Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

Don't give ken anymore ideas lol

No, I'm done with it.

Does put a dampener on the train of thought that the only ones that care about the ones that are skint are the ones that are skint. :) :) :)

The one who is leaving is taking up a role with another national charity and it will be a more hands on roll and productive.

There is a five year plan/strategy in place so the new CEO just has to implement it and keep it on track.

Edited by Rincewind

Does put a dampener on the train of thought that the only ones that care about the ones that are skint are the ones that are skint.

Yeah, hence there is no welfare state, no benefits handed out to the workshy, no charities in this country, no free NHS.... Oh, hang on, you're talking rubbish.

Someone pays for this all you know. What do you want from everyone? A constant outpouring of emotion about it? 

Yeah, hence there is no welfare state, no benefits handed out to the workshy, no charities in this country, no free NHS.... Oh, hang on, you're talking rubbish.

Someone pays for this all you know. What do you want from everyone? A constant outpouring of emotion about it? 

just be yourself. I was joking.

I would suggest everyone in this country cares for others and is concerned with the plight of others.

I think most would just say they don't mind helping people if those same people are happy to try to help themselves.

If they don't want to help themselves, don't give them any help. Let them go.

UK manufacturing saw its strongest growth in two years in June, according to a survey, boosting hopes of a strengthening economic recovery.

The Markit/CIPS purchasing managers' index (PMI) rose to 52.5 last month - its highest level since May 2011.

Any reading above 50 indicates growth in the sector.

The figure adds to the increasingly positive data released in recent weeks on the UK economy, which grew by 0.3% in the first three months of the year.

Other data suggests the services sector is showing signs of strength, and the construction sector - which has been a drag on growth - is stabilising.

Rob Dobson, senior economist at Markit, said he now expected GDP growth in the second quarter of about 0.5%.

"The near-term outlook for output also remains on the upside," he said.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23141396

GDP growth expected at 0.6%.

Now if they'd only get some big infrastructure projects up and running the economy would be positively booming.

Hi-Tech manufacturing. I've said it before, I'll say it again. We can't compete with the virtual slave labour in China et al for mass production, so let's expand our capacity to make much higher-tech items for a few different industries (medical, aerospace, communications etc). It would stop the mass exodus of smart STEM graduates who go to places where they pay much better for talent, and it would bring in a lot of money for the economy as high-tech products sell well and sell high to lots of different areas. 

Oh, and the varying British Governments need to start holding onto their patents once a British citizen gets a good idea, rather than selling the idea to someone else and seeing them make a massive wedge from it. Lost so many very profitable ideas that way. We've still got some of the best innovators in the world here, so give them some more backing!

Could do with sorting out further education in STEM. Too many grads coming out of a lengthy degree practically unemployable due to lack of real life experience. Get employers on board to deliver a new kind of qualification for vocational subjects. Two days at college, three at work, 48 weeks of the year. You could take an A-Level student to Masters level in 18 months, all paid for by the employer. Say to 18 year olds, take on this gruelling, fast paced qualification and in two years you'll br fully qualified on £35k per year with no debts. Sorted.

Could do with sorting out further education in STEM. Too many grads coming out of a lengthy degree practically unemployable due to lack of real life experience. Get employers on board to deliver a new kind of qualification for vocational subjects. Two days at college, three at work, 48 weeks of the year. You could take an A-Level student to Masters level in 18 months, all paid for by the employer. Say to 18 year olds, take on this gruelling, fast paced qualification and in two years you'll br fully qualified on £35k per year with no debts. Sorted.

I used to run similar scheme where we took on A level students who spent 2 years doing a day release HND and then 3 years doing a part-time sandwich degree in various engineering principles. Worked well they got a debt free degree and the organisation benefited in the short term using their ongoing and developing expertise and in the longer term motivated, committed and grateful engineers. Of course a small % left after a few years.

Unfortunately in times of recession training is top of the list for cutting and leads to a shortage of skilled people when the upturn comes especially after a long recession like the current one. Governments should do more to ensure that training is maintained at the highest levels during these times.

