Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

ok we've achieved our goal then. well done everyone! we don't need to keep growing. We can consider ourselves made it - as big as err Spurs - we have everything in place to go for a top 4 finish!  (apologies that was a bit sarcastic!)

It's about perception, attraction! it's about sky talking about us pushing for Europe and not tipped for relegation, it's about being seen as big, as established, as a force! The stadium is just one piece of the jigsaw (albeit a wok off 40,000 big friggin piece) 

We may pull off the odd coup with Cambiasso and Kram etc but we win some, we lose some as we are on a par with so many but fall short of the few!

AS i've said lots of times and you have read my recent posts Ollie, if you don't aim to be better / bigger than you are, you won't stop being what you have always been and we've always been a wannabe, so close but yet so far from winning anything of note. Yes you may try and fail but you may not fail and at least you tried!!

The stadium expansion tells the rest of the world.. We are ambitious, we are aiming high, come and be part of it!!!   It does half of your negotiating for you!!

You'd be good as a motivational speaker bagworth, think you might of swayed me somewhat. I still however think 40,000 is too big, but I'd take 37,000 as an initial step, see how it works then take it from there!

I'd think the owners would have the risk appetite for this. You can stay up for 4 years and be relegated - established or otherwise.

Truth is that if you stay up for four years and in the fourth year you have extra gate income to invest in the team, you may not be relegated!

The owners have the money and it will add value to the long term income and value of the business. No brainier if their stated verbal ambitions are to be realised.

40,000 wasn't too big up until 1971. I'm glad our owners are progressive and have vision. How else did they build their duty free empire? And before someone opens a poll about what name to give the new addition, I'm calling dibs on the "Top tier" - pun intended.

i'm going to try to put this another way as fair play is the key here. Liverpool risk losing Sterling to ' a bigger, more ambitious club' although they are already big enough to pay him huge wages, they are losing their reputation as market leading and have been for some years. Their brand is starting to weaken! They are not perceived as being as big as many of us remember them being. They failed to plan and have lost ground both on and off the pitch.

Nokia were leading the mobile phone market with Motorola for years. They failed to move with the times. Are they still the leading brand?

Going forward, fair play rules will be crucial. No matter how Rich your owners, you will need to bring money in to be allowed to pay money out! 

I believe there is talk of expanding Anfield.....

Ok what is the best way to maximise income. well stay in the prem for one! But in addition to that as every team you play in the prem is.... in the prem, how do you maximise revenue? Ok sell stuff! where do you sell it? Leicester? great - good market! How about, Leicester and Thailand! even better, more people buying shirts = more money. screw that!! What about the whole bloody world as there is one thing for sure, the more people that you try to sell to, the more people will buy!!

So how do you reach the whole world?- via being in the prem and doing well yes! But how do you stand out and make them want your shirt?? Well winning a lot really helps!!

But what really appeals to people all over the world is the whole package! And size is a big big part of that!! Having a big stadium that doesn't just look the same as most stadia really helps.

Slow at first but gradually you sneak ahead of the teams around you, your attendances are a bit higher, you sell more pies, a few extra peeps buys your kit and your revenue increases giving you that slight edge over your current rivals. You can pay a bit more and you seem a more attractive proposition to players so gradually you get more better players than the teams around you. You get to the point, you are no longer relegation fodder and can look to the next step and target beating those clubs that you have risen to challenge with.

But the stadium will cost a small fookin fortune I hear! It matters not!  why? fair play allows you this outlay outside of the regulations and it's not actually a cost... it's an investment. If you pay £200k for a house you have £200k less cash but a house worth 200k so you haven't actually spent anything ( let's not get into economics and the associated flaws - i'm aware there is risk here too)

The fact that the £200k or in this case circa £10m (guessing) you invest is only a small blot on your balance sheet makes it even more a 'no brainer' that you invest as such

Let's not aim to be a Nokia or a Blackberry, let's aim to be Sony for now with sight on challenging Samsung one day. When we are there, you review your strategy and decide whether or not it's even viable to challenge Apple! Probably not but it never stopped Abramovic having a go!

You'd be good as a motivational speaker bagworth, think you might of swayed me somewhat. I still however think 40,000 is too big, but I'd take 37,000 as an initial step, see how it works then take it from there!

I am full of shit! The honest truth is that the person typing this died some years ago and I should try to resurrect him! In my own life, I've got a long way and then just setttled for the comfort of where I am at! Doesn't mean I don't realise I should start aiming higher again, just can't be arsed! :)  :)  :)  However, our owners still have that ambition so let's let them go for it! (until they become like I have become  ;) )

Where's the option to reduce capacity? I'd like to see us scale down to 12 luxury suites and a spikey fence to keep out the hoi polloi.

I'd probably expand the stadium IF the infursturcture was their to use it for more than football (concerts etc).But from what i've read the ground was built on the cheap.

I'm going to presume they would need to reinforce the structure to build onto it anyway.

Guest bss9401

Yes increase it by the 5k. We would sell out at least a third of home games in the top flight and it would provide an opportunity to add some character to the stadium.

you can't pick and choose the numbers it'll be what ever the East Stand can take and will be done in one go. Unless of course they do one of the ends.

Quite often clubs will get big numbers after one or two premier league drains and then it quite a down a bit, if we sell out of season tickets for 2016/17 then yeah press on with expansion.

People need to remember that these 5,000-10,000 fans are going to be fickle so short term success isn't going to make a massive difference to long term fan base

People need to remember that these 5,000-10,000 fans are going to be fickle so short term success isn't going to make a massive difference to long term fan base

How do you build a bigger long term fan base if no body new can get a ticket though?

How do you build a bigger long term fan base if no body new can get a ticket though?

I agree with what you're saying but there's every possibility that we extend the ground to 40,000 and our attendance is 34,000 every week, so we've got the potential to grow but to entice the extra fans we're going to have to get top 10 finishes and Europe which is easier said than done.

I'm not particular bothered but these extra fans are going to be bandwagon hopping plastics which will bother some.

JFDI

We have some momentum now, tickets are in demand so time to expand the stadium, around 40k would be great, sounds like much more than 37k

My only caveat would be that they build in some huge covers so if attendances fall we can just shut the top tier, and pull the covers down so it doesn't look like there are 10k empty seats (like Boro)

And make the kop like a proper kop, like Spurs had for the plans for their new ground

internal-bowl.jpg

we have struggled to sell out a few home games this season, for me it should be kept at the capacity it already is. Last thing we want is for there to be 5k empty seats a game.

Yes because the away fans haven't filled their allocations

Surprised that no-one has mentioned that if the capacity increases, there will be an increase in jobs (vendors/stewards/litter-pickers etc) - so hence will be good for local economy, etc.

Think how quick the season tickets sold out? with the Gold, Silver and Bronze memberships and then the average person that wants to watch 1 or 2 games a season i think Leicester could fill 39k without any trouble in the Prem.

If we get relegated and cant fill the ground so what if there is 9k empty seats it won't effect the atmosphere much fans are still going to sit in the east stand as close to the away fans and sing all game.,

Teams like Man city cant even fill there ground on a European night against good opposition and nobody cares about that

Archived