Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Good News thread, local jobs, economy etc

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon to open new site in Leicestershire creating 500 jobs

Amazon has announced that it will open a new site in Leicestershire which will create 500 new jobs.

A one million square foot fulfilment centre will open in Coalville this autumn, the internet retailer confirmed this morning.

The new roles are part of Amazon's plans to create 2,500 permanent jobs in the UK this year, bringing the company's total workforce to 14,500 by the end of 2016.

John Tagawa, Amazon's Vice President of UK Operations, said: "We are excited to create 500 new permanent jobs over three years in Leicestershire with competitive wages and comprehensive benefits starting on day one.

"Amazon has a dedicated and enthusiastic workforce who play a crucial role in delivering a first rate level of service for our customers and we look forward to recruiting people from Leicestershire and the surrounding area."

Amazon has started its recruitment programme for a range of positions, from operations managers to engineers, HR and IT roles to associates who will handle orders at the centre in Mountpark Bardon.

All permanent employees at the centre will start on at least £7.20 an hour.

That rate will increase by at least 11 per cent over their first two years of employment, by which time all employees will earn £8 an hour or more.

Andrew Bridgen, MP for North West Leicestershire, said: "I welcome Amazon's investment in North West Leicestershire along with its potential for 500 jobs.

"North West Leicestershire continues to be an area good for business and long-term investment and we are currently enjoying one of the highest economic growth rates outside London and the South East.

"I am pleased that such a reputable company has the confidence in the area not only given its strategic location but also for the recruitment of a wide ranging work force."

Amazon has ten fulfilment centres in the UK, including two in Doncaster and one each in Dunfermline, Dunstable, Gourock, Hemel Hempstead, Milton Keynes, Peterborough, Rugeley and Swansea Bay.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Amazon-open-new-site-Leicestershire-creating-500/story-28761369-detail/story.html#ixzz40VqXbcg1 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Good news for Coalville

The poor little bleeder. I can definitely sympathise.

The world needs more Alfs. He'll probably be known as "Wolfie", though - and will grow up to establish a new Tooting Popular Front (or Popular Front of the Mendips or wherever his Dad is MP for).

Wulfiric sounds Anglo-Saxon or Viking, but Pius is usually reserved for Popes, isn't it? Is Rees-Mogg a Fenian or something?  :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't see a thread where this fits.

Will this be blamed on the left? It is not just the unemployed that are being hit now. http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/28/new-pension-rules-will-see-6-million-workers-lose-up-to-37-a-month?CMP=share_btn_fb

This will also cost employers more meaning some may reduce the workforce. But the good news part is that because those not working for longer and not paying NI will not be receiving pensions so will cost the govt less.

Great idea George.

Edited by Rincewind

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure it's good news but didn't know where else to put it.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Disappointment-embarrassment-councillor-s-home/story-29153139-detail/story.html

"The city council's planning committee...was told he was away from home when builders decided to build the extension larger than he intended."

Builders are always doing that, aren't they?  "Good news, Sir, we've decided to build you a bigger extension than you asked for".  "We couldn't find the plans, so just guessed".  "Oh right, what's happened there is your measurements are in metric and we only work in imperial".

Could this possibly a case of 'don't you know who I am?'

I don't know who he is

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

• 9 months later...

Not exactly local, but an uplifting news story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38902977

_94234100_tractor.jpg

Australian man trapped in pond with nose just above water

• An Australian man has survived spending hours struggling to keep his nose above water after his excavator rolled into a waterhole.

Daniel Miller, 45, had been riding the machine at his remote property 300km (180 miles) north of Sydney.

When the edge of the dam gave way, the farmer was pinned down by a bar on the three-tonne excavator.

Mr Miller said he adopted a yoga pose - arching his back for air - until a neighbour 500m away heard him shouting.

"I was trapped and had to keep my head up above water using my arms, I guess it was the cobra position," he told Sydney's Daily Telegraph.

• "I'm not a yogi but I guess you could say yoga saved my life. That and the will to live."

Rescue crews said the ordeal on Tuesday lasted two hours, but Mr Miller's wife, Saimaa, wrote on Facebook it was five hours.

Mr Miller said he spent "the whole time" thinking about returning to his wife and their two young children.

• Police chief inspector Neil Stephens said only Mr Miller's nose and forehead were above the water.

"He's been extremely lucky to survive," he told Nine News.

Firefighters drained some mud and water before wading in to free Mr Miller.

"How he kept his back arched with his nose above the waterline was quite incredible for that amount of time," said Fire and Rescue New South Wales deputy captain Steve Howard.

'Sheer mental strength'

Mr Miller was taken by helicopter to a hospital in the nearby city of Newcastle, where he was treated for hypothermia and minor back injuries.

• Dan is OK!" Ms Miller wrote online.

"He was trapped... with the weight of his excavator on his back, and with the boggy dam ground below him slowly slipping away.

"It was literally sheer mental strength and determination to survive that got him through. As well as being fit, strong and healthy. Nothing to do with luck.

"Legendary effort from a legendary man."

•  

•  

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

• 1 month later...
On 13/05/2015 at 11:53, David Guiza said:

One thing that really bothers me is recruitment firms. Maybe i'm just missing the point, but whatever happened to one to the one contact between an employer and a potential employee; yes you have to go through a lot of applications, but isn't that what HR is for?

Just seems like a way to add more jobs and work when it's not really needed. More than happy to be proved wrong though.

Bothers me too - so many potential fiddles. Gang-master pays to see his charges get the work then deducts that cost, plus "finder's commission" from his "team" when they get their wages. Or am I just being a cynical theorist?         

4 hours ago, Thracian said:

Bothers me too - so many potential fiddles. Gang-master pays to see his charges get the work then deducts that cost, plus "finder's commission" from his "team" when they get their wages. Or am I just being a cynical theorist?         

No, I actually think you're pretty close to spot on there Thrac.