Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
howlinmadmurfdoc

Watches

why?

Is it for the time, as an investment or for fashion?

In reality watches are going the way of betamax as regards functionality.

I haven't worn a watch in years but own a couple of old Omegas.

Disagree with this mate. I've always worn a nice watch and do see them as a fashion accessory. A quick glance at your wrist and you know the time. BUT they have to be uncluttered. Can't be doing with watches that have tons of buttons, dials and that tell you the time in Australia whilst letting you know how deep you can dive.

Etc

• Like 2

Are they good?

I'd always imagined they'd be big and bulky and easily scratched, knocked, broken etc?

Barely notice it's on my wrist, very comfortable to wear and feels very well made. I wear mine to work everyday and haven't had as much as a scratch since I got it in May/June. Great piece of kit and looks beautiful.

Disagree with this mate. I've always worn a nice watch and do see them as a fashion accessory. A quick glance at your wrist and you know the time. BUT they have to be uncluttered. Can't be doing with watches that have tons of buttons, dials and that tell you the time in Australia whilst letting you know how deep you can dive.

Etc

Absolutely.  Simple and classic looking, adds to the overall look not distracts from it.

• 5 months later...

Don't be fooled by the brand of a watch or the price. In the end the thing that matters most is whether you like the look of it. I wouldn't spend too much on a watch if your going to wear it everyday. It is inevitable that it is going to break, get damaged  or lost sooner or later. I've been wearing watches since I've been 10 and almost all of them have ended with being broken, damage or lost. I generally ask for or buy watches at a price i'm ok with if I was to lose it or break it. 

Hahahaa that's one way of looking at it.

Yes but seriously I have never been one to spend a lot on things like watches  or been able to. I would not dare wear it out for fear of it being lost stolen or broke. I do not wear them now but when I did as long as it showed the correct time I was not bothered how much it cost.

Yes but seriously I have never been one to spend a lot on things like watches  or been able to. I would not dare wear it out for fear of it being lost stolen or broke. I do not wear them now but when I did as long as it showed the correct time I was not bothered how much it cost.

Fair enough, I won £500 last week from Cheltenham and wanted to buy something to mark the arrival of my son who was born last month. Had I not spent it on a watch I'd have no doubt have wasted it on rubbish :)

Just bought my first grown up watch. I've had a couple of Fossil ones which look nice but are bollocks for time keeping.

Got myself an all black Eco Drive which I like. I'm sure it wouldn't pass the purpleronnie test but I don't have four grand to blow on the Breitling that I really want.

http://slimages.macysassets.com/is/image/MCY/products/7/optimized/1123407_fpx.tif?01AD=3UMYPabwe_xdlJk99dSc9hFUIgXMlLWXNlY7AvMFAsYevuegIcsCLlw&01RI=8FE642FBC731D3C&01NA=

Just bought my first grown up watch. I've had a couple of Fossil ones which look nice but are bollocks for time keeping.

Got myself an all black Eco Drive which I like. I'm sure it wouldn't pass the purpleronnie test but I don't have four grand to blow on the Breitling that I really want.

http://slimages.macysassets.com/is/image/MCY/products/7/optimized/1123407_fpx.tif?01AD=3UMYPabwe_xdlJk99dSc9hFUIgXMlLWXNlY7AvMFAsYevuegIcsCLlw&01RI=8FE642FBC731D3C&01NA=

Nice watch !  This is also a black look watch that Mrs CF bought for me last year ...    I'm very pleased with it.       :)

post-23410-0-27523300-1458569079_thumb.j

I've had to have my Tag battery replaced and serviced and it's set me back £215

Or 71 pints of beer, as has become the currency on here!

On a serious note, owning an decent watch can itself be expensive. My watch isn't particularly expensive compared to many but repair and maintenance still cost £££

I ordered this Longines yesterday that my wife is treating me too for my birthday. Unfortunately it won't be here for a fortnight.  

17350486_1_640.png

I had to cancel the order for this in the end, they kept telling me it would come in a fortnight and it never did. I ended up buying another Longines while I was in Tenerife. A little bit more expensive but VAT there is only 7% and the exchange rate was good at the time.

I had to cancel the order for this in the end, they kept telling me it would come in a fortnight and it never did. I ended up buying another Longines while I was in Tenerife. A little bit more expensive but VAT there is only 7% and the exchange rate was good at the time.

Lets see it then !

Very tempted to spend a stupid amount of money I haven't got buying myself an Omega watch for my 30th.

If you buy a decent watch from the high street never pay the listed price, they can shift the price a fair bit.

Do it, they hold their value very well as well so it's not money for old rope. What one you thinking? I'd love a seamaster.

Do it, they hold their value very well as well so it's not money for old rope. What one you thinking? I'd love a seamaster.

My favourite watch and wear it every day ...   had it for about 20 years (?) and it never misses a beat, always spot on (chronograph more expensive but you have to keep winding and not as accurate).

Very comfortable strap and proper waterproof (can dive with it on) ...   been with me all over the world and still looks as good as the day I bought it.

post-23410-0-44248200-1458637572_thumb.j

• Like 1

I bought a Breitling in Tenerife beautiful thing,until after two days the second hand fell off,cost me £15 quid aswell.

• Like 2

I never found a watch that didn't make my wrist sore. I had one watch which I bought from a market in Spain. It was a fake Tag. I showed to someone I know once and he said it was wrong that I bought it. His father was a watchmaker. But it kept good time and looked OK. However I did take it somewhere to have a battery fitted and they refused to do it because it was an imitation. 

I am pretty sure it was a TAG. Couldn't remember until it was mentioned in an earlier post.

I use my phone now. I have nothing against people having expensive watches. If you have the cash then go for it. I would be worried about wearing it out in public. You could not show it off and if wearing a shirt and coat it will not be seen anyway.

I can afford it more than I could in the past. I had a lump sum from a pension a couple of years back but my pension just about covers my living costs. Any emergency and my bank balance would drop. As with the odd treat or so. 

Those watches do look nice though. I have ought a couple of pocket watches off the market. Not brilliant ut better for me. Maye I could get a decent one of them.