Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Scottish Independence Poll

Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?

• Yes - I want Scotland to leave the UK.
    • No - I want Scotland to stay in the UK.
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

A digression...... I wonder what became of acooling08, who started this thread in 2012?

4000+ posts over 5 years between 2008 and 2013, then he vanishes.

Did he suddenly get sick of FT? Get a permanent ban? Get banged up? Start supporting a different team? Win the lottery and move to the Bahamas? Drop dead? :o

I understand people trying it for a short while, then buggering off, or people deciding to only visit occasionally.....or just deciding to quit, I suppose.

I'm sure there are a few interesting stories behind the sudden disappearance of regular posters.

I'm half way through "The Fallen", a book about all the people who have been in The Fall (group) since the 1970s, why they left, what they're doing now etc.

Someone should do a bit of research and write a book about the disappeared posters of Foxes Talk....a bestseller, I tell you.

I'm not sure how many members we have, but I'd guess that statistically it's reasonable to assume a few deaths per year.

Do we have any statisticians feeling bored?

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

A digression...... I wonder what became of acooling08, who started this thread in 2012?

4000+ posts over 5 years between 2008 and 2013, then he vanishes.

Did he suddenly get sick of FT? Get a permanent ban? Get banged up? Start supporting a different team? Win the lottery and move to the Bahamas? Drop dead? :o

I understand people trying it for a short while, then buggering off, or people deciding to only visit occasionally.....or just deciding to quit, I suppose.

I'm sure there are a few interesting stories behind the sudden disappearance of regular posters.

I'm half way through "The Fallen", a book about all the people who have been in The Fall (group) since the 1970s, why they left, what they're doing now etc.

Someone should do a bit of research and write a book about the disappeared posters of Foxes Talk....a bestseller, I tell you.

I miss Zingari. He was always a good contributor and made folks think.

48 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'm not sure how many members we have, but I'd guess that statistically it's reasonable to assume a few deaths per year.

Do we have any statisticians feeling bored?

I'll have a stab at this, though a few assumptions will be made.

The overall death rate per year in the UK is 9.4/1000 pop, though of course that doesn't take into account age demographics and that many FT users live in other places (like myself). Making the assumption that most FTers are between 16-60 years of age (sorry Alf, you're an outlier) and so discounting those above and below that threshold, as well as assuming that the locations where most FTers live have similar death rates to the UK...the rate is approximately 2.22/1000 pop (according to the ONS data for the most recent year available - 2015.)

As FT has 21,214 members at the last count, a little bit of arithmetic shows that every year roughly 2.22*21.214 = 47 FTers (or at least those in possession of a FT account) cop it every year.

More than you'd think, though I'd hazard a guess that only a minority of those 47 are regular users.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I miss Zingari. He was always a good contributor and made folks think.

I'll have a stab at this, though a few assumptions will be made.

The overall death rate per year in the UK is 9.4/1000 pop, though of course that doesn't take into account age demographics and that many FT users live in other places (like myself). Making the assumption that most FTers are between 16-60 years of age (sorry Alf, you're an outlier) and so discounting those above and below that threshold, as well as assuming that the locations where most FTers live have similar death rates to the UK...the rate is approximately 2.22/1000 pop (according to the ONS data for the most recent year available - 2015.)

As FT has 21,214 members at the last count, a little bit of arithmetic shows that every year roughly 2.22*21.214 = 47 FTers (or at least those in possession of a FT account) cop it every year.

More than you'd think, though I'd hazard a guess that only a minority of those 47 are regular users.

Wow, that's more than I'd have expected.

Alf, though is only in his early fifties, I believe (younger than me :o).

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Wow, that's more than I'd have expected.

Alf, though is only in his early fifties, I believe (younger than me :o).

Ah, right! Sorry Alf!

It is more than you'd think, though out of the 20 odd thousand who have FT accounts I'd say only 2000-3000 (if that) use it regular?

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Ah, right! Sorry Alf!

It is more than you'd think, though out of the 20 odd thousand who have FT accounts I'd say only 2000-3000 (if that) use it regular?

Am I right in saying we could statistically expect to lose seven of those then?

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

Am I right in saying we could statistically expect to lose seven of those then?

I would say between 5-6 if you take the 2000-3000 figure as reasonably accurate.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

You have to think quite a few posters lose login details and just set up new accounts too. I've seen quite a few posters say this is not my original account.

Yeah, I think that can be factored into the 90ish% of accounts that don't get used much/at all.

2 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Well, we do have crap life expectancy up here.

I'm off for a deep fried pizza in batter.  :whistle:

Climbing Ben Nevis and then coming down and having a deep-fried Mars Bar from a chippy in Fort William was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Climbing Ben Nevis and then coming down and having a deep-fried Mars Bar from a chippy in Fort William was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

I'd have been more impressed if you'd climbed Ben Nevis AFTER eating a deep-fried Mars Bar, Mac.....though you'd have then been a candidate to feature in your own death statistics. :ph34r:

@Buce is generous calling me "early 50s" - "early" has definitely crept into "mid".

Archived