Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Hello, 

I have followed this forum for a long time as an avid Leicester City fan! I was hoping some of you could help me out...  

I am conducting research to understand the impact that social media has on the destination choice of 18-34 year olds. If you fit this age category and have booked a holiday in the last 12 months I would be really grateful if you could take part in my survey. Thanks

https://nbsntu.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6XR0iDInPTAATwF

Hello, 

I have followed this forum for a long time as an avid Leicester City fan! I was hoping some of you could help me out...  

I am conducting research to understand the impact that social media has on the destination choice of 18-34 year olds. If you fit this age category and have booked a holiday in the last 12 months I would be really grateful if you could take part in my survey. Thanks

https://nbsntu.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6XR0iDInPTAATwF

Done

How safe is it over there? The girlfriend wanted us to get a car and drive round ourselves.

CT is safe. The rest of the country is a bit dangerous, but CT is ok. We stayed for three days and took a car.

One day for Stellenbosch (wine tour). Brilliant. Not to be missed.

One day Table Mountain. This you don't plan it. You wake up, if you see the mountain you go. If the mountain is in a mist then better wait for the next day.

One day Cape of Good Hope and False Bay. The drive down Chapman's Peak Drive is beautiful. The fish restaurants on Simon's Town in False Bay waterfront are great. They were cheap even by Croatian standards and the seafood is great. Love the wine list. All local wines. Great choice. apart form the seafood we were stuffing ourselves with steaks. SA's probably got the best steaks after Argentina.

V&A Waterfront in CT is nice to go out and have a drink, but I preffered the bars in Longmarket Street. Green Market square is great for souvenirs. It's a large flea market riht int he city center. Bo-Kaap part of town (near Signal Hill) is cool.

We didn't have time to go to Robben Island, but we drove past the prison Mandela was last imprisoned in (near Stellenbosch) on the same day, but 20 years after he was released. We didn't plan it. Your drove past, saw a lot of people and a statue of Mandela. Only later realised what we passed by.

BTW. There are a few game parks (safari) an hour or two's drive from CT in the plains called the Great Karoo. Google it. :) We didn't go there as we went in Natal.

Edited by tripe
  • Like 1

Not booked anything proper yet but going to Dublin for a few days in April. Anyone been before?

yes 5 times.

stayed in temple bar area every time, best year was being in town for the all ireland hurling final, place was buzzing.

done all the usual, guiness store house and sky bar, jamesons distillery, croke park tour, there's normally some comedy nights on in the pubs if you keep your eye out.

and places like the oliver st john have local musicians in day and night.

then plenty of shops on o'connell st

love it. but now I have kids it's not really somewhere I'd take them out at night, bit to busy for them.

• Like 1

How safe is it over there? The girlfriend wanted us to get a car and drive round ourselves.

Very safe.

I'd rent a car to get around.

If you do get a car, go to Simon's beach to see the penguins and drive down to Cape Point.

PM me with info about what you guys like to do and I'll send some more details.

CT is safe. The rest of the country is a bit dangerous, but CT is ok. We stayed for three days and took a car.

One day for Stellenbosch (wine tour). Brilliant. Not to be missed.

One day Table Mountain. This you don't plan it. You wake up, if you see the mountain you go. If the mountain is in a mist then better wait for the next day.

One day Cape of Good Hope and False Bay. The drive down Chapman's Peak Drive is beautiful. The fish restaurants on Simon's Town in False Bay waterfront are great. They were cheap even by Croatian standards and the seafood is great. Love the wine list. All local wines. Great choice. apart form the seafood we were stuffing ourselves with steaks. SA's probably got the best steaks after Argentina.

V&A Waterfront in CT is nice to go out and have a drink, but I preffered the bars in Longmarket Street. Green Market square is great for souvenirs. It's a large flea market riht int he city center. Bo-Kaap part of town (near Signal Hill) is cool.

We didn't have time to go to Robben Island, but we drove past the prison Mandela was last imprisoned in (near Stellenbosch) on the same day, but 20 years after he was released. We didn't plan it. Your drove past, saw a lot of people and a statue of Mandela. Only later realised what we passed by.

BTW. There are a few game parks (safari) an hour or two's drive from CT in the plains called the Great Karoo. Google it. :) We didn't go there as we went in Natal.

You managed a lot in 3 days! Longstreet isnt my cup of tea, it tends to be full of backpackers.

The game parks near CT are OK, they are however akin to Longleat Safari park. The Karoo is vast and doesn't really start until about 4 hours outside of CT at Beaufort West.

But they are good as long as you know it is a somewhat sanitised experience.

I've been to Cape Town in 1999 and enjoyed it :)

I was young though so cannot remember a lot, but I remember table top mountain, Robin Island and the prison Mandela was kept in, holding a guards gun outside a secure building and standing at the Cape of Good Hope with one foot in each ocean.

I've been to Cape Town in 1999 and enjoyed it :)

I was young though so cannot remember a lot, but I remember table top mountain, Robin Island and the prison Mandela was kept in, holding a guards gun outside a secure building and standing at the Cape of Good Hope with one foot in each ocean.

