Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

• 1 month later...

What no one has said so far is that there wasn't a sound like the Beatles before they came out with it.

Rock started to be popular about 1955/6 with Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, then it all went soft with Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Everly Brothers even Ray Charles went country.

Then bam "She Loves You, Paperback Writer, Day Tripper, Help and then for the next six years they led the field in everything they did. They turned music upside down with Sergeant Pepper, The White Album and no one had made a non stop medley in pop music as in Abbey Rd culminating with "And in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give,'

Of course Bands sound better or different with cover versions, they have 64 track digital mixers to play with. The Beatles first two albums were in mono.

You can't compare a 51 year old groundbreaking sound with something that followed

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

What no one has said so far is that there wasn't a sound like the Beatles before they came out with it.

Rock started to be popular about 1955/6 with Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, then it all went soft with Bobby Vee, Bobby Rydell, Everly Brothers even Ray Charles went country.

Then bam "She Loves You, Paperback Writer, Day Tripper help and then for the next six years they led the field in everything they did. They turned music upside down with Sergeant Pepper, The White Album and no one had made a non stop medley in pop music as in Abbey Rd culminating with "And in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give,'

Of course Bands sound better or different with cover versions, they have 64 track digital mixers to play with. The Beatles first two albums were in mono.

You can't compare a 51 year old groundbreaking sound with something that followed

I said something along these lines in another thread. The Beatles paved the way for other bands to be played on the BBC.

I think it's fantastic to think they achieved what they did in 10 years. Not only that, but they challenged music and they would dare to do stuff. Thousands of artists can sell records, but it takes people special to make records that stand up and actually mean something. Music is an art, I like music for the lyrics more than the music, which is why I'm into stuff like the Beatles.

I do think they changed around '65 time when the album 'Help', and in particular, 'Ticket To Ride' was released. As a fan, I like the early stuff, but I'm well into stuff from '65/Help onwards. 

They were also the first musicians to include guitar feedback on a song, and they were the first to sing backwards on a song. 

Another one of my favourites:

Then bam "She Loves You, Paperback Writer, Day Tripper help and then for the next six years they led the field in everything they did. They turned music upside down with Sergeant Pepper, The White Album and no one had made a non stop medley in pop music as in Abbey Rd culminating with "And in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give,'

I agree. I've grown up with their music so I can only guess what it was like before. I often wonder what it would be like to hear something like Strawberry Fields for the first time.

I agree. I've grown up with their music so I can only guess what it was like before. I often wonder what it would be like to hear something like Strawberry Fields for the first time.

I can remember it was on Top of The Pops or Ready Steady Go, they played the two the videos of Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields back to back. When it was finished I remember my future mother in law saying "What a load of bloody rubbish".

What was incredible was that you wanted to know more, what did it mean? No Internet then, the only decent source of information was the New Musical Express and interviews by Brain Matthews on Saturday Club. Later on Kenny Everett had his own Saturday Radio Show and seemed to be "in" with the Beatles. The first time I heard Across The Universe was on his show way before the album came out. It also sounded like it had been recorded into a tin can, even more than the final version.

Have a go at this Fox92 and see you you do:

http://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/name-beatles-singles.php

Had a mare! Only got 96, although it does say that score beats 84% of most takers.

I do struggle with the early stuff, especially 'With the Beatles' and 'Please Please Me'. Didn't get all of 'White Album' though, as expected, it's tough to remember the not so great songs such as 'Wild Honey Pie'.

• 2 months later...

I can't seem to copy and paste on here anymore, but it's been announced that 59 previously unreleased songs will be put on iTunes. Copyright laws have forced record company Apple to release 59 outtakes, bootlegs and demos recorded by The Beatles!

"Further releases are also likely, which could include the 27 minute version of Helter Skelter" which I referred too earlier in the thread. 

Edited by Fox92

The Beatles went from Love Me Do to Tomorrow Never Knows in less time than it took the Stone Roses to record a follow up album.

That says far more about the stone roses than it does about the Beatles tbh - they are the most over-rated band of all time, they wrote decent songs fair enough, but as Trav has said, cover versions are always better - why? Because the beatles were crap at performing. Average band and nowhere near as goo as people would say.

The hype around the song writing as well  lol  - pretty much every prog band pulverises them. Take a listen to Singring and the glass guitar by Utopia - now that's a well written song: the beatles are pretty much just generic shit.

That says far more about the stone roses than it does about the Beatles tbh - they are the most over-rated band of all time, they wrote decent songs fair enough, but as Trav has said, cover versions are always better - why? Because the beatles were crap at performing. Average band and nowhere near as goo as people would say.

The hype around the song writing as well  lol  - pretty much every prog band pulverises them. Take a listen to Singring and the glass guitar by Utopia - now that's a well written song: the beatles are pretty much just generic shit.

