of show you want to watch.

Britain undoubtedly makes the best mystery detective shows and the best period drama shows.

The new Sherlock series is an outstanding piece of work and for those who like Drama obviously Downton Abbey and the like are the best.

The thing is that most British detective series are not dumbed down to a level that the American market prefers - they are not predictable from the first sentence.

A few great English mystery detective series:

Morse

Lewis

Prime suspect

Foyle's War

Luther

Cadfael

Dalziel and Pascoe

Inspector George Gently

Midsomer Murders

Rebus

A touch of Frost

Zen

and many many more

Sitcoms may be mostly american at the moment but if you look back to the 70's you'll find that Britian already did that.

Comedy - you have the classics like Monty Python , Black adder etc...

Kids you have Dr.Who and many hundreds of classics.

Having said all that I agree that The Wire is a great series and proof that the U.S. doesn't only give dumbed down TV.

For the person who said "Not many British shows" it really depends on what type of show you want to watch.

Britain undoubtedly makes the best mystery detective shows and the best period drama shows.

The new Sherlock series is an outstanding piece of work and for those who like Drama obviously Downton Abbey and the like are the best.

The thing is that most British detective series are not dumbed down to a level that the American market prefers - they are not predictable from the first sentence.

A few great English mystery detective series:

Morse

Lewis

Prime suspect

Foyle's War

Luther

Cadfael

Dalziel and Pascoe

Inspector George Gently

Midsomer Murders

Rebus

A touch of Frost

Zen

and many many more

Sitcoms may be mostly american at the moment but if you look back to the 70's you'll find that Britian already did that.

Comedy - you have the classics like Monty Python , Black adder etc...

Kids you have Dr.Who and many hundreds of classics.

Having said all that I agree that The Wire is a great series and proof that the U.S. doesn't only give dumbed down TV.

I hate them all.

I hate them all.

But we already worked out that I am the Anti-you with regards to celluloid so it's not a surprise. In fact I'm relieved.

Doctor Who

Buffy the Vampire slayer

Angel

Battlestar Galactica

Heroes, (season one only)

Band of Brothers, follows Easy company of the American 101st airborne division from D-day to the end of WW2 and is based on true life events.

The Xfiles

Southpark

Simpsons

The Walking Dead

Cowboy Bebop the series, (Anime)

Sharpe

Black Adder

Babylon 5, ( one of the best space soap operas ever made)

Red Dwarf

Sherlock, six feature length stories so far with more to come next year due to both actors filming movies.

Edited by ithuriel

• 2 weeks later...

3 Part mini series. Just watched part 1 and very, very good. Stars Kevin Costner, Bill Paxton and Tom Berenger. Based on actual events as well, I believe.

"Anse Hatfield and Randall McCoy, close friends and comrades until near the end of the Civil War, return to their neighboring homes to increasing tensions, misunderstandings and resentments".

hatfields-and-mccoys-history-channel.jpg

Edited by MikeyT

prison break

sons of anarchy

the sopranos

breaking bad

games of thrones

the wire

lost

heroes

touch

hustle

numb3rs

deadwood

some others watched wasnt too bad but probally because had nothing else to watch

breakout kings

unforgettable

hawaii five o

the shield

lie to me

underbelly

I enjoyed all 8 seasons of house.

Maybe nearly every episode was the same but the characters were enthralling.

It needed a change a few seasons back - him being in the loony bin would have been a good place for a series and in the prison. It probably called it a day at just the right time.

I'll miss the sarcastic SOB