Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

On my pc (I'm using a horrible windows 98 one atm) to let you know the problem.

But basically when I plug the usb for braodband modem in the screen goes blue and talks about some technical fault with installation.

I can't install the modem properly because it says USB ambit 3500 modem is malfunctioning or something. Really complicated but basically I can't get my modem to work on my pc, how annoying.

Ideas?

I had that when I was installing some new USB ports.

You have to try and update your computer drivers (not usb ports etc, i mean drivers for the internal stuff)

I also have a problem, well not really a problem, more a query.

How can I find out how long I have had my windows running for?

yes jus recently.... u could be onto somethin.... remedy??

It could be numerous things really, try running windows help and bash in internet connection and it'll run you through the fairly standard stuff.

Just out of interest who do you have you internet connection with? Please don't tell me its Orange :ph34r:

It could be numerous things really, try running windows help and bash in internet connection and it'll run you through the fairly standard stuff.

Just out of interest who do you have you internet connection with? Please don't tell me its Orange :ph34r:

Nah Tiscali, but shortly moving to Sky, cheers ears.

Ok i've got a major problem with my Laptop, below is what i sent to my local PC repair shop, but they haven't replied, any ideas? :dunno::dunno:

Hi, i've had my laptop about 14 months now and within the last 3, i have experienced the same major fault 3 times, on each occasion i have had to totally restore the system, reinstalling the operating system etc, it has now started doing this for the 4th time, meaning i am unable to do much of my university work at home now.

Basically, what it does is come up with the screen that i have enclosed in a photograph with this email upon startup. No matter what option is selected out of the 5, it proceeds towards the blue screen of death, and then restarts itself to start the cycle of going to that screen again etc. There seems to be no way to fix this, and i'm suspecting that there's maybe a fault with the motherboard or something? I'm not sure, im not too good with PCs or laptops.

The system is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L1300 working on the XP operating system.

Any help, estimates of price etc would be greatly appreciated.

I just don't know what to do. :cry::cry::cry:

PIC OF WHAT COMES UP BEFORE THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

Ok, here goes.

I have a 40gb external hard drive and it came formatted in FAT32.

I tried to convert it into NTFS but then realised the device didn't support it, anyway I managed to reformat it into FAT32, but I had to create 2 partitions as XP says FAT32 can only go up to 20gb.

The device came formatted in FAT32 on one partition...so it can be done..

I just don't know how...

thanks

EDIT: FOUND A VERY USEFUL PROG, CompuApps SwissKnife V3 VERY FAST QUICK AND EAST FORMAT.

Edited by Bluefoxtim

I give up! I simply cant get the sound driver for this fooking emachines 5260!

Thanks to those that put links up but I was just from pillar to post. Emachines said its not down to them but the agent that sold it (PC WORLD) who havent got any drivers to install online for the machine. Te only glimmer of hope I got was to phone a tech line which was £1.50 per minute which I refused to do.

Ive got another PC in another room and itsso easy to get drivers online for free but this damn brand machine is impossible to find. I should have backed up the drivers when re-installing windows!

I give up! I simply cant get the sound driver for this fooking emachines 5260!

Thanks to those that put links up but I was just from pillar to post. Emachines said its not down to them but the agent that sold it (PC WORLD) who havent got any drivers to install online for the machine. Te only glimmer of hope I got was to phone a tech line which was £1.50 per minute which I refused to do.

Ive got another PC in another room and itsso easy to get drivers online for free but this damn brand machine is impossible to find. I should have backed up the drivers when re-installing windows!

have you tried generic drivers?

Ok, here goes.

I have a 40gb external hard drive and it came formatted in FAT32.

I tried to convert it into NTFS but then realised the device didn't support it, anyway I managed to reformat it into FAT32, but I had to create 2 partitions as XP says FAT32 can only go up to 20gb.

The device came formatted in FAT32 on one partition...so it can be done..

I just don't know how...

thanks

EDIT: FOUND A VERY USEFUL PROG, CompuApps SwissKnife V3 VERY FAST QUICK AND EAST FORMAT.

download a fat32 partition manager.

HELP NEEDED!!

I have two PC`s at home, but the one I use from the TV room has no sound! Its a cheapy Emachine that I bought and I had to re-format it recently because theer was some problem with it. Anyway, before it had sound, now it doesnt. Now ordinarily I would just download the sound drivers but I cant seem to find them anywhere for these damn won brand machines.

Its an Emachine 5260.

Does anyone know how/where to get these damn drivers??

or go on ebay and buy a cheap sound card with a cd with drivers on it (make sure you have a spare slot for the sound card)

i bought a new computer a few months ago and it had 90 day free 'Norton internet security' on it. it's only got 2 weeks left on it now and i wondered whether i should pay to renew the Norton or download one of the free ones (AVG?)off the net.

i bought a new computer a few months ago and it had 90 day free 'Norton internet security' on it. it's only got 2 weeks left on it now and i wondered whether i should pay to renew the Norton or download one of the free ones (AVG?)off the net.

Freebies every day - I've used Avast! for the last five years

Dave do you know of a free firewall that works with Vista as Zone Alarm doesn't appear to work?

Nope...I got shot of Vista and'll not reload it until they've sorted out the bugs I encountered and people have caught up and ironed out compatibility issues.

Sorry.

Nope...I got shot of Vista and'll not reload it until they've sorted out the bugs I encountered and people have caught up and ironed out compatibility issues.

Sorry.

Well I've not had any significant problems apart from spybot finding loads of crap and Zone alarm not work but then I'm using it almost exclusively for internet use and apart from Windows office 2000 have no programmes loaded onto it.