Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Match Ratings : Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester - Results & Man of the Match

You Know Things Are Bad When...

lcfcratings.wordpress.com

Sunday 7th December 2014, 16:00
Barclays Premier League
Villa Park, Birmingham

Aston Villa 2
Clark 17′, Hutton 71′

Leicester City 1
Ulloa 13′

You know things are bad when your goalkeeper is man of the match despite losing and not keeping a clean sheet. That is exactly what happened as Leicester City's awful run continued, with Kasper Schmeichel the only barrier against a heavier scoreline in favour of Aston Villa. Denmark's No. 1 made a string of excellent saves and received one of the highest ratings seen in recent months, with ratings that are more typical of late given to Argentine pair Cambiasso and Ulloa who finished second and third respectively. An honourable mention should be given to David Nugent whose decent performance after coming on as second-half substitute saw him break his run of bottom-place finishes.

At the other end of the spectrum were particularly low ratings for Matty James, Paul Konchesky, Liam Moore and Jeff Schlupp, who didn't have much to separate them at the bottom end just above the 4.00 mark. Things go from bad to worse for Nigel Pearson as another poor match rating came his way, but most concerning of all is the confidence drop to just 62% as the voting support becomes more and more split on whether Pearson is still the right man for the job.

Meanwhile Aston Villa were voted as the 5th worst opposition seen this this season, while referee Craig Pawson received the lowest vote of any referee all season by some distance. This rating was no doubt heavily influenced by the bizarre decision to dismiss Paul Konchesky after an altercation with Villa's Alan Hutton, while allowing the Scot to remain on the pitch despite clearly being the aggressor of the incident.

Total Votes : 214

LCFC Ratings Man of the Match : Kasper Schmeichel

1. Kasper Schmeichel : 7.26
  2. Esteban Cambiasso : 6.11
  3. Leonardo Ulloa : 5.93
  4. (SUB) David Nugent : 5.59
  5. Danny Simpson : 5.46
  6. Riyad Mahrez : 5.10
  7. Marcin Wasilewski : 4.98
  8. (SUB) Chris Wood : 4.76
  9. Jamie Vardy : 4.52
  10. (SUB) Marc Albrighton : 4.23
  11. Matty James : 4.17
  12. Paul Konchesky : 4.11
  13. Liam Moore : 4.07
  14. Jeff Schlupp : 4.00

Manager Performance : 4.50

Opposition Performance : 5.16

Officials Performance (Ref: Craig Pawson) : 3.01

Overall Manager Confidence : 62.44% (-10.73%)

I don't think the ref was the worst we've had all season. He wasn't too bad barring one utter farce of an incident and you have to wonder how much influence his assistants had on it.

Can't think of anyone worse.

He had zero control of the game. He was totally out of his depth.

If anything, the referee did us a favour in the first place by not sending Vardy off for his wild scissor lunge from behind. If thats not out of control and excessive force then i dont know what is.

Of course the red card was harsh and it has been rightly overturned, but why dive in in the first place in a nothing area of the pitch?

Thankfully its been overturned but i highly doubt it would have influenced the result anyway.

Thought the ref against QPR was a disgrace, Liverpool the same. One decision's ruined Pawson for me.

I'm excusing him of the red card. I think the lino needs to make that call.

He just blew for every little foul and gave yellow cards out for fun. He just didn't have control of the game, he was like a rabbit in the headlights.

Thought the ref against QPR was a disgrace, Liverpool the same. One decision's ruined Pawson for me.

Have to agree, to many of the premier league refs bow down to pressure of the home fans, like the qpr, or buy every dive by the top teams, like sterling v Liverpool.

If anything, the referee did us a favour in the first place by not sending Vardy off for his wild scissor lunge from behind. If thats not out of control and excessive force then i dont know what is.

Of course the red card was harsh and it has been rightly overturned, but why dive in in the first place in a nothing area of the pitch?

Thankfully its been overturned but i highly doubt it would have influenced the result anyway.

Vardy's tackle was perfectly fine. He caught some of the player but it was a clean tackle where he won the ball. The game is going ridiculously soft if that's a booking let alone a red card.

At the very least you have to say if he'd have sent Vardy off for that then he'd have to send off Clark for a very similar challenge which could certainly have been judged as excessive force, there was definitely more malice (revenge, even) in that one than in Vardy's.

Schlupp the worst player?! Mad

Not at all, he was woeful once again; costing us the second goal, not to mention blazing high into the crowd from a great position being two of his ghastly highlights.

This was a night where most players were poor and Liam Moore had an absolute disaster at centre back and yet Schlupp still looked the worst player on the pitch by some distance.

Mahrez seems to get the benefit of the doubt with his ratings a there's no doubt he was one of our worst 4 performers along with James and the aforementioned Schlupp and Moore.

Vardy's tackle was perfectly fine. He caught some of the player but it was a clean tackle where he won the ball. The game is going ridiculously soft if that's a booking let alone a red card.

At the very least you have to say if he'd have sent Vardy off for that then he'd have to send off Clark for a very similar challenge which could certainly have been judged as excessive force, there was definitely more malice (revenge, even) in that one than in Vardy's.

Vardys was from behind, he left the ground, didnt win the ball and scissored the opponent.

Clarks one was very forceful but he came in from the side, went with one foot and played the ball.

Vardys tackle was not perfectly fine, thats just daft suggesting it was.

Amazing how people see certain players as being great, whilst others get such ridicule and vindictiveness.

The fickleness of football fans.

If anyone seriously saw Schulpp as great on Sunday they need taking away in white coats to a very secure unit.

The only positive I can give is like Everton he made me literally laugh out loud with that effort.

Although him or Moore would have been worthy of that bottom slot this week. Not a good week for 'our own'.

If Schlupp scored a hattrick  after rest of the team had been sent off he still wouldn't get any credit on here.

While I don't disagree that there is a ridiculous amount of bias attributed to a lot of player ratings on here, what exactly did Schlupp do on Sunday that was worthy of any credit? As much as I want the lad to succeed, it was an absolutely pants performance. Not saying that many of our players were any better, but his rating is fully deserved.

Vardys was from behind, he left the ground, didnt win the ball and scissored the opponent.

Clarks one was very forceful but he came in from the side, went with one foot and played the ball.

Vardys tackle was not perfectly fine, thats just daft suggesting it was.

Years ago I remember a pundit being asked whether a tackle was two-footed or not. He said 'look at the standing leg, if the other leg pulls back then the standing leg will still  catch the player, therefore it's got to be taking part in the challenge. And he didn't pull back the other leg, so it's got to be a two-footed challenge.' Maybe you could apply that to the tackle on Ulloa.

That said, I can think of other examples where a player takes a ball cleanly and catches the player with something other than the leading foot.

On balance, I felt it was a good tackle. Reminded me of a Walsh tackle on, I think David Hopkins in a game against Stoke in the early O'Neill days. The only question mark hovering over it, that I can think of, is the one above. I think the margin between right and wrong is, as Nige might put it, a fine one.

As for Vardy's tackle, it was from the side and not behind, but there was a follow-through and that's more likely than not what got him into trouble.

Schlupp's not a great player, but his pace and strength  can cause problems for opposition teams. He's not half as bad as some on here would claim and he was certainly no worse than Simpson.

Archived