Fox92 is loading up all weapons for you right now. I hope you're ready.

• Like 2

lol ... As if I'm going to listen to somebody who prefers somesort of heavy rock/metal.

The Beatles even said they were rubbish at performing, my gosh Lennon said they were just a band who made it big. The influence speaks for itself to me. The Beatles have directly inspired The Jam, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Blur, Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys and even the legend Bob Dylan (who said he went all rock after listening to The Beatles). Both Gallagher brothers, Miles Kane, Paul Weller and Alex Turner have all said that Lennon was their hero. You can't be rubbish and have that lasting influence.

People might not like their voices, but you can't knock their songwriting at all. Lennon and McCartney are among the greatest songwriters ever, and Harrison was excellent as well. The Beatles did things others have never done, reinvented music, the backwards guitar, the backwards singing, the first band to include guitar feedback, it goes on. The touring stopped rightly so, but they went all experimental in the studio and some of the music they came up with was brilliant. 'Revolver' is a magnificent album and shows how the Beatles changed in a few years. Let's not forget they were only around for 9 years, and all of their songs are different. 'A Day In The Life' is one of the greatest songs  ever written while 'Yesterday' remains the most covered song ever.

Edited by Fox92

lol ... As if I'm going to listen to somebody who prefers somesort of heavy rock/metal.

The Beatles even said they were rubbish at performing, my gosh Lennon said they were just a band who made it big. The influence speaks for itself to me. The Beatles have directly inspired The Jam, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Blur, Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys and even the legend Bob Dylan (who said he went all rock after listening to The Beatles). Both Gallagher brothers, Miles Kane, Paul Weller and Alex Turner have all said that Lennon was their hero. You can't be rubbish and have that lasting influence.

People might not like their voices, but you can't knock their songwriting at all. Lennon and McCartney are among the greatest songwriters ever, and Harrison was excellent as well. The Beatles did things others have never done, reinvented music, the backwards guitar, the backwards singing, the first band to include guitar feedback, it goes on. The touring stopped rightly so, but they went all experimental in the studio and some of the music they came up with was brilliant. 'Revolver' is a magnificent album and shows how the Beatles changed in a few years. Let's not forget they were only around for 9 years, and all of their songs are different. 'A Day In The Life' is one of the greatest songs  ever written while 'Yesterday' remains the most covered song ever.

Sorry, so that I listen to music that requires talent makes my opinion irrelevant? How the **** did you make it to university with such poor reasoning skills?

If I were going to argue that a band were good, saying they inspired Oasis and that one of the bands members was the hero of the gallagher brothers is a very poor move.

Greatest song writers ever? Behave. As far as lyrical content goes Dio and Dylan are streets ahead, and well plenty of bands have produced better music to go with it. The whole backwards guitar and sing have never been done by anyone else because it's absolutely shit. Reversing the singing is what you do when you're a student radio station trying to censor tracks because you aren't considered anywhere near important enough to be sent radio edits, not when you're supposed to be a good band.

Bands covering yesterday a lot is no sign of quality - Justin Beiber is one of the most downloaded artists around and he's utter tosh. Hell, you could even put it then as being ridiculously simplistic, lacking any talent and so reproducable by any Joe on the street.

Sorry, so that I listen to music that requires talent makes my opinion irrelevant? How the **** did you make it to university with such poor reasoning skills?

If I were going to argue that a band were good, saying they inspired Oasis and that one of the bands members was the hero of the gallagher brothers is a very poor move.

Greatest song writers ever? Behave. As far as lyrical content goes Dio and Dylan are streets ahead, and well plenty of bands have produced better music to go with it. The whole backwards guitar and sing have never been done by anyone else because it's absolutely shit. Reversing the singing is what you do when you're a student radio station trying to censor tracks because you aren't considered anywhere near important enough to be sent radio edits, not when you're supposed to be a good band.

Bands covering yesterday a lot is no sign of quality - Justin Beiber is one of the most downloaded artists around and he's utter tosh. Hell, you could even put it then as being ridiculously simplistic, lacking any talent and so reproducable by any Joe on the street.

You are Pete Best and I claim my £5

I fully understand you might not like The Beatles, I get all that and I respect you're opinion, but too write Lennon, McCartney and Harrison off as songwriters is ridiculous. Dylan is on another level (I'll talk about him in a minute), but those three are up there with the likes of Ray Davies, Paul Weller and Morrissey.

I'm a massive Dylan fan, did you not see my thread last month? He is the greatest songwriter ever, I've always said that. The guy is a legend, one of my heroes, and I doubt anyone will ever beat him. But then again Dylan was influenced by the Beatles and rated them all. What does that say? I just think that all these musicians that say the Beatles inspired me or whatever is what counts, they are in the business.

