Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RonnieTodger

What music do you hate?

33 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I echo this sentiment as I grow older 

You know what, I'm going to have to agree.

I used to be bad - even on here my music posts were awful (most of you probably know) - but I think I'm more open to learning new stuff than I ever have been.

Edited by Fox92

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

You know what, I'm going to have to agree.

I used to be bad - even on here my music posts were awful (most of you probably know) - but I think I'm more open to learning new stuff than I ever have been.

I don't even think it's about learning about different types of music. I think it's just accepting that people like what they like and not being bothered about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

You had to go and say it, didn't you!

4 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Michael Buble?

Behave yourselves, you two. Who could hate the silky, smooth, dulcet tones and boyish charm of Mikey B? 

Edited by RoboFox

7 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I find it odd that you could hate any kind of music.

Eh, depends how you define hate in this context. I can't stand a lot of what I hear when I turn the radio on (Ed Sheeran 90% of the time), because it's just bland, middle of the road guff, catchy enough to stick in your head, not catchy enough to enjoy. Not got visceral hate for it, but if we're using hate to mean dislike, then it's more odd that you wouldn't hate anything.

• Like 1

Hating an entire genre of music is ridiculous - every genre out there has SOMETHING to offer.

It's just easier to be ignorant and dismissive than it is to go searching for the good stuff.

Even the stuff you dislike normally has some sort of link / history within a genre / style that you do like.

It's also a lot easier to like all kinds of music when you stop associating it with style / fashion / stereotypes, etc.  

• Like 1

Really don't have the energy to hate any type of music, what I do hate is the way the music industry plays to death certain genres and songs, and if something is successful  for one band you get a million similar artists playing sub par pastiches of the current flavour of the month until everyone is sick of it, killing off not only the career of the original but also the followers who if left to develop on their own would have found their own voice and been better artists for it.

I dislike every type of music or musician who has been artificially created and hyped to death in order to feed the need for dough by the music industry.

I dislike "wimpy" music - Coldplay springs to mind.

I dislike the rather bland music of today, I hate how "cheap" music has become, how you can substitute one "artist" for another.

I dislike music without true passion or emotion. You get so many bands who simply lack the drive and energy (and knowledge) to create something much more powerful and interesting.

I dislike music that fails to move me (but that's entirely subjective, of course).

I dislike music that smells of music producers, music that has been robbed of its soul and has been polished to no end.

I dislike most music with absolutely daft lyrics, songs that make no sense at all. And the ones that pretend to have a deeper meaning.

I understand, however, that you could probably go back ten, twenty, thirty years and ask people my age at the time and they'd probably come to the same conclusion.

It's a funny old cycle.

I am currently going back in time and enjoying the late 70ies/early 80ies, particularly the Punk/Post-Punk/New Wave era (before synthesizers became too dominant).

I am fascinated by the rawness, the energy, the joy, the guitar riffs, how dominant bass used to be, shorter songs.

On 27/10/2017 at 13:54, Samilktray said:

I don't even think it's about learning about different types of music. I think it's just accepting that people like what they like and not being bothered about it. 

Pretty much. Even as a Rap fan I tend to avoid the rap I dislike. Even in a relatively young genre like hip hop there's a big generational divide and old hip hop heads constantly moan about modern day hip hop. The Migos and Yatchy get so much backlash and hate but they have a strong audience. They're not my cup of tea, far from it, but people should just accept that people like it.

I don't like music by Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry etc but I'm clearly not their core target group. I can generally find songs from most genres that I can enjoy. 

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

I dislike most music with absolutely daft lyrics, songs that make no sense at all.

Would agree with you on all points, but this one?

I give you...

And most New Order songs...

And most Pixies songs...

And most My Bloody Valentine songs...

Too name a few.

• Like 1

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

Would agree with you on all points, but this one?

I give you...

And most New Order songs...

And most Pixies songs...

And most My Bloody Valentine songs...

Too name a few.

Oh, I concur with your choice of songs. That's why I said "most music" - there's always room for exceptions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I am currently going back in time and enjoying the late 70ies/early 80ies, particularly the Punk/Post-Punk/New Wave era (before synthesizers became too dominant).

I am fascinated by the rawness, the energy, the joy, the guitar riffs, how dominant bass used to be, shorter songs.

All music has something in it or should I say genre's

Reggae not really a big hit with me but........

Rap, another I could take or leave but.........

Ska, yet another but

Dodgy lyrics  say Hello

Country.........

Music is the thing that you can debate for hours but there's something in every type that will make you think wow, thats quite good

Me I will always have.......

• 7 months later...

Almost everything that is played on commercial radio stations these days. Boring, bland, emotionless and repetitious as fvck.

A program dictated by the big music production companies, pushing their artists at least once an hour.

The death of the radio DJ some fifteen, twenty years ago has added to the misery.

Most commercial radio hosts aren't funny, nor do they have a particularly interesting character. And good luck finding somebody above the age of 35.

The humor of 20- to 25-year olds evades me.

One guy in our office listens to the radio. Every. Single. Day.

The horror when you find out the rotation only changes slightly in the space of four to five months.

previously i think i sais in this thread... country and western and opera.... ive accepted a little c&w in my life... but opera fvcks me off even more, especially now that its become the advertisers best friend. 

yes even that  fvcking blind twat at the trophy presentation

On 09/11/2017 at 13:07, MC Prussian said:

I dislike every type of music or musician who has been artificially created and hyped to death in order to feed the need for dough by the music industry.

I dislike "wimpy" music - Coldplay springs to mind.

I dislike the rather bland music of today, I hate how "cheap" music has become, how you can substitute one "artist" for another.

I dislike music without true passion or emotion. You get so many bands who simply lack the drive and energy (and knowledge) to create something much more powerful and interesting.

I dislike music that fails to move me (but that's entirely subjective, of course).

I dislike music that smells of music producers, music that has been robbed of its soul and has been polished to no end.

I dislike most music with absolutely daft lyrics, songs that make no sense at all. And the ones that pretend to have a deeper meaning.

I understand, however, that you could probably go back ten, twenty, thirty years and ask people my age at the time and they'd probably come to the same conclusion.

It's a funny old cycle.

This one million times.

Music with no emotion is pointless to me.  My girlfriend laughs at me because whenever I truly love a band I always say "They MEAN it" when describing them.  It has become a bit of a joke but I believe it to be true.  They have to MEAN it.  It has to be fvcking raw and true and powerful and emotional.  I don't care whether it is simple or complex or angry or sad or fast or slow or heavy or quiet but it has to be a genuine attempt to convey an emotion through music.  As a great man once said......... "First let's hear somebody sing me a record That cries pure and true. No not those guitars. They're too noisy and crude. The kind that convinces refuses to leave, There's no need to turn it up. If it's pure I'll feel it from here Let's make this precious, (I think we probably will) Let's make this precious, (I think we probably will)".  X