Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Gone Fishing!

I enjoy a spot of fishing, albeit I'm a 'fair weather fisherman'.

I thought I'd start a thread to see whether anyone else on FT goes fishing, where you go, tactics you use etc.

My favourite species is Perch and I love to go for a big un.

Does anyone know of local waters where big Perch lurk for instance. Some of the best I've caught have been in the canal near to where I live.

Anyway, if else enjoys this pastime and wants to share anything then please do so.

I used to do a great deal of fishing in the Thames, when I was younger.

The first fish I caught was a red Perch, under Marlow bridge.

In 1963 we moved to Bisham, and the house was next door to the Abbey. Night fishing was my favourite, and I used to use coffin ledgers most of the time. A bit hit and miss, I grant you, but I caught some good specimens over the years, including Roach, Bream, Barbel, Eels etc.

When I got married, we moved, and sadly had all my fishing tackle stolen, and after that I never fished again, but I still have fond memories, especially fishing a small pond full of Carp, and my own personal favourite, the Tench.

Happy days. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I used to do a great deal of fishing in the Thames, when I was younger.

The first fish I caught was a red Perch, under Marlow bridge.

In 1963 we moved to Bisham, and the house was next door to the Abbey. Night fishing was my favourite, and I used to use coffin ledgers most of the time. A bit hit and miss, I grant you, but I caught some good specimens over the years, including Roach, Bream, Barbel, Eels etc.

When I got married, we moved, and sadly had all my fishing tackle stolen, and after that I never fished again, but I still have fond memories, especially fishing a small pond full of Carp, and my own personal favourite, the Tench.

Happy days. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I used to fish a small farm pond full of Carp - at 'Tilton-on-the Hill'. Sadly its now all drained to make way for new houses.

About the size of an acre, yet contained Carp of up to 20lbs!

I caught a 14 pounder once on a single red maggot and size 18 hook.

Me and mi mate used to cycle there and back from Humberstone, with our kit tied onto the back of our bikes.

We got home knackered but it was grand..

Happy days!

:thumbup:

• 3 years later...

I was going to start a fishing related thread after seeing the Train Enthusiasts but then came across this one.

Are there many people on here who still go? I try and go as much as possible, usually on The Soar from Jubilee Park in Enderby down towards Aylestone Meadows. I love whatever the weather, I've been doing since I was a kid and I can't think of anything better on a summers evening (or any time of day for that matter).   :fishing:

about ten years ago now me and some friends went deep sea fishing off of the coast in Wales for mackerel. we came up with an agreement, every time someone catches a fish we had to pass it around for the others to kiss it on the lips. the last person to catch a fish had to eat some fishes eyes. Raw. Needless to say, i was the last one of our group to catch a fish...

We caught loads. I was really impressed that as soon  as the captain of the boat switched the engine off, we started pulling some out. On our way back to shore i said to the captain of the boat " that was impressive! How come you knew exactly where the mackerel were and where to stop the boat?

" This is where the end of the sewer lines are" was his reply.

I kept that bit of info to myself.

• 11 months later...
9 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

Anyone ever been ice fishing? Going for the first time at the weekend and was wondering if there's and hints or tips other people might have. ?

Wear a jumper.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

Anyone ever been ice fishing? Going for the first time at the weekend and was wondering if there's and hints or tips other people might have. ?

Don't fall in.

Ice fishing was very fun, different to the usual fishing I do in that it was probably the coldest I've ever been but very similar in that I didn't catch much. One Rainbow Trout that weighed about 2-3 lb. 

Was as mental being on ice that was just over a foot deep, I tell you what drilling the hole is quite the workout.

We had some creative drillers.

IMG_0155.JPG

Going fishing/ camping this weeked, actually..

I think some people are missing the pooint of fishing, at least for me anyway, by calling it boring.

I  take alot of joy in life by actually sitting down and doing very little. just by slowing down, i collect my thoughts, i admire the beauty and serenity of being outside... I also love water.. i find it very peaceful...

Archived