Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcFc_Smiv

'Dear all'

Really interesting reading, we need more of this stuff.

Well I'm sure a lot of us will have things like this hidden away somewhere, I know my granddad was involved in R&D I can't remember if he was involved in developing the great panjandrum, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjandrum or just worked in that department, but I don't know if he would have been writing letters home or not as he wasn't on the front line, but I will look into it, I bet many others on here have access to these kind of letters.

• 1 year later...

Thought this might be an appropriate time to post this....

This is a website where a relative is transcribing letters, on the 70th anniversary of when they were written and publishing them.. Interesting read, actually...

John Moore was born in the small village of Walton in Leicestershire in December 1923, he died in Leicester in August 2008 aged 84.

In 1942, at the age of 17 he joined the British Army. On clearing his house after his death I found six bundles of letters, never mentioned and half hidden in the roof of his bungalow. From 1942 – 1947 he had written letters home to his family and they had kept them all, over 500 of them.

The letters tell a tale of a critical time in history from the perspective of a British soldier. We are transcribing the letters publishing each here on its 70th anniversary. The first letter was written hastily when he arrived at Catterick for training on 3rd September 1942.

Here's the website link if anyone is interested in reading them...

http://dearall.co.uk/

Archived