Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Scottish Independence Poll

Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?

• Yes - I want Scotland to leave the UK.
    • No - I want Scotland to stay in the UK.
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.

I've never been as torn on something. If the vote was genuinely close I'd be in a right quandry.

I'm a commited Unionist with Scottish family but the of finally releasing this financial burden off us, hearing the end of how we keep the down and losing all those Labour seats would just be too much to resist supporting I think.

The white paper actually states they will give free tuition to students from Europe except England, but it's not an anti-English party lol

I want Alex Salmonds money tree as well, anyone know where its hidden?

I know that this has been discussed a little elsewhere but surely such a big issue deserves it's own topic/poll.

Personally I want to see Scotland to leave the UK for these 2 main reasons:

- I vote Conservative (they're not brilliant but labour/lib dems are dreadful). Without Scotland, the Tories are bound to do much better in elections.

- Scotland takes more money out of the pot than it puts into it if you compare it to England, Wales & NI. I think we in England will be better off financially without them. No more paying to subsidise Scottish prescriptions etc!

What is the general opinion here? (As it's very left wing, probably pro-union!)

We won't be better off financially, according to an all party discussion I saw on tv a couple of weeks ago.

I am half Scottish, and consider it far more sensible for Scotland to remain in the U.K.

There was a thing on the BBC News this morning about what would happen to the BBC if Scotland got independence. Apparantly Salmond believes they will inherit all the BBC properties currently belonging to the BBC in Scotland and they will have their own channel called SBC. However, a poll revealed that the independence vote could lose almost half their votes if Scots thought they would lose their regular episodes of Eastenders! lol

Well I suppose they need something to cheer them up every evening after coming in from Scotland.

There was a thing on the BBC News this morning about what would happen to the BBC if Scotland got independence. Apparantly Salmond believes they will inherit all the BBC properties currently belonging to the BBC in Scotland and they will have their own channel called SBC. However, a poll revealed that the independence vote could lose almost half their votes if Scots thought they would lose their regular episodes of Eastenders! lol

Well I suppose they need something to cheer them up every evening after coming in from Scotland.

lol Thats what shocked me aswell. 

Cant we just do what the Indians did to the SIkhs in punjab in the 1980's and rape and pillage and kill any dissedents?

lol

I know that this has been discussed a little elsewhere but surely such a big issue deserves it's own topic/poll.

Personally I want to see Scotland to leave the UK for these 2 main reasons:

- I vote Conservative (they're not brilliant but labour/lib dems are dreadful). Without Scotland, the Tories are bound to do much better in elections.

- Scotland takes more money out of the pot than it puts into it if you compare it to England, Wales & NI. I think we in England will be better off financially without them. No more paying to subsidise Scottish prescriptions etc!

What is the general opinion here? (As it's very left wing, probably pro-union!)

Pretty much agree with everything you wrote there.

If they want to be independent then let them.. can't see how it would benefit them though.....

It's this kind of ill thought out wankery that stirs up anti-English feeling where there was none before.

Now I'll confront chip-on-the-shoulder nationalism as much as the next man, but honestly, sometimes I am ashamed to be English.

FFS

(Pro Union, by the way)

Oh come off it.. the Scottish don't need us as their fuel for anti - English feelings... they can work up plenty of it by themselves. ...

Oh come off it.. the Scottish don't need us as their fuel for anti - English feelings... they can work up plenty of it by themselves. ...

You are correct, insofar as I agree that the Scots don't necessarily need us English to indulge in anti English feelings, but I would contend that you overestimate the extent of such feelings up here.

In my experience, irrational Anglo-Scots emnity also works the other way around.

As an Englishman who has lived up here for the best part of 20 years, I can tell you that whatever stereotypes you might be basing your opinion on, I have only ever had any bother a couple of times solely on the basis of my Englishness. I got more stick in brief sojourns Germany and France for being English than I ever did during a vastly longer period in Scotland.  On balance, and almost despite themselves, the Scots like England, get along with the English and (plase ignore Alec Salmond) want to stay in the Union.

The points I was making were that English people standing the other side of the border giving the finger to Scotland is not ever going to help the cause of those who favour the Union and that those who treat the Independence debate (on both sides) as a Scotland -v- England thing are way off.

I stand by my assertions, even if they were made 6 months ago...

I believe that Scotland will vote to stay, within the UK.

In the Highlands of Scotland I believe the majority of folk will vote to leave and go it alone. The southern half of Scotland is far more industrial, and they tend to rely more on England for maintaining that industry. Also, there a many more people living in the southern half, than in the northern.

I don't want to become half foreign over night. Well, it just ain't natural.  :rolleyes:

You are correct, insofar as I agree that the Scots don't necessarily need us English to indulge in anti English feelings, but I would contend that you overestimate the extent of such feelings up here.

In my experience, irrational Anglo-Scots emnity also works the other way around.

As an Englishman who has lived up here for the best part of 20 years, I can tell you that whatever stereotypes you might be basing your opinion on, I have only ever had any bother a couple of times solely on the basis of my Englishness. I got more stick in brief sojourns Germany and France for being English than I ever did during a vastly longer period in Scotland.  On balance, and almost despite themselves, the Scots like England, get along with the English and (plase ignore Alec Salmond) want to stay in the Union.

The points I was making were that English people standing the other side of the border giving the finger to Scotland is not ever going to help the cause of those who favour the Union and that those who treat the Independence debate (on both sides) as a Scotland -v- England thing are way off.

I stand by my assertions, even if they were made 6 months ago...

Interesting read. I have been fortunate to travel quite widely and live and work in Europe and Edinburgh is the only place in the world I have suffered open racial abuse for being English.

Personally I think the question of their independence is wider than that being asked. That the rest of the Uk appears to have no say under what terms they should leave is a poor thing.

I don't hear anything mentioned about how much of the national debt should be transferred to an independent Scotland. Let's start with the billions paid out by Uk tax payers to prop up their national bank to kick off with. Then there's the whole situation on them keeping the pound. There are certainly other things which affect the whole of the uk and on which most of us are not being given a say.

Archived