Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

To be fair, if the centre hadn't been pulled over by the Highcross then I think we would have been okay. It's only the shitty shops on High St, Humberstone Gate and Gallowtree Gate that make it look a bit grubby.

I think that the buildings themselves are actually quite nice. Take the bookies at the top of high street for example, nice building, Market Street. Pocklingtons Walk, The Lanes, New Walk, St Peters Square. All nice areas, just a lot of shit shops (minus St Peters Sq) that make it look run down.

I think that Leicester just doesn't have a "vibe" like other bigger cities have. When you go out in Newcastle, London, Bimingham etc everybody seems friendly and up for a good time. In Leicester everybody want to act the hard man and no one talks to each other. Look at somebody the wrong way and you'll end up with a black eye. A night out in certain clubs seems to present you with a roomful of people trying very hard to pretend to be rich and it's a very uptight atmosphere.

A good measure of a city is how many lifestyle migrants from developed countries there are living there. For instance in the likes of London and Manchester you'll find Americans, French, Germans etc. These people chose to live there because they like the lifestyle.

You barely get any if those people in Leicester. Almost every migrant is economic and from a poor country. No domestic lifestyle migrants ever come to Leicester either. Most people born here who have their head screwed on leave. The only white people who stay in Leicester are either dumb, cultureless or scared.

• Like 1

That's odd because I've lived all around the world, experienced cultures from all over the globe and obviously not scared to

move yet I came back to leicester because I love it...and as for dumb well I guess plenty of regional mangers of international companies can be dumb so I guess I must be.

A good measure of a city is how many lifestyle migrants from developed countries there are living there. For instance in the likes of London and Manchester you'll find Americans, French, Germans etc. These people chose to live there because they like the lifestyle.

You barely get any if those people in Leicester. Almost every migrant is economic and from a poor country. No domestic lifestyle migrants ever come to Leicester either. Most people born here who have their head screwed on leave. The only white people who stay in Leicester are either dumb, cultureless or scared.

Well, I'm a white person who moved to Leicester from elsewhere. Admittedly, I moved here because it's where my missus is from and not as a "lifestyle migrant". I've lived all around the country and would rate Leicester as slightly better than average; better than Folkestone, Plymouth, Salford, Tintagel, Coventry or Hinckley; similar to Norwich; not as good as Brighton, Bath, London or Manchester (though the last 2 have different problems due to their size). I'd like to think that I'm not dumb, cultureless or scared.

Leicester isn't a beautiful city but there are a lot worse (try Salford or Coventry!) - and it punches above its weight for live music, sports etc. My main complaint echoes Lisa's from 2005 - many Leicester people seem very lethargic and lacking in dynamism.

Where I live, near Victoria Park, there are people from every country on the planet, some economic migrants and some attracted by courses or work at universities etc. People flock to London/Manchester in greater numbers because there are more jobs and courses there; the lifestyle's a bonus, as I'm sure there aren't many Americans or Germans in London living it up on the dole!

Interesting that you suddenly switch from nationality and class (implied) to colour...what's that all about? What do dumb, cultureless and scared non-white people do? And smart, cultured and brave non-white people? Do enlighten us!

That's odd because I've lived all around the world, experienced cultures from all over the globe and obviously not scared to

move yet I came back to leicester because I love it...and as for dumb well I guess plenty of regional mangers of international companies can be dumb so I guess I must be.

Correct me if I'm wrong (it could be someone else) but don't you live in Ashby De La Zouch?

Anyway on subject, I know Leicester extremly well and have done a bit of work the regeneration department at the City Council, and when people suggest to me that it's a shit hole, I sort of screw my face up make a meeehhing noise and admit "yeah it is a bit"

Parts of it are awful, Parts of it are nice, the centre, all things being relative, isn't brilliant but I've seen worse. I always feel safe walking around Leicester and always feel at home. It's ok, I like Leicester, but too much of it is offensive to the eye to not admit that it's not a bit of a grot hole.

I've seen quite a few places in my time though in England and over seas that make Leicester look like a Utopia, It's all a matter of opinion I suppose, I prefer Leicestrer to Manchester which has got much love in this thread for example, horrible place, always rains, grey, Mancs are a complete misery. Everything is too spread out, tramps all over the shop. Alot of the central residential areas are bordeline third world. Don't like it at all.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

Leicester is not a shit-hole, but it is not great, the problem is it lacks any sort of atmosphere in the centre especially late on, you compare it to some other cities where there is hustle and bustle and people milling around, you go through the city after about 7 and it is dead, this is true of a lot of English cities, not just Leicester.

Not lived there for a while so maybe I'm just not going to the right places, but even the bars and pubs just seem dead from the outside. I always thought the bit by highcross with the restaurants had potential to be livelier but it never is when I go past.

For shopping and everything else it isn't bad, but the night life is/was crap.

Bristol and Plymouth are much worse especially the former. Some terrible areas in Bristol where you can't even make eye contact with anyone, or you will face a knife attack. Terrible how this country on a whole is on a massive decline, rich are getting richer and the poor are forced to fight for the bread. It leads to depression and lack f hope which in turn leads to higher crime and graffiti expression.

Sad times.

I live in London, worked in Brighton for the first 3 years of my career and grew up in Surrey. I go up to Leicester about 3 times a year to see family and I can honestly say it's like going back in time 10 years.

I can't even explain it. Everything in the midlands just feels... 'grey'. Even girls still dress like it's about 2003. You're all just a good decade behind the south.

This post might annoy some of you, but it's just true. Sorry...

My sister is visiting me from south korea this month and we were talking about just this last night over a couple of beers. She had just spent a week in Leicester with our sister and we both agreed how Leicester and the midlands is just depressing beyond words.

Edited by z-layrex

Is that the same Brighton that has a massive problem with hard drug addiction, is a magnet for Nathan Barley/Hipster dickheads, social outcasts and one dimensional activist lefty scum?

I think I'd take being a few years behind the latest fashion (what a CRIME!) over living in that sordid little shit heap any day.

Is that the same Brighton that has a massive problem with hard drug addiction, is a magnet for Nathan Barley/Hipster dickheads, social outcasts and one dimensional activist lefty scum?

I think I'd take being a few years behind the latest fashion (what a CRIME!) over living in that sordid little shit heap any day.

I'm getting really confused now, Moose. If you chose to live in Leicester would that make you non-white, "dumb, cultureless or scared" or a "lifestyle migrant" proving what a good place it is to live? lol

Quite agree that being fashionable is over-rated, though. I'm so unhip that I had to look up Nathan Barley on Wikpedia to know what you were talking about, so I'm obviously even further behind the times than you are.

• Like 1