I'll disappoint you now. This is a common mistake people make. The Cape of Good Hope IS NOT the place where the two oceans meet. They actually meet some 150 miles southeast at Cape Agulhas (even thought their currents mix from Cape Point to Cape Agulhas)

• Like 1

where you interrailing man? or just gonna plan it as you go? went last summer and it was wicked. 

nothing set in stone yet - maybe going from Germany to Italy via Austria, Slovenia and Croatia but very much open to recommendations.

How long did you tend to spend in each place?

nothing set in stone yet - maybe going from Germany to Italy via Austria, Slovenia and Croatia but very much open to recommendations.

I did it last summer - did Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Vienna, Lake Bled, Venice, Florence and Rome. Budapest and Lake Bled in particular are beautiful, and Florence was my pick of the Italian cities.

Edited by Jonaldinho
  • Like 1

Yeah easy going is the best way to do it.

We went Amsterdam-Berlin-Prague-Bratislava-Budapest-Zagreb-Split.

Ranged from two days in a few places to 4 in split as a beach holiday at the end. like jordaninho said Budapest was probably my fav place, great stuff to do in the day (visit the baths) and boss nightlife for young people. Croatia was great too, cheap and nice beers, dead hot, stuff to do and in split when we were knackered at the end of it just lay on a beach an went out at night. Some of the women oh my, some of the women.

We planned to go to Vienna (presume that's what you mean by Austria) but in Prague we met some Dutch birds who said it was quite boring and expensive. They actually said "boring to you" as in a group of 6 lads who were more concerned by the price of the local ale than seeing where Mozart made his first song or something. So we skipped it and followed them (non-stalker way) to bratislava instead. So even if you do have a plan it'll probably change half way through lol.

You lone manning it or going in a group?

Edited by ScouseFox

Yeah easy going is the best way to do it.

We went Amsterdam-Berlin-Prague-Bratislava-Budapest-Zagreb-Split.

Ranged from two days in a few places to 4 in split as a beach holiday at the end. like jordaninho said Budapest was probably my fav place, great stuff to do in the day (visit the baths) and boss nightlife for young people. Croatia was great too, cheap and nice beers, dead hot, stuff to do and in split when we were knackered at the end of it just lay on a beach an went out at night. Some of the women oh my, some of the women.

We planned to go to Vienna (presume that's what you mean by Austria) but in Prague we met some Dutch birds who said it was quite boring and expensive. They actually said "boring to you" as in a group of 6 lads who were more concerned by the price of the local ale than seeing where Mozart made his first song or something. So we skipped it and followed them (non-stalker way) to bratislava instead. So even if you do have a plan it'll probably change half way through lol.

You lone manning it or going in a group?

Jordaninho lol

The baths are awesome in Budapest, I went to the Szechenyi Baths and just spent the day there. They have parties there on weekends too (which I missed, although I'm not sure swimming in what will soon be pretty disgusting water is that great anyway.)

As Scouse says Vienna was pretty average for me, there wasn't loads to do. Krakow is much much much better if you have the time, plus you get to go to Auschwitz which is a brilliant trip. Everyone I've spoken to loved Croatia, although I didn't have the time to go there.

Two things: 1) Stay flexible. One of the best things about interrailing is being able to change your plans if you want to go somewhere with a group of friends; you don't want to just have a rigid plan (although some people prefer this I guess, I'd find it too restrictive.) 2) Don't rush places. There's no point going to cities like Berlin/Paris/Amsterdam/Budapest and staying there for one night as you won't be able to properly experience the city and all it has to offer. It's a waste of time IMO.

Haha dunno why I wrote Jordan. I'm in work and lone working so wasn't concentrating massively is my excuse :D

Yeh that's another good point, cos we only went for 16 days we rushed a few places. Could definitely do with another long weekend/midweek in Berlin, got a good feel for it but could deffo have stayed longer.

Another tip about goin out is to try and follow/hook onto a "bar crawl" type gig. We did that in the first night in most places. Didn't pay or officially join any but you can spot them a mile off an they invariably lead you to the sounder bars an stuff. Sounds a bit gay but it meant you got to meet a lot of birds who were also interrailing, you can then get the ball rolling in terms of blagging a bird if you want, or just finding out what's best to do in which gaff etc.

Dunno about anyone else who's done it but a lot of our trip was just word of mouth, one person/group said this was great so we checked it out, a few others said there's no point doing this/something else is a rip off etc so we bailed.

As for the actual railing part. Crikey. Good luck there :D

Haha dunno why I wrote Jordan. I'm in work and lone working so wasn't concentrating massively is my excuse :D

Yeh that's another good point, cos we only went for 16 days we rushed a few places. Could definitely do with another long weekend/midweek in Berlin, got a good feel for it but could deffo have stayed longer.

Another tip about goin out is to try and follow/hook onto a "bar crawl" type gig. We did that in the first night in most places. Didn't pay or officially join any but you can spot them a mile off an they invariably lead you to the sounder bars an stuff. Sounds a bit gay but it meant you got to meet a lot of birds who were also interrailing, you can then get the ball rolling in terms of blagging a bird if you want, or just finding out what's best to do in which gaff etc.

Dunno about anyone else who's done it but a lot of our trip was just word of mouth, one person/group said this was great so we checked it out, a few others said there's no point doing this/something else is a rip off etc so we bailed.

As for the actual railing part. Crikey. Good luck there :D

How many birds did you steam through Scouse?