Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Match Ratings : Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester - Results and Man of the Match

Pearson Suffers Big Hit Following Cup Exit

lcfcratings.wordpress.com

Sunday 15 February 2015, 12:30
FA Cup : 5th Round
Villa Park, Birmingham

Aston Villa 2
Bacuna 68′, Sinclair 89′

Leicester City 1
Kramaric 90′

Leicester City getting knocked out of the FA Cup appears to be the turning point for Nigel Pearson, as a whopping 30% of the voting supporters turned against him with the overall supporter confidence reduced from 85% to 55% after a single game. In addition Pearson received his lowest match rating of the season (2.73) as fans were left unimpressed with his tactical choices throughout the game, with only one substitution being made throughout a difficult second half a particular talking point. Pearson retains a narrow majority of support but confidence is at a seasonal low with a very important few months in the club's future to come.

It was a bittersweet game for Andrej Kramaric as he won his first man of the match award (6.35) in the defeat. His excellent goal and decent display in a difficult system for him saw him finish above second-placed Matty James (6.03) while Marcin Wasilewski (5.30) also made the top three despite rating below average. There were some terrible performances at the other end with Danny Simpson (3.18) beating Mark Schwarzer (3.28) and Wes Morgan (3.42) into bottom place. So many poor performances meant the team rating (4.58) was the third worst so far this season.

Aston Villa now hold two of the bottom three places in the worst opposition performance rankings after their display (4.18) was ranked as the third-worst seen by the City fans this season. Meanwhile Mark Clattenburg now holds two of the top six positions in the performance ranking of referees, with his 6th-placed display against Villa (6.44) narrowly behind his other performance against Manchester United (6.70).

Full results below:

Total Votes : 244

LCFC Ratings Man of the Match : Andrej Kramaric

1. Andrej Kramaric : 6.35
  2. Matty James : 6.03
  3. Marcin Wasilewski : 5.30
  4. Matthew Upson : 5.21
  5. Paul Konchesky : 4.93
  6. (SUB) Leonardo Ulloa : 4.81
  7. Esteban Cambiasso : 4.62
  8. Jeff Schlupp : 4.15
  9. Riyad Mahrez : 4.01
  10. Wes Morgan : 3.42
  11. Mark Schwarzer : 3.28
  12. Danny Simpson : 3.18

Team Performance : 4.58 (27/29)

Manager Performance : 2.73 (25/25)

Opposition Performance : 4.18 (27/29)

Officials Performance (Ref: Mark Clattenburg) : 6.44 (6/29)

Overall Manager Confidence : 54.51% (-30.38%)

If we scored a second goal in stoppage time all of those ratings go up by a point at least and the manager confidence stays where it was. That people's judgement of the performance of players football match, indeed on what is best for the future of a club in general, can change based on one result is incredibly depressing. How one cup game can change the minds of 30% of the fans who vote in this I don't know, but it's a sad window into the minds of a decent chunk of football fans. I just don't get it.

If we scored a second goal in stoppage time all of those ratings go up by a point at least and the manager confidence stays where it was. That people's judgement of the performance of players football match, indeed on what is best for the future of a club in general, can change based on one result is incredibly depressing. How one cup game can change the minds of 30% of the fans who vote in this I don't know, but it's a sad window into the minds of a decent chunk of football fans. I just don't get it.

Yep, winds me up no end.

It's like the Palace game. We could play exactly the same and one of our chances goes in and we don't gift them theirs and we win. 7s and 8s all round.

Voters base the ratings on result rather than performance. Which isn't right.

Out of curiosity.

Who holds the highest rating for referee performances?

If we scored a second goal in stoppage time all of those ratings go up by a point at least and the manager confidence stays where it was.

1) I doubt it would stay where it was.

2) But we never looked like scoring a second goal. Villa were a poor side and were worthy winners.

I voted "stay" but I can certainly sympathise why meekly surrendering to a notoriously poor Villa side might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Personally I thought it was our second worst performance of the season after the Swansea debacle.

Edit: obviously "straw that broke the camel's back" doesn't represent a 30% swing, but it might account for 15% plus another 15% of knee-jerkers.

Yep, winds me up no end.

It's like the Palace game. We could play exactly the same and one of our chances goes in and we don't gift them theirs and we win. 7s and 8s all round.

Out of curiosity.

But the performance was rubbish against Villa and good against Palace (imo) so I'm not sure the two are comparable.

Really though if people applied logic you would expect much greater inertia in wanting the manager sacked. If you genuinely think he should go then fine, but if we scrape an undeserved 1-0 at Everton I bet a minimum of 20% swing back to "stay" which is daft. A more comprehensive win and he could go back into the 90's.

Our fans are fickle either way.

But the performance was rubbish against Villa and good against Palace (imo) so I'm not sure the two are comparable.

The point stands.

If Schwarzer doesn't let in his howler and we draw 1-1 then I bet that everyone gets rated about 1 to 2 points higher.

Yep, winds me up no end.

Erm, what?

Surely if we score our chances and don't let the other side score that is then based on the performance as the performance would be better than not scoring and conceding? Surely that is how these ratings work otherwise they're completely pointless?

Erm, what?

Surely if we score our chances and don't let the other side score that is then based on the performance as the performance would be better than not scoring and conceding? Surely that is how these ratings work otherwise they're completely pointless?

Not entirely, although I see your point.

If none of our chances go in then you have to praise the opposition's goalkeeper as much as to criticise our attackers.

E.g. If Given doesn't pull off the worldy then we get a result from that game. Nothing to do with poor play and you could guarantee that ratings would be higher.

