Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

'DIETING/GETTING IN SHAPE'

I'm about 14 stone, maybe slightly under. Want to get down to about 13.

My weight's a bit misleading, because I've been weight lifting regularly for the past 5 years or so, so I'm not particularly fat. However, still have a little bit of excess that I wouldn't mind getting rid of. I do a fair bit of cardio, I just need to stop eating crap. That's the hard part :(

Never ceases to amaze me the crap that people eat. Throughout the nineties and noughties everyone was freaking out about fat, but paying lip service to the amount of sugar they consume in highly processed foods.

If you want a sweet drink with low GI try coconut water (not coconut milk!), or try juicing some carrots. Avoid anything that has glucose syrup, fructose, dextrose etc on the label.

Going back to the previous poster - Oasis is particularly bad, as it's full of both sugar and aspartame, that said it is about half the sugar of coke.

Breakfast cereals are also a massive culprit for sugar, especially some of the ones labelled as healthy.

If you want to lose weight don't drink diet drinks or any foodstuffs that have the sugar substitute aspartame in them because they have the reverse effect of weight loss on your body. If you don't believe me look this phrase up. "cephalic phase response". Proof. How many skinny people do you see ask for diet coke.

One more thing. Summer was a terrible time to decided to do this. I'm gagging for a beer every evening with this nice weather in Sheffield. So many pub gardens crying out to be sat in. Saving a bit of cash though I guess.

I know this is a diet thread, but the summer is usually when I lose most weight and train a hell of alot more.

I just seem much more motivated in the summer and despite (usually) being hot I prefer training in the heat - let's just say this summer has been an exception due to summer being cancelled this year.

Never ceases to amaze me the crap that people eat. Throughout the nineties and noughties everyone was freaking out about fat, but paying lip service to the amount of sugar they consume in highly processed foods.

If you want a sweet drink with low GI try coconut water (not coconut milk!), or try juicing some carrots. Avoid anything that has glucose syrup, fructose, dextrose etc on the label.

Going back to the previous poster - Oasis is particularly bad, as it's full of both sugar and aspartame, that said it is about half the sugar of coke.

Breakfast cereals are also a massive culprit for sugar, especially some of the ones labelled as healthy.

The first +1 I've ever dished out! I hope your proud of yourself

oqjwZ.gif

Sorry, I believe I'm right on this one.The only way to steadily, healthily lose weight is to eat less. I'll stand by that. There are plenty of more convoluted ways to attain short-term or unsustainable weight loss but they're not worth it.

Calories in - calories out = net weight loss/gain fundamentally

I found that weight loss was mostly a change of attitude towards eating.

Sorry, I believe I'm right on this one.The only way to steadily, healthily lose weight is to eat less. I'll stand by that. There are plenty of more convoluted ways to attain short-term or unsustainable weight loss but they're not worth it.

I'm not arguing that, only that there are more and less efficient ways of going about losing/gain fat and muscle.

Surely exercising more is also an option.

I know a few people who have lost loads of weight on the Atkins diet, but all put most of the weight back on when they came off of it. I think the problem could be that you get used to eating all of the 'wrong' kinds of foods and find it hard to stop.

I have lost weight simply by cutting out the crap (biscuits and crisps), and by trying to control portion sizes. I have also cut out eating between meals, eating the food whilst it is being cooked, and finishing off the kids food when clearing away their dishes. I have in the past cut out alcohol for a months, and the weight dropped off then.

I would also advise people to look at labels, and try to choose sugar free alternatives. I.e. choose a sugar free squash drink rather than the standard.

You are correct, mostly....

Except, it isn't this simple.

100 calories of pasta vs 100 calories of beans for example. One is high in 'fast carbs' the other is high in 'slow carbs'. Your liver metabolises the the sugars in a different way, and as I understand the closer the carbohydrate resembles glucose (pure sugar) the quicker it is turned to fat if not burned. (I'm no biologist, just going on what I've read in various places)

Examples

http://nutritiondata...products/4284/2

http://nutritiondata...nd-pasta/5724/2

Which are the best brands of coconut water? Are there any decent cheapish ones?

The tastiest cheap one (about 70p a can) I've found is Grace Coconut Water with bits but I'm not sure how healthy the cheap ones are. I've just had some amazing Celebes Organic Coconut Water but it's over £2 for 330ml so not sure if I can afford to keep drinking that every day.

And does anyone know about those mega green powder drinks? They're about £30 for a months supply but I've heard they are very good. Are they worth the money?

100 calories of pasta vs 100 calories of beans for example. One is high in 'fast carbs' the other is high in 'slow carbs'. Your liver metabolises the the sugars in a different way, and as I understand the closer the carbohydrate resembles glucose (pure sugar) the quicker it is turned to fat if not burned. (I'm no biologist, just going on what I've read in various places)

Examples

That's what I thought. For example if you consume 1000cals of sugar and then go to sleep, you'll be putting on fat even if your total calories consumed for the day is still at or below maintenance.

Which are the best brands of coconut water? Are there any decent cheapish ones?

The tastiest cheap one (about 70p a can) I've found is Grace Coconut Water with bits but I'm not sure how healthy the cheap ones are. I've just had some amazing Celebes Organic Coconut Water but it's over £2 for 330ml so not sure if I can afford to keep drinking that every day.

