Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

'Close' Hull, Middlesboro', Burnley, Hartlepool and other failing Cities/Towns down!

Whatever manufacturing that works is already here. The beauty of a free market.

I'm not sure there really is much of a "free market" anymore .

Just like the banking , oil , energy provider cartels etc , I think we live in an age of less and less competition as global super-corporations pretty much fix the price of everything .

Surely there are loads of jobs that don't need to be centred around the south east and could be shipped out to cheaper locations.

I'm thinking of such things as DVLA etc as previous examples

I would probably accept that traditional industries associated with these towns aren't likely to return , but surely governments could do something to spread the newer emerging industries .

I accept It's perhaps a too simplistic outlook on it though.

Whatever manufacturing that works is already here. The beauty of a free market.

But our market, nor any market around the world is truly free, as you well know.

Hi-tech manufacturing is about the only area where we can compete with Chinese slave labour. 

That said, we've been over-reliant on the service industry for too long, and putting all our eggs in one basket has cost us dearly in the late 00's. The economies recovering the fastest around the world are the ones making things - let's encourage hi-tech industries to set up shop here. Astrium is one good example, so let's have more, in the North. 

That said, we've been over-reliant on the service industry for too long, and putting all our eggs in one basket has cost us dearly in the late 00's. The economies recovering the fastest around the world are the ones making things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing#Countries_by_Manufacturing_output_using_the_most_recent_known_Data

US = heavily debt fueled growth

China - slave fueled growth

Japan - only slightly ahead of where it was in the mid-90s

Germany - largely flatlining, gdp growth well below the uk in recent quarters

etc etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing#Countries_by_Manufacturing_output_using_the_most_recent_known_Data

US = heavily debt fueled growth

China - slave fueled growth

Japan - only slightly ahead of where it was in the mid-90s

Germany - largely flatlining, gdp growth well below the uk in recent quarters

etc etc

I know Korea is doing pretty well (though they come pretty close to putting all their eggs in one basket too, exports) and Brazil and India seem to be doing alright too - though in the case of Brazil I wonder how much natural resources have to do with that.

I still think a combined approach is the best way, putting your economy at the mercy of one factor just seems daft to me.

He doesn't live in Hull then, he lives in Hessle. It would be like trying to talk about Leicester by bringing up Melton Mowbray or Loughborough.

Don't slag off a city ("I don't disagree") you've clearly never visited aside from the football (which is in a shite area as most modern stadiums are, look at the KP) then try to make yourself look reasoned by bringing up a giant concrete white elephant that's not even in the city. If you'd said the Marina, the Fruit Market, most of the City Centre (which is actually rather attractive), Queens Gardens or any of the student areas I would accept that you know what you're talking about.

There are a lot of talented, well educated and determined people in cities like Hull continually undermined by ignorance like this.

I did not mean to offend you in any way, I didn't know you felt so attached to the City of Hull (or Humberside)... I didn't 'slag off' Hull, I just said "I don't disagree'. And what? It's no coincidence that Hull is included in this list, and that it is often included on many more.

I have actually been to Hull many times. Yeah, I've been five times for footballing reasons, but I've been in general as well as visited. Not that I can form any judgement on the City.

I wasn't knocking the City, or putting it down, but I suppose I'm not in a position to agree with the article then. But that said, you can't say the same about Burnley, Middlesbrough or any other place. 

Archived