Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

Might be a bit of value in UKIP actually, Corbyn has rallied in Stoke and according to Dan Hodges the local branch has been taken over so a Corbyn candidate is possible.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/01/we-should-all-be-proud-lunatics-the-day-stoke-went-wild-for-jere/

The man standing on top of the fire engine was growing mildly irate. If Jeremy Corbyn’s policies were “lunatic ideas”, he cried, then “we should all put our hands up, and say we’re all lunatics!”

“Hooray!” shouted the crowd in the street, putting their hands up.

“We should all be proud lunatics!” he cried.

“Hooray!” shouted everyone again.

Jeremy Corbyn’s latest leadership rally took place at lunchtime in Stoke city centre. Like all his rallies, it drew a crowd that was both large and adulatory. The air bobbed with pro-Corbyn balloons. The decommissioned fire engine employed as a stage was plastered with supportive placards (“Jeremy Corbyn: Winning Values”, “Coal Not Dole: The Miners’ Strike 30 Years On”). Two young men performed Don’t Stop Believing by Journey on the trumpet.

They even had a "kick out the Blarites" banner lol

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The lib dems got 21% in 2010, if they have been forgiven for cosying up to the tories, they could be dark horses for this.

They might well have been forgiven for cosying up to the Tories, but their overtly anti-Brexit stance could cost them dear in a seat that voted heavily for Brexit - the opposite scenario to Richmond.

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

They might well have been forgiven for cosying up to the Tories, but their overtly anti-Brexit stance could cost them dear in a seat that voted heavily for Brexit - the opposite scenario to Richmond.

Very true, it will be a tough one to call.

Do you know what the voting percentages was on brexit, Alf?

16 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

damn Matt loves a bi-election. Made his day, that.

A late night and an extended This Week, it doesn't get much better. 

I might even get the train to Stoke to soak up the atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

A late night and an extended This Week, it doesn't get much better. 

I might even get the train to Stoke to soak up the atmosphere. 

I don't think you have enough Corbyn loyalty points to get a ticket.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

I don't think you have enough Corbyn loyalty points to get a ticket.

It's at junctures like this, I wish I had the time and photoshop skills to mock up the 'gold lift' picture with Trump and Farage and substitute Farage's head for @MattP's wearing a 'Let's Make Stoke Great Again' baseball cap.

If somebody could sort that out it'll make me laugh when I get back from the pub later.

I actually believe you should run Matt as I'm certain there's no-one in Stoke that will actually take as much interest as you will in the process.

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

It's at junctures like this, I wish I had the time and photoshop skills to mock up the 'gold lift' picture with Trump and Farage and substitute Farage's head for @MattP's wearing a 'Let's Make Stoke Great Again' baseball cap.

If somebody could sort that out it'll make me laugh when I get back from the pub later.

I actually believe you should run Matt as I'm certain there's no-one in Stoke that will actually take as much interest as you will in the process.

I couldn't ever stand a political party, towing a line of greasy pole climbers isn't something I could ever do, I'd be sacked within weeks even if elected.

I do actually own one of those caps and there is a picture of me on Facebook in one lol

Just now, MattP said:

I couldn't ever stand a political party, towing a line of greasy pole climbers isn't something I could ever do, I'd be sacked within weeks even if elected.

I do actually own one of those caps and there is a picture of me on Facebook in one lol

lol

MattP quoted MattP in MattP's 'Make Stoke Great Again By-election Thread' is a notification you need to screenshot for us later this week.

5 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

WHY Has NoboDY DoNe ThiS?

I'm back from the pub and extremely disappointed at the lack of creativity.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

It's not really "refusing to acknowledge" them though, is it?

In fact the article's about the council directly engaging with the homeless.  The problem this article raises isn't that the poor and homeless are being ignored, it's that they're being relocated out of the area.

51 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's not really "refusing to acknowledge" them though, is it?

In fact the article's about the council directly engaging with the homeless.  The problem this article raises isn't that the poor and homeless are being ignored, it's that they're being relocated out of the area.

But... but... they are being sent to Coventry..

I'll get me coat.

After winning last week, Corbyn off the pace again today at PMQ's, unless the issue of the day is the Tories cocking up the NHS he's so woefully out of his depth it's painful to watch, he also still doesn't seem to understand the difference between memebership of the single market and having access to it.

He still can't give us what the position of Labour is. We know the SNP and the Lib Dems would put membership of the single market over our ability to do our own trade deals and control our borders, we know the Tories and UKIP put the latter over membership of the single market, he's still trying to tell us he wants both.

They really do need to actually decide where they stand and tell us, they can't keep trying to play both sides of the fence, it's too easy to see through.

On 1/13/2017 at 12:21, MattP said:

Bookies have it as we predict really.

Labour 4/7

UKIP 3/1

Liberals 10/1

Tories 14/1

They think the Tories come fourth, no reason for any Conservative in this seat to be voting for them, their vote may collapse in the same way Labour's did in Richmond Park, expect this to be as tactical as that one.

Paul Nuttell selected as the UKIP candidate for Stoke. Two horse race.

Labour still faves but now only 5/6, UKIP into 7/4.

I have sneaky feeling he could win this, it would so follow the shock after shock era of politics as well that he grabs the first seat he contests as leader after Farage fails in seven attempts.

After his unpaid leave as Corbyn's director of communications over the last 16 months, Seumas Milne has now taken on the job permanently, leaving the Guardian.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/19/seumas-milne-quits-guardian-for-permanent-labour-position?client=ms-android-hms-tef-gb

You do have to wonder how bad a job he would actually have to have done for him not to get it.....

Martin McGuinness retires from politics due to serious ill-health. I thought he seemed seriously ill when he spoke about the Stormont collapse last week.

http://news.sky.com/story/martin-mcguinness-announces-retirement-from-politics-10734863

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38593596

Whatever we might think of his past involvement in the IRA, I don't think this is good news.

He's been a force for stability at the top of Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland for a long time now - and this is a time when we need Sinn Fein to be under stable, credible leadership, what with the Stormont collapse & Brexit border issue.

I'm not sure who's likely to take the lead in the North, as Gerry Adams has been concentrating on the party's activities in the Republic for a good few years....

Yep, I don't like McGuinness for obvious reasons but this couldn't come at a worse time.

The elections in Northern Ireland coming up are going to need some serious diplomacy and reconciliation in the aftermath. 

I used to enjoy reading and contributing to the politics discussion on here but not been around much lately. Glad to see the usual suspects are still going strong, however. It's great to see discussion that isn't solely coming from some academics, educated fantasist students and most of the crap in the media. Maybe I should frequent this place more often but I find the uni bubble has sapped all desire for political discussion.

Archived