And does anyone know about those mega green powder drinks? They're about £30 for a months supply but I've heard they are very good. Are they worth the money?

The stuff I've been drinking is Vita Coco which is pretty nice. Also Taste Nirvana is a good brand.

Mega green powders? Take a look at http://myvega.com/. I tried for a while but didn't like the taste. These days I have a green smoothie with breakfast most days that we make up with various powders we buy (maca, chorella, green tea, lucuma etc) plus fruit and spinach. Quite easy to do and much cheaper.

Examples

I don't disagree, but:

a) These factors are subtle compared to just eating less.

b) A calorie control (ie. eating less) diet will shrink your stomach and appetite, meaning more sustainable weight loss.

I appreciate that different things work for different people. But I have successfully lost shitloads of weight and also seen people succeed and fail via different methods. Everybody I know who has used some sort of 'scientific' diet (for want of a better word) has put weight back on after finishing the diet. All those I know who have lost weight and kept if off have simply changed their attitudes to how much they eat and of what sort of stuff, by which I mean cutting out junk.

I don't disagree, but:

a) These factors are subtle compared to just eating less.

b) A calorie control (ie. eating less) diet will shrink your stomach and appetite, meaning more sustainable weight loss.

I appreciate that different things work for different people. But I have successfully lost shitloads of weight and also seen people succeed and fail via different methods. Everybody I know who has used some sort of 'scientific' diet (for want of a better word) has put weight back on after finishing the diet. All those I know who have lost weight and kept if off have simply changed their attitudes to how much they eat and of what sort of stuff, by which I mean cutting out junk.

Is that not an indictment of the individual though. I'm undertaking a 'scientific' diet but I plan to re-structure my diet to a much healthier and balanced one once I reach my goal weight. I'm not doing it with a mind to eating what I like once I've lost a bit of weight. I genuinely want to improve my health and fitness.

Another thing to note (which I think I mentioned briefly at the start of this thread) is commitment/willpower. Until I slipped a disc in my back a few years back I was a fit, athletic rugby player and I loved playing all sorts of sports. After the problems I had with sciatica (both the pain and the ongoing inability of doctors to make any progress with helping me) I became depressed and mopey. I had played rugby for literally 15 years between the age of 5 and 20 and after not playing and having this injury I became lazy and put on weight and it was ingrained that I wouldn't be able to enjoy sport again.

Anyway, the same applies to weight loss. I don't know if it's a personality thing or if everyone gets this way but I am very demotivated by slow progress, both with my injury and with weight loss. I said before that I lost a bit over 3 months but it wasn't that much and I slipped. With this diet I have seen great results in 3 to 4 weeks that I didn't even begin to see just eating healthier and doing a bit of exercise.

Like you said I guess, different things for different people.

I've shed a few pounds so far but my diet hasn't been as strict as I'd have liked but I'll get there. It'll be a slow process because in order to make it less boring, I let myself go a bit on the weekends by drinking beer and having my old foods. I do enough exercise and eat healthily enough so that after each week, it is worth it. However, I will be more disciplined from now on, and will start making my own meals so I'm not ruining (or improving) anyone else's.

There are a billion different diets, but if you aren't commited you will fail. I keep it Simple and really don't follow any diet and i've lost 20kg in the last 3 months and still go out to dinners and out on the piss with mates (not as often tho). I've just kept it basic, as many cardio and weight sessions as possible a week. During the week stay away from high carb foods and limit calories. Drink only water or green tea (great for metabolism).

Weekends i'm a little more relaxed but just try to be smarter, try not to go out as much and sometimes go out and just drive so i don't drink much. Still stay away from carbs, swap fries for vegies and stuff like that. I also make sure i never snack (well try to).

One thing i've learnt is that if you have a bad day just try harder the next day. Also don't set time frames or weigh yourself each day. I never weigh myself i just let my clothes and other people do the talking. As the scales aren't a true indication as i know from my experience i've put on a lot of muscle. The reason i mentioned don't set time frames as if you aren't on target it's easy to give up. Give yourself other goals one of mine was to run in a 10km fun run in October. So that is pushing me during the cold winter nights to head out and run. As i don't want to come last or let myself down by not finishing.

Hope the above essay helps or if u got any questions feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...

Down from 235lbs/107kg ---------> 205lbs/93kg

Had a few lapses the last couple of weeks. Freshers happened so beer was drank a bit too heavily and often and there were also a few burgers and pizzas thrown in. Back in the gym and on the diet again now and it's going well. Really happy with 30lbs lost in 11 weeks. Dropped comfortably to a 34" waist and back in L tops instead of XL's which I'm chuffed about. Still not happy looking in the mirror so I think I'm gonna keep on past the 14st goal.

There were a few others trying to shed a bit last time, anyone going well/started to get in shape in general?

ALSO IF A MOD HAPPENS TO READ THIS, WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE TITLE TO 'DIETING/GETTING IN SHAPE' OR SOMETHING APPROPRIATE LIKE THAT, CAN BE APPLICABLE TO MORE PEOPLE THEN, CHEERS.

Archived