Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

Well no. Strava don't give you a GPS device for free. You still need some hardware, which is where the £150 goes... access to the Garmin website is free...

Syston 15mph is a pretty good average speed over 32 miles - I rarely get over 13mph these days... I have to tank it to get up to 15...

Well if you have a phone capable of running Strava, it will also have GPS via Google Maps or similar. Admittedly, the Garmin probably has more features, but personally I couldn't justify spending £150 on one.

Yep strava does this for free but you still need a mobile with the strava app on it!

I've got a garmin edge 800 but still upload to strava rather than garmin, mainly because the dreaded 'segments' get me hooked!

If you can remember where the segments are on your ride it really does stop boredom setting in even on regular routes, because you always have to try and beat your best time

Well if you have neither, you're probably going to get more for your money by spending £150 on a smart phone. :P

Edited by potter3

I have just completed a 32 mile ride. Taking in Rothley, barrow, sileby, hoby, frisby, Queni, Birstall back to Rothley. 2 hrs 20 avg speed 15mph.

All this on my new Boardman, what a brilliantly built bike. Solid and sturdy and so quick. Well worth the upgrade.

No lower back pain at all and no pins and needles! Maybe just having a better bike is the difference

Which boardman have you got? Edited by lgfualol

Decided to kit the family out with bikes while i`m waiting for my Wheels2Work (Boardman hybrid for me) app to go through, wanted light half decent stuff but didnt want to brake the bank so i`v bought a Carrera Subway hybrid for the mrs and a Carrera Vengeance MTB for the lad, my daughter is away for a few weeks so we`ll get hers when she comes back, looking at getting her a Boardman junior hybrid.

Took the lads Vengeance out this morning, I was gone for nearly 3 hours :|..... in and around the Conkers circuit which is on my doorstep http://www.nationalforest.org/visit/images/location/pdfs/Conkers_Cycle_Route_Map_web.pdf.... loved every minute of it, so peaceful and relaxing and I cant believe how good the bikes of today perform, effortless.

Anyway, it looks like I`m hooked, I`m looking forward to work tomorrow just for the bike ride :)

Used to be a massive cycler and cycled absolutely everywhere clocking about 250 miles a month (just general commuting). I've recently sold out and bought a motorbike so rarely ride now. I still love riding. Still think its the quickest form of transport around Leicester during the school rush (which is the time I usually have to commute).

Currently have a hybrid but also a road bike,.

• 3 weeks later...

A lad at work asked me if I wanted to buy his Carrera Fury off him for £350. He got it on the W2W scheme, it retails at £499 new, he`s spent £20 on lights for it, he`s had it for about a month and only taken it out half a dozen times.

• Approximate Weight (KG): 13.1kg
  • Forks: Suntour Raidon X2 air
  • Number of Gears: 20
  • Front Mech: SRAM X5 2x10 front mech
  • Gear Shifters: SRAM X5 2x10 trigger shifters
  • Tyres: Continental Mountain King
  • Chainset: FSA 2x10 chainset 36/24T
  • Fork Lock-out: Yes
  • Front Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake
  • Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake

Main.jpg

What ya reckon?

A lad at work asked me if I wanted to buy his Carrera Fury off him for £350. He got it on the W2W scheme, it retails at £499 new, he`s spent £20 on lights for it, he`s had it for about a month and only taken it out half a dozen times.

• Approximate Weight (KG): 13.1kg
  • Forks: Suntour Raidon X2 air
  • Number of Gears: 20
  • Front Mech: SRAM X5 2x10 front mech
  • Gear Shifters: SRAM X5 2x10 trigger shifters
  • Tyres: Continental Mountain King
  • Chainset: FSA 2x10 chainset 36/24T
  • Fork Lock-out: Yes
  • Front Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake
  • Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brake

Main.jpg

What ya reckon?

Don't do it. The bike is not legally his to sell until he completes the repayments.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_to_Work_scheme

Btw, I want it for Hicks Lodge (and other trails).

This obviously aint me in the vid, just plucked it from You Tube.

Hicks Lodge is about 2 miles away from me (didnt know it was there until a bloke at work told me about it :blush: ) and I did it for the first time yesterday.... Loved it.

Edited by I am Rod Hull

Im looking at getting a road bike for work. I will be using it a lot as my job will involve riding to and from peoples houses. Not sure what to get. I like the look at the viking bikes. Ive not got the biggest budget to spend

Whats your job, paper boy?

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

So, summers here again and I'm considering getting on the bike again, I refuse on the bike I currently have as its ancient and just simply no good.

I asked last year and the general consensus was do not touch Halfords, I've took that advice and I've also been told the same by others.

Been looking on Evans Cycles website. I'm looking at around £300 mark I reckon. Seen these 3, anyone got any advice on them or opinions?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/aggressor-sport-2015-mountain-bike-ec070832

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/nevada-19-disc-2015-29er-mountain-bike-ec072770

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/aggressor-comp-2015-mountain-bike-ec070831

So, summers here again and I'm considering getting on the bike again, I refuse on the bike I currently have as its ancient and just simply no good.

I asked last year and the general consensus was do not touch Halfords, I've took that advice and I've also been told the same by others.

Been looking on Evans Cycles website. I'm looking at around £300 mark I reckon. Seen these 3, anyone got any advice on them or opinions?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/aggressor-sport-2015-mountain-bike-ec070832

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/nevada-19-disc-2015-29er-mountain-bike-ec072770

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/aggressor-comp-2015-mountain-bike-ec070831

Matt will you actually be using it to go up hills n stuff?

People buy these big boy mountain bikes but never touch a hill... If not think about a road bike or hybrid?

Matt will you actually be using it to go up hills n stuff?

People buy these big boy mountain bikes but never touch a hill... If not think about a road bike or hybrid?

I probably would, i'd say i'm likely to go on dirt tracks and hills, went on a ride with my mates a few years ago and went the longest, hardest (It seemed), dirt tracks and hills and my crappy bike that's around 12 - 15 years old, jesus I struggled, i'd be very fit if I did that often on that bike I can tell you, but whilst i'm up for fitness and hard work, continuing with that bike is out of the question - I wouldn't mind doing more of those rides but a new bike is needed.

Cheers also for the advice JJJS.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

I probably would, i'd say i'm likely to go on dirt tracks and hills, went on a ride with my mates a few years ago and went the longest, hardest (It seemed), dirt tracks and hills and my crappy bike that's around 12 - 15 years old, jesus I struggled, i'd be very fit if I did that often on that bike I can tell you, but whilst i'm up for fitness and hard work, continuing with that bike is out of the question - I wouldn't mind doing more of those rides but a new bike is needed.

Cheers also for the advice JJJS.

Get one asap..the longer you leave it the less you'll do it.

Tbf halfords ain't THAT bad,suppose you gotta be luvky in who your assistant is there.Compare a few shops,Julie's on Clarendon pk rd are always a good source of info but usually ££££..

Tbf halfords ain't THAT bad

This is true - Halfords have a bad reputation as their RRP prices are too high and some branches have awful technicians. I bought my Voodoo Aizan from Abbey Lane and got great service and have done the few times I popped back for puncture repairs when I got a flat on the way to work

It's also worth keeping an eye out for their offers. My Aizan was meant to be £450 (and really good spec even for that price). They had a 10% off online offer, which knocked £45 off. Then there was an offer that if you were a member of British Cycling (£7 first year membership) you got another 10% off. Then there was deal online where you got £110 worth of Halfords vouchers for £100. Ended up paying about £300 for what feels like a £1000 bike. Really pleased.