Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

We got any cyclists here then?

I am a road cyclist. Currently have a carrera zelos but tomorrow I get a boardman comp 2014 through cycle to work scheme. I currently enjoy doing 25-30 miles routes around Leicester but I want to progress further, anyone got any tips? My main issue is lower back ache, second is I get pins and needles in my right hand. The third is I get a little bored so I need something extra!

No cyclist haters pls!!!!

Sorry Syston, but I absolutely hate cyclists, so much so that I had to ignore the last sentence of your post. I would love to mount a barrel/karcher pressure washer rig on the bonnet of my car, fill it to the brim with horse piss and drive round spraying the lycra clad wanqas with a bit of coolant.

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1

Haha. I fully expect some abuse but it really does work both ways. There are some real tools who are given a driving license. Mainly teenage LADS wearing vests driving Astra VXR's but this isn't a debate about who's got a bigger penis so let's swiftly move on!

• Like 1

Last summer I really got back into cycling, but then kinda faded away from it again, mainly because my bike is atleast 10 years old, heavy, and bloody hard work to ride.

I was/am looking to get a new one but haven't got a clue what to look for, I don't know what a 'good bike' is, I want a decent bike but at the same time reasonably cheap.

I looked on Halfords website and I thought there looked some decent bikes on there for decent prices (No doubt seasoned cyclists will cringe at the statement?), but like I said I don't know what a good bike is.

For the record I would never give my car up for a bike, but would like to get on my bike more, certainly through the summer months anyway, I've got back into the gym recently so if I could combine the gym with a few bike rides it'd be great.

Edited by Matt

Nothing at halfords is decent.

Try naked bikes on burnmoor st. They will be able to help.

Or if over melton way try s2 bikes.

Other than that do a bit or research online decide what you want and what requirements you have and order from a decent bike company online.

Halfords is for families who need 4 cheapish bikes to do about 5 miles for the 6 weekends it is dry in the uk.

• Like 1

Bayfox - a lot of the Halfords stock is junk that shouldn't be touched with a barge pole, but I was pleasantly surprised with my Voodoo Aizan. Was meant to be £450, after discounts got it for £320 including the service package and it's a fantastic ride for that sort of money. Rode roughly 2,000 miles on it over the past winter giving it the odd spray with WD and a quick wash and it still rides (and looks) like new

They definitely don't do themselves any favours stocking those Trax BSO's or Reebok "bikes" (RRP £4,699... This week only £19!)

Having said that, it's always worth checking evanscycles.co.uk - excellent service and they often offer massive discounts

Halfords do some decent bikes (Boardman etc) but should you buy one from there it's recommended you take it to a proper bike shop to get it set up properly.

I like to do a bit of mountain biking, Cannock Chase etc, but I need a new bike as mine is too small and falling to pieces. :(

This is my beauty!

Been commuting for the last few years(unless its pissing it down)

Thurnby to Beaumont Fleas

Love it but even though its only 7.5 ish miles im fooked by the end of it!! lol

I reckon its only cos i have to carry all my pack up on my rucksack!

Agree with you it does get abit tediuos....fook knows how people go for long distances..

Still beats sitting in a metal box getting bored and hot!

fuji-roubaix-3-0_1.jpg

Edited by Raj

The Voodoo Mountain bikes are top notch from halfords rated 5* in pretty much every magazine. I'm a mountain biker rather than a road biker. Had Specialized bikes for the last 8 years but thinking of moving to Cube. Anyone every had one? 

We got any cyclists here then?

I am a road cyclist. Currently have a carrera zelos but tomorrow I get a boardman comp 2014 through cycle to work scheme. I currently enjoy doing 25-30 miles routes around Leicester but I want to progress further, anyone got any tips? My main issue is lower back ache, second is I get pins and needles in my right hand. The third is I get a little bored so I need something extra!

No cyclist haters pls!!!!

I ride a bit - I have an old Trek 1500 for commuting through London and a Condor Acciaio for weekend rides.

Tips....Get some clipless pedals. Once you get used to them, you only have to put in about 70% effort to get up to the same speed. http://gizmodo.com/5990381/why-you-should-switch-to-clipless-pedals

Lower back ache suggests you are not positioned correctly on bike, you shouldn't be getting back ache from a 25-30 mile ride. Go in to a proper road bike shop and ask them to measure you up, adjust your saddle height/position etc.  It's one of the downsides of buying an off-the-shelf bike - while the frame size might be right for you, the position of your saddle, handlebars etc. is just as important and is unique to you so needs to be set up individually which the likes of Halfords are not good at.

I used to get pain in my hands similar to pins and needles.  I picked up some cheap cycling gloves from Evans and they worked really well.  I did the Norwich 100 miler a couple of weeks ago and wore the gloves and had no pain whatsoever.

Boredom on rides is always an issue.  See if you can find a local cycling club and go with a group - the good thing about cycling is you can talk while riding which makes the time pass much quicker.  Alternatively, break your rides up in to sections - e.g. if I'm doing a 40-50 mile on my own I'll aim for a cafe or pub about 20 miles away where I can stop and refuel before heading home.  Or take your bike on the train a few stops down the line and then ride home from there - time always seems to pass quicker when you are heading home than heading out.

Hope that helps.

One more thing - always make sure your tyres are pumped up to the right pressure level and the chain is clean and well oiled.  It should say on the tyre wall what the recommended pressure is - it is usually 100-120 psi for road bikes.  If your tyre pressure is in the right range, the performance of the bike will improve.

Edited by Vicki Vixen

Hi Vicky, thanks for the tips. I like the train idea! I have a set of keo look pedals, my first purchase when I got my first road bike. Collecting my Boardman later.

With regards to the pins and needles, I wear gloves from time to time but it is only in my right hand. Will go into a real bike shop and get set up properly on Monday I think

Do not be frightened of clipless, quick practice leaning against a wall then it really does become second nature.

Genuinely have never fallen off with clipless KEO LOOK pedals but when I had the toe clip cages I fell off three times in the first week

everyone says you wont fall off..might have to be my next purchase for winter then.....any tips/shoes to go for?

I'm also a fan of Look Keo clips.

As for shoes, I bought these BONT shoes last year that you put in the oven and then mould them around your feet http://www.bont.com/Cycling/items/support/heat-molding.html  However, they were shite.  Complete waste of money.  I'm back wearing my battered old Adidas cycling shoes that I bought 18 years ago.

Haha. I fully expect some abuse but it really does work both ways. There are some real tools who are given a driving license. Mainly teenage LADS wearing vests driving Astra VXR's but this isn't a debate about who's got a bigger penis so let's swiftly move on!

No it isn't. post-3-0-74941800-1402952154.gif

Edited by Steven

Not all bikes in Halfords are crap, like others have said the voodoos and boardmans are good.

Look online at Evans and chain reaction cycles too or buy second hand on ebay or pinkbike if you can view it first, some bargains to be had.

As for tips on back pain, make sure your bike is the right size (sounds daft but many people ride the wrong size) and set up properly for you. Also try a few exercises to strengthen your back?