Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grandad.

Glenn Hoddle.

How can someone be the head of English development who's never played the game?

You need someone who's played/managed at the highest level to be the head of English football, not Dan Ashworth, who has coincidentally employed his mate Aidy Boothroyd since taking this job. Aidy ****ing Boothroyd in charge of our Under 20s, you couldn't make it up. Bloke has one achievement of taking Watford up and failed every season after, no history of developing youth and is giving the job of 'coaching' our future senior players. lol

Problem is Hoddle stands by what he said and maintains the journalist who reported what was said has miss used his words, either way it was bloody daft.

For me I think we need someone over seeing the whole of English football, not the 'head coach' of the national team but someone who is the head of English football. Someone who sets out their vision and lays a structure for all our national sides to follow!

This is where I would like to see Hoddle take over. Him at the top, him in charge of our future football philosophy. Able to employ the head coach who he thinks is good enough for the job, not an FA yes man. Adopt a style of play that is used and followed from the senior side right through to the Under 17s, yeah you can change your tactics for a certain match but it would be good to see our sides all play I the same way.

Bit like a director of football? I've actually really warmed to the DoF role in the game.

I'd like him involved in some form as he's clearly got the brain, but I agree he's an odd man.

How can someone be the head of English development who's never played the game?

You need someone who's played/managed at the highest level to be the head of English football, not Dan Ashworth, who has coincidentally employed his mate Aidy Boothroyd since taking this job. Aidy ****ing Boothroyd in charge of our Under 20s, you couldn't make it up. Bloke has one achievement of taking Watford up and failed every season after, no history of developing youth and is giving the job of 'coaching' our future senior players. lol

You really have seen the light! lol

Yeah, from the videos I've seen of Hoddle he looked an unreal footballer.

England players under his management even said he was still the best footballer when he got involved in training sessions. lol

Definitely better than Rooney.

But as fruity as David Icke.

Shouldn't be let anywhere near u19s.

It is a little odd how so many people seem to have forget what he said when he was England manager. Clearly knowledgeable in football, but a very odd man.

He obviously did something terrible in a former life to come back as Glenn Hoddle.

He's a good talker and that's why he's in the media.

He's proven that he's better at that than he is on the training pitch and that's why he's not "in the game".

Besides, he's a bit of a dinosaur and England need to move on. That includes Roy.

He's proven that he's better at that than he is on the training pitch and that's why he's not "in the game".

Besides, he's a bit of a dinosaur and England need to move on. That includes Roy.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

He's had three management jobs since the turn of the century and only one coaching job in the last decade. He's also very much a traditionalist who doesn't seem to be open to new ideas.

Get someone young and talented who isn't also a nutter and build the team up around him. We'll never progress by appointing managers looking for a payday after their club manageent careers dwindle.

He's had three management jobs since the turn of the century and only one coaching job in the last decade. He's also very much a traditionalist who doesn't seem to be open to new ideas.

Get someone young and talented who isn't also a nutter and build the team up around him. We'll never progress by appointing managers looking for a payday after their club manageent careers dwindle.

The bit about him being a traditionalist is absolute nonsense. I'm only going to assume you've seen him in the ex England category of people like Venables and assumed that he's very much stuck in the 90's.

He might be a lot of things but not a dinosaur. He's quite an innovator. I guarantee we would play better football under him than Hodgson.

The bit about him being a traditionalist is absolute nonsense. I'm only going to assume you've seen him in the ex England category of people like Venables and assumed that he's very much stuck in the 90's.

He might be a lot of things but not a dinosaur. He's quite an innovator. I guarantee we would play better football under him than Hodgson.

any clown would have us playing better football than Hodgson tbh

What does playing "good football" have to do with him not being a traditionalist/dinosaur?

Of course he'd like to play "good football", that's what he did when he played and how he coaches in his academy. Unfortunately, "good football" and actually winning games of football are two completely different things, especially in Hoddle's case.

He's a fancy bloke who talks nicely on the tele and he was once one of the world's best. He's definitely not someone who I think could progress the England side over the next 10 years.

any clown would have us playing better football than Hodgson tbh

I did think that as soon as I posted it lol not much of an achievement.

What does playing "good football" have to do with him not being a traditionalist/dinosaur?

Of course he'd like to play "good football", that's what he did when he played and how he coaches in his academy. Unfortunately, "good football" and actually winning games of football are two completely different things, especially in Hoddle's case.

He's a fancy bloke who talks nicely on the tele and he was once one of the world's best. He's definitely not someone who I think could progress the England side over the next 10 years.

Because I'd have associated traditionalist and dinosaur with someone more like Roy Hodgson, someone who plays dour, cautious football. Someone likely to stick to 4-4-2, someone who favours players "putting in a shift" over having technical quality, someone who favours players who "win headers" rather than create chances etc...

That isn't Glenn Hoddle. Hoddle's got a fair bit about him. I agree that he'd not necessarily get the results as there's more to management than just picking a team and tactics, but he's got a good footballing brain. Could you ever imagine Hodgson setting up anything like this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Hoddle_Academy

I think the best way our Country could utilise Glen Hoddle is to get him working with Englands elite kids on their technique. For me he was one of the most technically gifted players we've ever had - a genius. I think he's wasted in the media and I find him quite patronising as a co-commentator (because he was so much better than most or the players today and he gets frustrated at how shite they are compared to him). I remember reading how he used to 'show off' on the training pitch as England Manager because he was more skilful than anyone in the team. Love him or hate him as a bloke, he was one of the most cultured, elegant and brilliant footballers I've ever had the pleasure of watching 'live'.

Hoddle is revered as some sort of football genius, if he was as good as people think he'd be in a job.

He's an alright pundit but still talks bollocks on occasion, his pre tournament world cup team had Gerrard and Lampard in it together.

Hoddle is revered as some sort of football genius, if he was as good as people think he'd be in a job.

He was a genius at playing football, but maybe not a genius as a Manager. We all know there are dozens of examples of great players who didn't become great Managers.

For me he's best utilised a coach and should should be coaching the best English kids on their techincal ability.

I guess you haven't read extracts from Shearer's, Scholes's, Beckham's and Owen's autobiographies where they quote Hoddle as one of the best managers they played under, Scholes and Beckham obviously meant Internationally but Owen and Shearer said overall. That is some statement to make, others probably said more as well.

His training sessions were technical and I don't know how old you are but I would go back and look at how England played under Hoddle, probably the best England have played the game in my lifetime. Brought through Scholes, Beckham, Owen and Ferdinand, Neville excelled along with Sol Campbell.

Dinosaur? This is where you have made yourself look stupider than you usually do, the man changed the style of football in Britain in the early 90s, you won't understand what I mean but go and have a look at Swindon in their promotion push and Chelsea before he took the England job at the young age he did.

He's not in the game now no, but that is purely down to the ending he had at England. For how good he was before hi stupid comment, no club wanted to touch Hoddle, he would of been England manager for years after 99 and that is fact and if he had left England by mutual consent or another footballing reason, he certainly wouldn't of left England and gone to Southampton, Spurs or Wolves, how poor a side they were in them years.

So I suggest you don't reply to this, take in what I have said and do a bit of research before posting absolute drivel just to reply in a negative way to what I have said. Dickhead.

Archived