Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester Piggott

Nino Kuni

Got it.

It's ****ing lovely. Studio Ghibli brings out my inner Finnegan so I was all over this from the off.

Only a few hours in but everything suggests it's going to be brilliant. Apparently hard to get hold of though so you better be quick. It'll end up like Ico/Shadow of the Collossus in that it'll sell for a fair bit on eBay.

Got it.

It's ****ing lovely. Studio Ghibli brings out my inner Finnegan so I was all over this from the off.

Only a few hours in but everything suggests it's going to be brilliant. Apparently hard to get hold of though so you better be quick. It'll end up like Ico/Shadow of the Collossus in that it'll sell for a fair bit on eBay.

Understood. I need it in my life I think.

The wife bought me it. Its really good although I've had to turn the waypoint markers off, which certainly for the 3 hours or so I've played just make the game a 'go where the map is flashing' exercise.

Apparently it really opens up about 6/7 hours in.

I like the mechanics though and the feel of the game is superb. The art style is very individual and the game is very beautiful in its own way (although not in 1080 res? why not?)

I did it. I bought a PS3 mainly because this game. Played and finished Uncharted 1, which was decent, until this beauty arrived from internet seller. About 12 hours in and just unlocked the abilty to tame familiars, which turns out to be a wonderful and serious time consuming thing.

I absolutely love the artstyle and the Drippy character. The battles can be confusing at times, but I think I prefer it over turnbased, as you have to be more involved and on your toes.

All in all it is so far an amazing experience and I constantly want to get back into the wonderful 'nother world.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Sequel out later this year.....

Can't wait!

Because you bumped this thread I've just looked up the original and holy shit it looks amazing:  A Studio Ghibli-drawn JRPG where one of the key elements of the game is a free-moving twist on Pokémon style mechanics sounds so far up my alley I really can't comprehend how has this game has completely passed me by for 4 years.  I'm getting a copy off Amazon right now and dusting off the PS3.  Torn between thanking you for bringing it to my attention or cursing you for effectively erasing hours of my life in the near-future.

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Because you bumped this thread I've just looked up the original and holy shit it looks amazing:  A Studio Ghibli-drawn JRPG where one of the key elements of the game is a free-moving twist on Pokémon style mechanics sounds so far up my alley I really can't comprehend how has this game has completely passed me by for 4 years.  I'm getting a copy off Amazon right now and dusting off the PS3.  Torn between thanking you for bringing it to my attention or cursing you for effectively erasing hours of my life in the near-future.

I had Ni no Kuni and it is a great game. Good story (from what I remember) but the characters are mental. The little thing with a lantern in its nose has a dodgy welsh accent lol 

Been a while since I played it so cant remember much about it. I know I enjoyed it though so the announcement of a sequel is good news. Might go on Wikipedia now to refresh my memory

Just watched the trailer to the first game. I remember it all now. Mr Drippy is the little welsh dude and is a brilliant character. There were some really good boss fights in the game and you taming creatures to fight alongside you was really good.

You will love it Llama if its your sort of thing. JRPGs are always brilliant stories. Personally I would love a Skies of Arcadia sequel

12 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's a pretty special game.

The only thing that pissed me off was the lack of decent side quests. Leveling up can be a grind.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/01/2017 at 14:13, Trav Le Bleu said:

You're welcome. :P

You won't be disappointed.

Well that was equal parts delightful, bonkers and thoroughly wtf. :D  I genuinely don't know where to start with this game - it's clearly a designated child-friendly game in many ways but the difficulty curve is hugely unforgiving to the point where I would struggle to recommend it to any kids I know (because being a single man in his late-20's I know lots of children).  There weren't nearly enough Ghibli animations for my liking, I'd kind of expected them to make up the bulk of the cut-scenes but in the end most of it was in-game graphics so that was a little disappointing after the long sequence at the beginning.  I didn't see the point of the broken heart mini-quests, in fact the side quests in general were mostly a bit shit tbh.  The storyline made absolutely no sense, like, even once you accept all the magic and stuff, this is essentially a game about a 13 year old (?! I thought he was like 10 until I just looked it up) child whose mother dies, apparently leaving him with full ownership of the family's house where he lives without a guardian or evident source of income (though I can imagine a few ways for a magic-wielding teenager to make dough) and none of the townsfolk (or indeed extended family if he has any) show any concern for his wellbeing, indeed none of them even notice how the child whose mother just died keeps disappearing for ages or how he takes to flying around town on a broomstick (in the very final cutscene - not actually something we got to do in the game despite being given the spell for it halfway through and only being able to use it once to clean some twat fairy's shop).  The combat's really close to being a great system but apart from a short period somewhere around the middle of the game you're not really required to make full use of it and by the end if you can't get away with spamming one familiar's attacks (and Oliver's spells for the bosses) then you're doing something wrong.  So in many ways this is a game which doesn't quite live up to its immense levels of promise.

BUT

It has a town with a cat for a monarch and everybody addresses him as "your meowjesty". 10/10

Also: Puss in Boats. 11/10 best game ever.

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

If you approach a Studio Ghibli project with the anticipation that it will somehow make sense, then of course you will be a little disappointed.,

No shit :D

It just bugged me a little how every time the game asks you to go back to the real world apparently nobody in it felt the need to look after - or even express any concern for - a newly-orphaned child.  This isn't about suspension of disbelief since it's not made out to be a deliberate part of the storyline at all so essentially it's just a hole in the gameworld, one which makes the residents of Motorville appear callously heartless.  I'm trying but I can't think of any of their films where that same kind of oversight-based logical dissonance applies.

The inter-world travel btw, huge missed gameplay opportunity that: You only ever traverse worlds as an on-rails storyline device as and when the game makes absolutely clear that you need to do so, I waited all game for a puzzle or two based around this mechanic for you to figure out on your own but they never materialised.

I should probably point out that I did actually enjoy myself playing this game. lol 

Archived