Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

So, summers here again and I'm considering getting on the bike again, I refuse on the bike I currently have as its ancient and just simply no good.

I asked last year and the general consensus was do not touch Halfords, I've took that advice and I've also been told the same by others.

Been looking on Evans Cycles website. I'm looking at around £300 mark I reckon. Seen these 3, anyone got any advice on them or opinions?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/aggressor-sport-2015-mountain-bike-ec070832

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/nevada-19-disc-2015-29er-mountain-bike-ec072770

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/aggressor-comp-2015-mountain-bike-ec070831

Looks like Summer is defo here today Matt!!! lol!!..Great time to get that bike...at least bikeshops won't be busy today!!! Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been looking at ways to get back into shape and cycling has been very appealing since I got back from Amsterdam a few weeks back. Looking at getting a road bike/fixie but don't wanna blow too much money at first incase it's not for me. What kind of bikes are available to me for less than £250?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/avenir-race-700c-road-bike-47cm-frame-designed-by-raleigh/602-6746.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=602-6746

Found this but seeing as it's on Tescos I'm put off

GT are quality, even their budget end ones are really well put together. I'd go for the Aggressor Comp out of those 3. Just get a decent lock, my old Chucker was snatched from outside the security lodge at work. Loved that bike, was absolutely fuming

Yout can often find some good bikes on gumtree

:ph34r:

Been looking at ways to get back into shape and cycling has been very appealing since I got back from Amsterdam a few weeks back. Looking at getting a road bike/fixie but don't wanna blow too much money at first incase it's not for me. What kind of bikes are available to me for less than £250?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/avenir-race-700c-road-bike-47cm-frame-designed-by-raleigh/602-6746.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=602-6746

Found this but seeing as it's on Tescos I'm put off

It looks OK, a few sites are selling it at £499 http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/products/2015-avenir-race-gents-700c-road-racing-bike

Im looking at getting a road bike for work. I will be using it a lot as my job will involve riding to and from peoples houses. Not sure what to get. I like the look at the viking bikes. Ive not got the biggest budget to spend

Whats your job, paper boy?

This made me laugh for longer than it should of!

I finally bought one a few weeks ago!

From Halfords :ph34r: (Although people said depending on the deal Halfords aren't that bad).

Bought a Carrera Vulcan. Very happy with it.

Should have been £579 but was in a sale (What seems one of those never ending sales) for £329 (I do understand they mark their prices up so they can lower them for sale and make it look a good price). That's the price I was looking at and think i've got quite a lot for the money.

I've always been a mountain biker that's recently got into road biking, loving it so far got a specialized Allez sport it's so nice to ride can do 30/40 miles without knowing.

If you're looking for a cheap but decent road bike look at decathlon sports their own only brand b'win I think they are called are meant to be great entey level seen loads out on them and a few I spoke to said they are great. Have a look if you want to get into road biking

I've always been a mountain biker that's recently got into road biking, loving it so far got a specialized Allez sport it's so nice to ride can do 30/40 miles without knowing.

If you're looking for a cheap but decent road bike look at decathlon sports their own only brand b'win I think they are called are meant to be great entey level seen loads out on them and a few I spoke to said they are great. Have a look if you want to get into road biking

Decathlon biking kit gets great reviews in the magazines and is cheap.

I did and I've discovered I am very unfit.

Trust me, your fitness will improve over time, just keep at it. Try and find yourself a little 10km loop (get the strava app on your phone to measure the distance) and keep doing it. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR SPEED!, concentrate on the distance and gradually increase it.

I slowly increased my distances from 10km to 20km to 30km to 50km to 70km... I`m now doing 100km rides with ease and have gone down 2 sizes in waist. This was not done overnight, it was done over a year or so.

Above all... enjoy it  :thumbup:

Trust me, your fitness will improve over time, just keep at it. Try and find yourself a little 10km loop (get the strava app on your phone to measure the distance) and keep doing it. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR SPEED!, concentrate on the distance and gradually increase it.

I slowly increased my distances from 10km to 20km to 30km to 50km to 70km... I`m now doing 100km rides with ease and have gone down 2 sizes in waist. This was not done overnight, it was done over a year or so.

Above all... enjoy it  :thumbup:

100km! Bloody hell!

I'm doing like you've suggested standard 10 to 12km loops.

Last weekend I did 16.8km though, I know you said don't worry about speed/time, did it in 57 minutes though, is that good? I reckon it's about an average speed time to complete that distance, certainly not fast.

The route is downhill one way (Which i've been doing to get me out there) but last week I went the opposite way (Obviously uphill) didn't feel that bad tbh!

100km! Bloody hell!

I'm doing like you've suggested standard 10 to 12km loops.

Last weekend I did 16.8km though, I know you said don't worry about speed/time, did it in 57 minutes though, is that good? I reckon it's about an average speed time to complete that distance, certainly not fast.

The route is downhill one way (Which i've been doing to get me out there) but last week I went the opposite way (Obviously uphill) didn't feel that bad tbh!

Nowt wrong with that time  and well done on the distance, you`re increasing it and thats good. I`d average around the same time on my mtb I reckon. I average 23/24 kmph on the road bike on a 100km ride and thats considered slow  lol

Get a road bike. Longer, faster, easier  :thumbup:

Btw, if anyone on strava wants a follow buddy, pm me  :)

Edited by I am Rod Hull

Keep adding a few km/miles on every ride.  I started off doing a cycle to work which was 6 miles each way.  Then weekends it was 10/20/30 upwards to 100 miles.

My speed has never been fast and some of my mates find it funny that i'm last on Strava.  But it doesn't matter.  GO at your own pace.  If your struggling change down a gear, if too easy then change up. As the miles build up then eating is the biggest problem imo.

I attempted a cycle ride from Leicester to the Isle of Wight in one day.  Managed just over 120 on my own before having to give up.  Probably would of completed it if with others.

The year after i cycled Leicester to Caistor on Sea and back over 4 days.

I believe that anybody can do that distance with the correct training.  

Seeing the world through the speed of a bike is a great thing

• Like 1

Keep adding a few km/miles on every ride.  I started off doing a cycle to work which was 6 miles each way.  Then weekends it was 10/20/30 upwards to 100 miles.

My speed has never been fast and some of my mates find it funny that i'm last on Strava.  But it doesn't matter.  GO at your own pace.  If your struggling change down a gear, if too easy then change up. As the miles build up then eating is the biggest problem imo.

I attempted a cycle ride from Leicester to the Isle of Wight in one day.  Managed just over 120 on my own before having to give up.  Probably would of completed it if with others.

The year after i cycled Leicester to Caistor on Sea and back over 4 days.

I believe that anybody can do that distance with the correct training.  

Seeing the world through the speed of a bike is a great thing

That's 180 miles, you'd have to average more 20mph for 8 hours solid to do that.