I just never get why people come on a Beatles thread and slate them. It's a Beatles thread, for Beatles fans. Just stay away if you don't like them. I'd never go into a thread of yours and say 'oh these are shit'. Can people not like a band without someone else telling them they are overrated? I've had it all my life; I say 'I'm a Beatles fan', 'I'm a Dylan fan', 'I'm a Smiths fan' etc and someone will say 'they are all overrated'. Jeez, even someone said Arctic Monkeys are overrated the other day and I've followed them since they started out.

I fully understand you might not like The Beatles, I get all that and I respect you're opinion, but too write Lennon, McCartney and Harrison off as songwriters is ridiculous. Dylan is on another level (I'll talk about him in a minute), but those three are up there with the likes of Ray Davies, Paul Weller and Morrissey.

I'm a massive Dylan fan, did you not see my thread last month? He is the greatest songwriter ever, I've always said that. The guy is a legend, one of my heroes, and I doubt anyone will ever beat him. But then again Dylan was influenced by the Beatles and rated them all. What does that say? I just think that all these musicians that say the Beatles inspired me or whatever is what counts, they are in the business.

I just never get why people come on a Beatles thread and slate them. It's a Beatles thread, for Beatles fans. Just stay away if you don't like them. I'd never go into a thread of yours and say 'oh these are shit'. Can people not like a band without someone else telling them they are overrated? I've had it all my life; I say 'I'm a Beatles fan', 'I'm a Dylan fan', 'I'm a Smiths fan' etc and someone will say 'they are all overrated'. Jeez, even someone said Arctic Monkeys are overrated the other day and I've followed them since they started out.

Well, that may be because the arctic monkeys are over-rated: how long you've liked them makes no difference on that front: they're a decent band but the hype around them is absurd. It's likewise with the Beatles: they were a good band, don't get me wrong, but the reality of it is that is all they were - while people act like they're bigger than jesus. They really aren't - they're a decent band who got quite lucky given they were essentially the first boy-band (look at for instance ditching Best for Ringo Starr on the basis that Starr would help sell more records).

Please educate me on some Dio lyrics.

• Like 3

Please educate me on some Dio lyrics.

Very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd3ZiAwmLpM

Conjuring up a fantasy world where people are doomed by their ambition - actually a song about the cold war and humanities failings during it: e.g. 

“We sailed across the air before we learned to fly / We thought that it could never end / We'd glide above the ground before we learned to run, run / Now it seems our world has come undoneâ€

Brilliant narrative about lucifers ejection from heaven and subsequent rebirth as beezlebub.

and one of my favourites:

We're a ship without a storm/the cold without the warm/light inside the darkness that it needs yeah/We're a laugh without a tear/the hope without the fear/we are coming home/We're off to the witch/we may never never never come home/but the magic that we'll feel is worth a lifetime/We're all born upon the cross/the throw before the toss/you can release yourself but the only way is down/We don't come alone/we are fire/ we are stone/we're the hand that writes then quickly moves away/We'll know for the first time/if we're evil or divine/we're the last in line/yeah we're the last in line

just pure brilliance.

You think those Dio lyrics are better than anything The Beatles wrote? Have a day off. Have you listened to the likes of 'A Day In The Life', 'In My Life' and 'Something'?

It's all opinion, you obviously like that music genre better. That's fine, we can't all be the same. But to enter a Beatles thread (all I did was bump it by posting about breaking news) and criticize, I just don't get it. Just don't come into the thread if you don't like them, it was fine without you when the fans were posting videos etc.

You think those Dio lyrics are better than anything The Beatles wrote? Have a day off. Have you listened to the likes of 'A Day In The Life', 'In My Life' and 'Something'?

It's all opinion, you obviously like that music genre better. That's fine, we can't all be the same. But to enter a Beatles thread (all I did was bump it by posting about breaking news) and criticize, I just don't get it. Just don't come into the thread if you don't like them, it was fine without you when the fans were posting videos etc.

They are - your bias towards the beatles blinds you completely: Dio was pretty much the master of weaving social commentary as allegories in fantasy worlds: far more difficult than writing bleeding pop songs.

lol Yes, I have - repeatedly, and the lyrics in them are questionable... for instance:

Woke up, fell out of bed

Dragged a comb across my head

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup

And looking up, I noticed I was late

That reads like the writing of a primary school child when asked to describe their day, rather than anything half decent.

They grew up from writing pop songs. See the early albums for all those. However, they grew up around the time Lennon wrote Ticket To Ride and the album after, Revolver, is so different and complete. Politics is covered in 'Taxman', while 'Tomorrow Never Knows' starts the experimental stage.

That middle bit you quoted was wrote by McCartney, about him getting up and going to school. Hence why it's that simple. But the song is a masterpiece and the fact that Lennon wrote a start and an end without having a middle, while McCartney had a middle, so they pieced them together is wonderful.