Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Mass Effect Andromeda

8 hours ago, Beliall said:

I've been playing for a few hours now and I'm really enjoying t, but I'm suprised to see many online articles ruthlessley panning it for some reason, being insanely harsh. Take what you read with a pinch of salt

People have short memories.  The criticisms being levelled at the game are borderimg ridiculous.

Characters are dull.  Yes, you could say exactly the same thing with the original.  It took time for them to grow on you and even then some were still irritating.

Animations are poor.  Back in 2007 the animations are completely amazing according to some people and yet an improvement with the graphics over that time has now seen a downturn.

There is too much to do.  Make a game bigger than the previous 3 what do you expect.

The story is dull.  This is Mass Effect.  It's a slow burner.  You'd think that having played the previous 3 people would realise this.  Just because you're not running and jumping around like a crazed soldier ala COD all the time does not mean it's dull and boring.

It ebbs and flows.  That's what Mass Effect is.

Haven't people got anything better to do than criticise flaws that we all know will be part of the game simply as it's Mass Effect?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

People have short memories.  The criticisms being levelled at the game are borderimg ridiculous.

Characters are dull.  Yes, you could say exactly the same thing with the original.  It took time for them to grow on you and even then some were still irritating.

Animations are poor.  Back in 2007 the animations are completely amazing according to some people and yet an improvement with the graphics over that time has now seen a downturn.

There is too much to do.  Make a game bigger than the previous 3 what do you expect.

The story is dull.  This is Mass Effect.  It's a slow burner.  You'd think that having played the previous 3 people would realise this.  Just because you're not running and jumping around like a crazed soldier ala COD all the time does not mean it's dull and boring.

It ebbs and flows.  That's what Mass Effect is.

Haven't people got anything better to do than criticise flaws that we all know will be part of the game simply as it's Mass Effect?  

Bang on LiB, glad its not just me who thinks this, I just hope it doesn't impact the sales. Although every ME fan I know has already got it. 

10 hours ago, Beliall said:

Bang on LiB, glad its not just me who thinks this, I just hope it doesn't impact the sales. Although every ME fan I know has already got it. 

I just find it bizarre that many of the pre-release builds were being panned for the combat side of things and yet on the current early access release this looks more like one of the games strongest elements, certainly the most improved over the previous games.

I don't think they did a great job marketing the game early on, clearly the devs showing off the game set it to its lowest difficulty settings and the AI acted dumb as a result of that.  On many playthroughs I've sifted through on YouTube, combat looks fairly solid, certainly with some challenge to it.

The narrative is clearly going to expand many hours in - those loyalty missions finally persuaded me to put my order in. 

It seems that everybody wants to criticise these days rather than take it for what it is, a Mass Effect game in a slightly different setting.  What's there not to understand about that?  You know what the positives will be, you know what the negatives will be.  It's not really making any major leap forwards but is taking the best aspects of the previous 3 onboard, whilst keeping hold of some of those more annoying aspects of the game such as these slow-mo exploration of planets sequences to pick up 147 units of whatever in each system.

Didn't harm ME2 when reloading for fuel and testing for anomalies on planets - last time I checked it scored 94 on Metacritic and is one of the best games ever created imo.

This one I expect to score low 80s avg on Metacritic based on these initial critiques so far.

4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I just find it bizarre that many of the pre-release builds were being panned for the combat side of things and yet on the current early access release this looks more like one of the games strongest elements, certainly the most improved over the previous games.

I don't think they did a great job marketing the game early on, clearly the devs showing off the game set it to its lowest difficulty settings and the AI acted dumb as a result of that.  On many playthroughs I've sifted through on YouTube, combat looks fairly solid, certainly with some challenge to it.

The narrative is clearly going to expand many hours in - those loyalty missions finally persuaded me to put my order in. 

It seems that everybody wants to criticise these days rather than take it for what it is, a Mass Effect game in a slightly different setting.  What's there not to understand about that?  You know what the positives will be, you know what the negatives will be.  It's not really making any major leap forwards but is taking the best aspects of the previous 3 onboard, whilst keeping hold of some of those more annoying aspects of the game such as these slow-mo exploration of planets sequences to pick up 147 units of whatever in each system.

