Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

Looking at that graph my reading of it is that employment is higher than it was overall than it was in 2008 and up in every sector except 16-24 age group where it is down about 100k. The overall trend is up.

It just looks to me as though the over 65's are doing the paper rounds etc  that used to be done by the youngsters.

The overall trend doesn't look any real cause for celebration since 2008 . 

I suppose we have to grasp at every little straw though  :D

It just looks to me as though the over 65's are doing the paper rounds etc that used to be done by the youngsters.

The overall trend doesn't look any real cause for celebration since 2008 .

I suppose we have to grasp at every little straw though :D

We've been through a rocky time trying to recover from the credit crunch, any real signs of improved employment figures and economic growth are big positives for anyone who wants to work and get on in life. For people who want to use external factors as an excuse for their own failings the good news will come as an inconvenience, of course, but then maybe this isn't the right thread for that type of person.

UK business confidence reaches 13-month high

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23221506

Business confidence in the UK is at its highest point since May last year, according to a new report.

The Optimism Index by the accountancy and business advisory firm BDO moved higher for the fifth consecutive month in June.

BDO said confidence in both services and manufacturing firms had increased.

However, it added that the figures remained fractionally below the level which would indicate the economy was expected to grow.

BDO said that despite growing confidence, pressures such as volatility in the eurozone, "belt-tightening" by UK consumers and a signalling by the US Federal Reserve that its stimulus measures may taper off later in the year are weighing on business optimism going forward.

'Zig-zag trend'

BDO partner Peter Hemington said: "While it's encouraging to see confidence continuing to improve, we should be mindful of the zig-zag trend that has characterised UK business confidence since 2008."

"Periods of improved confidence have ended before growth has really begun to get going."

BDO's Optimism Index which predicts business performance two quarters ahead, moved up for the fifth consecutive month in June from 93.6 to 94.3, a 13-month high.

Meanwhile, BDO's Output Index, which looks at sales predictions in the short-run, increased for the fourth consecutive month to 94.9 in June from 94.4 in May.

Under BDO's calculations 95.0 indicates growth.

The indices are calculated by taking a weighted average of the results of the UK's main business surveys, including those from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and the Bank of England.

Well I'm scared of spending what I don't have and the ones I pay my bills to keep asking for more.

A 50p per day increase in someones shopping bill  seems less important as your income rises.

:)

I know. I know people need to watch their pennies but the bottom line is you need to spend to get the economy moving again.

My car is in a shite state, and when I mentioned to dad that I'd take it to the Bulgarians to clean at the local Jet he couldn't believe I'd pay them £10 to do something I could do for nothing. But the blokes down there may want a bathroom doing one day. That could affect me positively. Maybe dad is too tight with his cash whereas I'm too free with it, but something has to get the ball rolling again.

Your outgoing cannot be more than your incoming and with workers being put on shorter hours and contracts changed to zero hours  there will be a lot of people either thinking the same or saying sod it I'll run a car have Sky Sports, a £35 mobile contract and a 35 inch TV. and others will say look at that lazy sod my taxes are paying for his stuff. little knowing that the mortgage lenders will be paying him a visit very soon,

N0w t0r the bad news/ :)

If we are doing better because we ignored the advice  of the IMF , why should we believe anything about their forecasts?

And how's this for spin ?

"Although better than April, the IMF’s outlook for the UK is still worse than in January when the IMF was forecasting 1pc growth this year. At 0.9pc, it has simply drawn its outlook into line with consensus to reflect the better-than-expected 0.3pc growth of the first three months and expected 0.5pc expansion in the second quarter"

Edited by Zingari

It's a bit of a strectch to say we are doing better than the rest of the world if you look at the graph we are doing better than most of the eurozone but still lag behind the rest of the world. It dosn't really validate any particular government policy and the news about manufacturing is contradictory.

Guest MattP

It's a bit of a strectch to say we are doing better than the rest of the world if you look at the graph we are doing better than most of the eurozone but still lag behind the rest of the world. It dosn't really validate any particular government policy and the news about manufacturing is contradictory.

It validates our continued attempts to renegotiate our position within the EU at the very least.