There's something in this. I loved the practical stuff during my degree but I agree that there wasn't enough of it. A scheme like this would be a good fasttrack for some STEM students who want to go straight into industry. It could definitely work.

It's interesting that many STEM grads do get snapped up by other countries though, despite the lack of practical experience.

I'd also like to see more incentives for inventors. The intellectual property laws in this country are a poor joke right now, so some of the best ideas made by 'engineers in the shed' (a British tradition) are not getting off the ground. More patent law protection is needed for sole engineers.

I used to run similar scheme where we took on A level students who spent 2 years doing a day release HND and then 3 years doing a part-time sandwich degree in various engineering principles. Worked well they got a debt free degree and the organisation benefited in the short term using their ongoing and developing expertise and in the longer term motivated, committed and grateful engineers. Of course a small % left after a few years.

Unfortunately in times of recession training is top of the list for cutting and leads to a shortage of skilled people when the upturn comes especially after a long recession like the current one. Governments should do more to ensure that training is maintained at the highest levels during these times.

Yeah, and this is a real problem. If you cut of the means by which skilled people become skilled people, they either go elsewhere or end up shelf-stacking. If we're going to use any kind of industry to get out of the recession, then we need the skilled people in place to make sure it runs. Training is key, but seems to be viewed as expendable by various Governments. But that's shooting themselves in the foot.

Yeah, and this is a real problem. If you cut of the means by which skilled people become skilled people, they either go elsewhere or end up shelf-stacking. If we're going to use any kind of industry to get out of the recession, then we need the skilled people in place to make sure it runs. Training is key, but seems to be viewed as expendable by various Governments. But that's shooting themselves in the foot.

It's not just governments I've worked in private industry as a Engineer and in industry and local government responsible for training engineers and they all had the same attitude to training. They consistently failed to treat it seriously, even when they did fund it they were unsupportive in ensuring people attended, so much of the funding being wasted by non-attendance.

I also did some surveys of local industry on behalf of an employers body re apprenticeship training and the decline during the 80s and 90s was of epic proportions. Even now with the perceived interest in apprenticeships they are very poor 2nd best in many industries compared to how they used to be.

I spent 10 years involved in apprenticeship and other training and it was the most rewarding yet frustrating time of my working life.

Guest MattP

Total%20jobs%20since%20Obama%20by%20age%

Many more people getting into work over the last year or two, the oldies even more so.

Never been a better time to be elderly and looking for work, fair play to old boys and girls giving a two fingered saulte to the 'no one will employ me because I'm old' brigade.

Am i reading that graph incorrectly , because it doesn't look like many more people getting into work to me.

Also i think that graph relates to the situation in the USA  :)

Ssshhhh. Don't say that too loud somebody might hear.

Guest MattP

Your right it does. I tried to post a graph from the UK but it doesn't allow Twitter links here. I did a google and it looked exactly the same so assumed it was ours.

Give me 5 minutes and I'll upload the original to one of my websites and copy it on.

In fact our stats look far more promising.

Edited by MattP

does it say if its full time or part time? Just asking.

No idea mate , i'm not particularly good at reading graphs /statistics etc.

I was hoping someone was going to tell me how it was supposed to be such a good news image  :)

Guest MattP

No idea mate , i'm not particularly good at reading graphs /statistics etc.

I was hoping someone was going to tell me how it was supposed to be such a good news image  :)

The lines are going up near the end, that generally means good. :P

does it say if its full time or part time? Just asking.

Combination of both, many positions are going to be part time from now on. A lot of companies have realised they are paying people for 40 hour a week contracts when it can be done in 28.

The last office job I had was 37.5 hours a week and the afternoon I just spent watching Horse Racing, surfing the net, emailing women in the office and posting on here

Edited by MattP

Looking at that graph my reading of it is that employment is higher than it was overall than it was in 2008 and up in every sector except 16-24 age group where it is down about 100k. The overall trend is up.