It's like the Spurs game vs the Hull game. I'd like to see the difference in performance ratings as an average. We were dogshit in Hull but got a result yet we were brilliant against Spurs (apart from probably Morgan and Hamer) yet we got beat.

The point stands.

If Schwarzer doesn't let in his howler and we draw 1-1 then I bet that everyone gets rated about 1 to 2 points higher. 

If my auntie had bollocks... Fact is we have no idea what would have happened if that specific, critical event hadn't have happened. I daresay Kramaric may never have had his chance to equalise.

We lost 1-0 at home to Palace which, on the face of it, was a worse result than losing away at Villa. The Palace game was ranked as our 15th (now 16th as Arsenal has bumped it down one) "best" performance of the season, whilst this is the 27th. I thought we were ok against Palace and it might have merited a place in the top 10-12 as I find it hard to sympathise with the view that not taking chances is indicative of not being very good - 90% of what we did against Palace was good and I prefer to think of the game in that context.

Personally I don't think think 27th is far off with this game though; I thought we were terrible. Sloppy in possession, lethargic, lacking creativity, making brainless decisions, slack marking, the list is endless.

As for the Pearson Out figure, at 54% it is lower than it has been all season, so demonstrably for some people this very much is the final straw and it is not knee-jerk. Also, this game was watched by a lot more people than the Arsenal game - I would be interested to know how many people voted Stay/Go after this game as opposed to the Arsenal game which let's not forget engendered some very positive and warm fuzzy feelings towards Nige because he was back from the dead (and obviously a good performance).

If (as seems to the case) the "hardcore" is more behind Pearson than the "average" fan, it stands to reason that Pearson's approval rating will be higher after a midweek game 100 miles away shortly after it appears that he's been sacked when he actually wasn't than after a game at a local rival which was attended by 6,500, ended our cup run and was on terrestrial TV on a Sunday lunchtime so everybody could watch it easily.

The reductive stance of assuming that a swing in manager approval indicates an overwhelming fickleness amongst the support fails to take into account that different people go to different games.

mental that when he was "sacked" 9 days ago this place went mental and it must've been 90%+ who were devastated and outraged. 

we followed that with the biggest positive swing ever in pearson's favour losing to arsenal (7 days ago). then one half hearted performance in the cup and it's down to 50%?! 

explain that one. 

mental that when he was "sacked" 9 days ago this place went mental and it must've been 90%+ who were devastated and outraged.

we followed that with the biggest positive swing ever in pearson's favour losing to arsenal (7 days ago). then one half hearted performance in the cup and it's down to 50%?!

explain that one.

You can't..it's inexplicable.

explain that one.

personally I've reached the end of the line with NP. Stay, go, I dont care anymore. Much like it appears he, and some of his players, dont. I'll attend a few more games, just to meet up with some good lads and have a beer and a laugh, but no more 'One Nigel Pearson' from me, been converted. Anyone got Blue Moons phone number?

I voted go for the first time, he persists with a formation and line up when it clearly isn't working... Yes we played well against Palace in the first half but we were below average in the second half.

I thought we only did ok against arsenal and that's all, we weren't that great but we were against decent opposition. I'm not sure if Pearson has lost it, he seems to be behaving bizarrely with media, team selection and formations! Has he given up?? I'll won't jump on his back and call for him to be sacked and I do hope he can turn things around, however things are not working and we can't seem to buy a win at present!

Out of curiosity.

Top Five:

7.31 - Lee Mason v Chelsea Away
6.72 - Michael Oliver v Stoke City Away
6.70 - Mark Clattenburg v Manchester United Home
6.66 - Michael Oliver v Southampton Away
6.56 - Mike Jones v Swansea City Away

maybe some of the swing was:

at  arsenal he picked a formation  that did well and lost.

at villa he picked a completely nonsensical  formation  that  performed poorly and lost.

maybe the swing is due to people thinking he had learnt is lesson only to  realise he hadn't.

Embarrassing that we have our own performance rated higher than Villa's and makes a mockery of the whole thing. I gave them either a 6 or a 7. They were nothing special. Merely competent. 4 is ridiculous though and one eyed.

I voted go for the first time, I look at our squad and genuinely believe there's three worse out there but it's not happening. One game in 17 days also gave time to find someone new and them to meet the players and train.

A few days later im still in the go camp but my initial despair has died down a little and the lack of obvious alternatives, without a release fee, means I think he's safe for the season.

Sunday was a disaster, and those ratings replicate that. The selection, the formation and the set up was all wrong for starters. Then came the performance itself. Certain players were voted 3 or less by me and rightly so, some of them didn't even look like they were bothered on Sunday. The 30% swing is big, but surely nobody expects anything different after Sunday? Even I, as a massive Pearson fan, questioned absolutely everything about our performance on Sunday.

As for, "if we would have scored the ratings would be different". Well yes, it's true. But we didn't. End of. There's far too many "ifs" in life if you look at it like that. Football fans are fickle, there's nothing new to learn there, and it's not just at our football club.

If you were there on Sunday I think it was quite easy to get caught up in the bad feeling towards the team/Nige. After the 2nd went in the atmosphere was absolutely poisonous. I felt the worst I've felt after that game this season, partly I think down to that atmosphere.

Most if the ratings seem pretty fair in my opinion.

Think Matty should have been top though.

I have no idea how the ref got rated 6th best this season. Made some horrible mistakes, clear red for Clarke for the challenge on schlupp and the pundits apparently said we should have had a penalty in first half? (Was at the game and never saw the debate)

Archived