Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Burgers

Dunno if it's still open but there was a Jamie Oliver pop up called Jamie's Diner at Piccadilly Circus. I had a burger topped with pulled pork there that nearly achieved meat perfection.

I'm a borderline Byron addict. Been loads since they released the Holy Cheesemas. It's cheaper (I think?) than Handmade Burger, Coast to Coast and Frankie n Benny's and is infinitely nicer than all of them (although maybe not difficult.)

Probably my favourite burger in Leicester.

Do like a bit of Spanky van Dyke's in Nottingham.

I'm a borderline Byron addict. Been loads since they released the Holy Cheesemas. It's cheaper (I think?) than Handmade Burger, Coast to Coast and Frankie n Benny's and is infinitely nicer than all of them (although maybe not difficult.)

Probably my favourite burger in Leicester.

Do like a bit of Spanky van Dyke's in Nottingham.

Is it the same as last years triple cheesemas?

Just because a burger is stacked really high doesn't make it amazing. Less is more with a burger, keep it simple and don't overload with flavours/sauces.

Generally speaking, I'd say you're right. A huge dollop of barbeque/other sauce (as tasty as it can be) overpowers any flavour in the meat, and you might as well just have the bread and barbecue sauce. However cheese almost always improves a burger, crispy bacon and/or onion rings are usually welcome too, so long as the burger is thick and grilled enough that it's still the main flavour. If it's barbecued or properly grilled, I don't bother with anything besides cheese and maybe ketchup.

Going the other way from the topic, the missus had the Pulled Chicken burger recently from KFC and after a colleague had bigged it up as the best burger around, I was amazed that KFC could put something so bland out. It tasted almost solely of carrots and watered down barbecue sauce. The pulled chicken itself was pointless and had none of good properties of pulled pork. That thing will be pulled (badumtish) from the menu in no time.

gonna make my own burgers tomorrow night after work i reckon, inspired by this thread. anyone got any must dos? 

all i know is it will definitely include a burger, some cheese, some bacon and some chillies/chilli powder/chilli sauce. can't wait. 

gonna make my own burgers tomorrow night after work i reckon, inspired by this thread. anyone got any must dos? 

all i know is it will definitely include a burger, some cheese, some bacon and some chillies/chilli powder/chilli sauce. can't wait. 

Perfect the burger itself. Get fatty mince or even chuck steak, anything lean will lack moisture and your patty will dry out and crumble. Don't forget to add an egg to bind it all together.

If you have a frier, top it with some onion straws; fried onions soaked in milk then dipped in flour and seasoning.

gonna make my own burgers tomorrow night after work i reckon, inspired by this thread. anyone got any must dos?  all i know is it will definitely include a burger, some cheese, some bacon and some chillies/chilli powder/chilli sauce. can't wait.

What joeker said - fatty mince and egg are essential. Definitely recommend mixing in a bit of fresh chilli, season as you like and probably add a pinch of sugar too - brings out the beef flavour well. Let them stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before you cook

I like the Morrison's New York burgers, which have gherkin, Monterey Jack and onion mixed in - gonna try making my own when barbecue season commences

What joeker said - fatty mince and egg are essential. Definitely recommend mixing in a bit of fresh chilli, season as you like and probably add a pinch of sugar too - brings out the beef flavour well. Let them stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before you cook

I like the Morrison's New York burgers, which have gherkin, Monterey Jack and onion mixed in - gonna try making my own when barbecue season commences

Probably the most important bit, cook them cold and the meat tenses up and goes tough. 

The burger i always remember is the baconator at Wendy's. After 2 weeks of shit food in Dom Rep the airport on the way home had a wendy's. Best meal i had all holiday. 2nd time i went Dom Rep was to get married and was really looking forward to having that burger again on the way home. (Think i was more excited about the burger than getting married haha)

Guest MattP

Not really a burger fan but the five guys place seemed very decent when I had one.

Although I get called weird when I eat a burger as I only eat it with bacon on and with a knife and fork.

For me a burger is all about simplicity. A soft bun, some nice salad and sauce and a good quality patty with the right amount of cheese properly melted. Anything else is just hipster crap. I had an expensive burger from one of these places once and it came with a crispy bun that rained flakes all over my plate. Disgusting. Those burgers that are more than two inches high, makes it inedible so what's the point?

I conclude that burgers are the starbucks of food, popular with hipsters but lacking any real taste, class or sophistication. Happy to be proven wrong of course as always.

Archived