Didn't harm ME2 when reloading for fuel and testing for anomalies on planets - last time I checked it scored 94 on Metacritic and is one of the best games ever created imo.

This one I expect to score low 80s avg on Metacritic based on these initial critiques so far.

The combats really good. I bumped it up to Hardcore on my second start   seventh character build in the trial and The new cover system and fast movement around the battlefeld really comes into its own. Yes the animations could be better, but to complain about that is like thats like saying we should have beat seville 3-0 so it was a shit match.

My main complaint is i only have 3 hours left on my early trial, and then I cant play till the 22nd!

Waiting to form my own opinion of the game but seems everyone is pretty down on it - mostly people who haven't even played it but that's how these things go. Animations do look pretty iffy but mass effect has never been that good at facial animation. Cheesy dialogue is also not exactly a new thing- "I'm Commander Shephard and this is my favourite store on the citadel." Still excited to play it and am going to completely stay away from reviews until then

9 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

lol

How is the planet scanning system Beliall?

I didn't get that far lol   got to a certain point I thought was a good place to pause, and made 7 or 8 new toons and replayed the first section over and over lol . then the trial ran out

On 17/03/2017 at 19:20, Legend_in_blue said:

I think the people who have reviewed the game have probably done so for many hours, and probably played them all.

I'd probably wait until you've played it until declaring war on the games media, plus you know, probably about another 50 reviews to come in yet so score could improve if it is actually any good. 

The performance issues and talk of poor characters in reviews has me worried a little bit. Love the original games and been waiting for this for ages but sounds like i am going to be underwhelmed after spending lots of hours on HZD.

I say again, I really enjoyed my 10 hours. great to play ME again and cant wait for the full game to unlock. ignore the press, I dont know what they were expecting, but all I see is another great addition to the series

Well, I'm taking these reviews with a pinch of salt.

Gamespot's reviewing structure is flawed - I think back to Alien Isolation as a case in point.  That game only averaged 79 overall and it is one of the best games on PS4 in its genre.

Now ME:A may not be one of the best games in its genre but as games 1 through 3 were decent, ignoring 3s disastrous ending, I'll enjoy it all the same.

The combat is clearly an improvement, although one reviewer slates it, so all in all, I will just go with the "there's plenty of so-so fetch quests to do, animations are off, but gameplay has its moments" standpoint and take it from there.

16 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Well, I'm taking these reviews with a pinch of salt.

Gamespot's reviewing structure is flawed - I think back to Alien Isolation as a case in point.  That game only averaged 79 overall and it is one of the best games on PS4 in its genre.

Now ME:A may not be one of the best games in its genre but as games 1 through 3 were decent, ignoring 3s disastrous ending, I'll enjoy it all the same.

The combat is clearly an improvement, although one reviewer slates it, so all in all, I will just go with the "there's plenty of so-so fetch quests to do, animations are off, but gameplay has its moments" standpoint and take it from there.

Thanks to a VPN I'm on this early :) still enjoying it, story is interesting, planet scanning is ok.. if i hadn't heard of people complaining about it, i would have accepted it. its fine really, but a little annoying at having to fly to each planet to scan it, with an unskippable cutscene akin to No mans sky lol still, its pretty easy and quick to scan the actual planet. I might write up my own review in a few days time.

I personally love the mass effect series. Every single one has a flaw but we all play games to challenge and enjoy ourselves. I have found challenge and some enjoyment in all three so far. In short, I'll pick this up but not until it's a bit cheaper. Lots to finish off at the moment. 

Still havnt cancelled my pre order yet as I'm still looking forward to the story

But yeh, people have found the twitter account of the lead facial animator for the game and it turns out she's a cosplayer with zero experience working in computer games

Might explain a few things...

19 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Still havnt cancelled my pre order yet as I'm still looking forward to the story

But yeh, people have found the twitter account of the lead facial animator for the game and it turns out she's a cosplayer with zero experience working in computer games

Might explain a few things...

Has this been proven?

I mean, there's quite some saddos out there, chasing after lead facial animators on Social Media. And then others following that story. Too much stalking for me.

Might even be a namesake lol and all the effort and outrage was for nothing.