Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnaldo

Total War: Rome 2

As good as my laptop is, the loading speeds for Shogun 2 were rather slow and when I ramped it up to maximum graphics it was a bit of a strain on my machine so I'm not sure how Rome will handle. I imagine I'll be able to run it but not at full spec.

To be honest, I'm still a little disappointed they bowed to fan pressure and did Rome 2. It's the third title they've put out a sequel for now (fourth if you count Empire/Napoleon), I'd have much rather they'd gone for something like ancient China or even maybe Greece if they felt a need to come back to Europe.

If there's good enough non-Roman factions and a good amount of detail put in to Celts and Gauls I'll probably still play it, I've just never really been interested in Roman history.

Really looking forward to this, I just hope they don't rape us with DLC.

I think, compared to other companies, the DLC for Shogun really wasn't all that bad. We got spoiled with the value for money of TWM2:Kingdoms and I think a lot of people felt jilted that they didn't get the same out of STW2.

Really, though, none of them were particularly expensive and they all gave a fair bit of content. The Ikko, which came first iirc, was about the cost of a pint and a packet of crisps. Fair play really.

As good as my laptop is, the loading speeds for Shogun 2 were rather slow and when I ramped it up to maximum graphics it was a bit of a strain on my machine so I'm not sure how Rome will handle. I imagine I'll be able to run it but not at full spec.

To be honest, I'm still a little disappointed they bowed to fan pressure and did Rome 2. It's the third title they've put out a sequel for now (fourth if you count Empire/Napoleon), I'd have much rather they'd gone for something like ancient China or even maybe Greece if they felt a need to come back to Europe.

If there's good enough non-Roman factions and a good amount of detail put in to Celts and Gauls I'll probably still play it, I've just never really been interested in Roman history.

They've already said that the minimal specs will be the same as Shogun so you shouldn't struggle too much.

I'd have thought the American Civil War would have been the next step (unless the Empire expansions touched on that - not got a good enough PC to play Empire on.) I seem to remember that there were many new warfare innovations in that war.

Rome: Total War was absolutely amazing at the time. I must have been in 100s of hours of gametime by the time I'd beaten it for like the 10th time.

Rome II could be awesome too, they just need to keep it simple like Rome 1.

I went to the Rezzed game show yesterday and they had a demo on of Rome 2 with Egypt vs Rome.

Having not played a Total War game properly in 6/7 years I managed to win the 'easy' victory with Egypt at first attempt, but then lost when I tried the 'hard' Roman side going up the hill. However after a few hours of looking around the other games I came back and managed a Roman victory.

Turned out to be quite easy. The combined naval/land battle was manageable and lots of fun, and although I had no idea of the buffs and so on the developers that were there explained that there's a 3 part prologue you play before the campaign explaining what's what, so there shouldn't be too much confusion.

I'd have thought the American Civil War would have been the next step (unless the Empire expansions touched on that - not got a good enough PC to play Empire on.) I seem to remember that there were many new warfare innovations in that war.

Tbh while Empire and Napolean (mostly the latter) were good games I thought the gun combat was dull for the most part, you can't beat a bit of sword on shield ;)

I don't see why they have to keep coming forward in time. I hate the gunpowder games, Napoleon was reasonably popular but I felt it ruined the game a little.

I'd be curious to see how they'd handle "modern" warfare but I don't know that I really want to see it. Plenty of ancient cultures to cover.

• 2 months later...

I refuse to buy it now full price when I know it'll be half of that in a sale at Christmas or in the spring.

I'll likely play it eventually, though, I've owned most of the rest of the series. If not all of it I think?

If you pre-order before it comes out on Tuesday it's £28 on steam for download and £26 for a physical copy on greenmangaming. Plus you get a three Greek state factions with the pre order.

Boils down to whether you have the money or not really.

Might have to get this, wasn't interested in Shogun 2, but played up to Napoleon, and that was pretty good imo.

Only thing of credit I've ever done on a TW game is win the campaign as Scotland on Medieval 2 lol

No, it boils down to whether you have the patience. I can afford thirty quid but why bother when you can bank on there being a 33% discount within a few months?

£26 is a 35% discount. Plus the 3 free factions you get for pre ordering.

Apparently AI is pretty broken according to a lot I've read :/ Not even played it though so don't quote me!

Does seem a bit easy. I'm Macedon and I plough through pretty much any army on hard. May have to turn the difficulty up.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 19:00, Trav Le Bleu said:

Anyone watch Time Commanders the other day?

Nice battle, but the most shocking thing was Lynette Nusbacher.

She was a he on the original series.

A mate of mine works for a creative assembly ans I get lots of freebies (games etc)

Did anyone get the follow-up, Attila?

I've had it since release but I've only just got round to having a proper go as the Western Roman Empire, I'm 10/11 turns in after about four hours, I've not lost any settlements yet, only been successfully raided once but I mopped up the responsible army afterwards, and I've made some improvements to some of the infrastructure in the most rebellious regions. I've dealt with virtually all the wandering Germanic tribes, crushing the Suebians and Vandals and I've pushed the Alans,Ostrogoths & Visigoths pretty far into Eastern Roman territory, they should have the armies to mop them up. North Africa is stable at the moment but probably my most fragile area at the moment and Britain is a total fortress.

I've found that rather than total stalwart defence or attempting to conquer the Germanic tribes whilst leaving your underdeveloped/rebellion prone provinces vulnerable, the best method is to take an attack, buffer it and then counter-attack and raze their settlement, that way you have a hefty buffer between you and other Germanic/Nomadic tribes. 

Archived