Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

1 minute ago, lcfcben76 said:

Is anyone else starting to get pissed off with Gary Lineker on twitter with his political views? Talks some shite sometimes

Nope. He's free to air his opinions just like you are on here.

28 minutes ago, lcfcben76 said:

Is anyone else starting to get pissed off with Gary Lineker on twitter with his political views? Talks some shite sometimes

He annoys me with even football views, let alone at wanting to look at what he thinks politically.

26 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

The end of Corybn is nigh... surely?

I think Clive Lewis is the only real alternative, I'm sure he would gain the middle ground swing voters back, but can he be trusted as a left wing alternative, he's been pretty loyal to Corbyn but I'm not 100% convinced he can be trusted as of yet.

Last night was a disastrous result in my opinion, but at present without a general election looming, I'm happy to keep on pushing policy rather than personality, a few more results like this and we will end up with another leadership contest, but I'd rather see Corbyn really solidify the party as a left wing alternative than see him go and the party return to the centre right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39151250

With the slippery Sturgeon seemingly set on bi-annual referendums til she gets her way, how about an English referendum for a hasty divorce?  I actually favour the union but Sturgeon's like a nagging wife in blinkers and one thing's for sure, we'll never get any peace while she's in the house.  

From what I have heard from a Scottish friend the NHS is run a lot better in Scotland. People are treated on time and there are no cuts or it being sold off to private companies.

Eff off back there I hear you say. If it gets much worse down here which seeing how it is at the moment, it is likely that he will.

Does anyone know about this 

https://www.facebook.com/events/1320323681361628/ 

I wonder how many seconds coverage the BBC and Mail with give it? No doubt if somebody throws a paper plane it will be the headlines as a full blown riot from people with an agenda.

I have the dubious pleasure of crossing swords with the so called 'Cyber Nats' elsewhere on line. I have never come across a more aggressive and delusional bunch.

The Scottish NHS have had a tough winter as well, in certain key indicators (but not all) it has done slightly better. Not overwhelmingly so, but better.

The political debate North of the Border is simply brutal. Westminster, to some, is brutalised as the epicentre of all evil. Being an English Tory (like me) makes you public enemy number 1. Did I have fun? Absolutely!

Oh and on the Corbyn thing is just gets worse. There were 4 local government byelections last night, Labour lost them all and lost vote share in all 4, the average vote share lost was 10%. They are sleepwalking to catastrophe

58 minutes ago, IrememberBobHazell said:

I have the dubious pleasure of crossing swords with the so called 'Cyber Nats' elsewhere on line. I have never come across a more aggressive and delusional bunch.

The Scottish NHS have had a tough winter as well, in certain key indicators (but not all) it has done slightly better. Not overwhelmingly so, but better.

The political debate North of the Border is simply brutal. Westminster, to some, is brutalised as the epicentre of all evil. Being an English Tory (like me) makes you public enemy number 1. Did I have fun? Absolutely!

Oh and on the Corbyn thing is just gets worse. There were 4 local government byelections last night, Labour lost them all and lost vote share in all 4, the average vote share lost was 10%. They are sleepwalking to catastrophe

Sounds a lot like my experience as someone who tried explaining the benefits of the EU to members of the English public.

Labour has lost 26,000 party members since July, sources have told the BBC.

The number of those who cancelled their direct debit payments or let their subscription lapse represents 4.6% of the party's total 528,000 membership.

Although the majority gave no reason for quitting, party sources said those who did mentioned the party's stance on the EU, which is to back Brexit.

Despite the fall, Labour's total membership is more than 300,000 higher than it was at the 2015 election.

The party enjoyed a surge in membership in the wake of the EU referendum and in the run-up to last year's leadership contest, when Jeremy Corbyn beat Owen Smith.

More than 500,000 people voted in that leadership ballot - 285,000 were party members and the rest registered supporters or union affiliates.

The latest membership figures, first reported by the Times, relate to the period between the leadership contest being called in July 2016 and January this year.

The newspaper said the number of those leaving had accelerated since December and the total figure could actually be higher than 26,000 as those who choose not to renew their subscription take longer to show up on the party's system.

The BBC's political correspondent Iain Watson said sources close to Labour's leadership said many of those who had left in the past six months joined to support Mr Corbyn but found they were denied a vote when the party's ruling national executive retrospectively imposed a qualifying period for membership.

The Labour leader has pointed to the sharp rise in membership since he first ran for the leadership in 2015 as a sign of the strength of the party at grass-roots level and a vindication of the direction he is taking it in.

But divisions over Brexit - with a minority of MPs opposing EU withdrawal - and the loss of the Copeland by-election have raised fresh questions about his leadership. Critics claim Labour is on course for a heavy defeat at the next election due in 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

Lords expenses probe dropped over 'press storm' fears

13 March 2017

From the sectionUK Politics

Members of the House of Lords who claim perks without doing any work will not be "named and shamed", BBC Two's Meet the Lords reveals.

Lords speaker Baroness D'Souza spent months investigating peers who collected their £300 daily allowance but did not take part in debates.

One member was alleged to have kept a taxi running outside while signing in to collect the allowance.

But Baroness D'Souza shelved the probe to avoid a "press storm".

She told the programme: "What I wanted to find out in the research that I did a few months ago was who was attending and what they were claiming and even though it is very difficult to quantify there are some who make no contribution whatsoever but who nevertheless claim the full amount.

"This is not a daycare centre or a club, it is actually a legislative house and I do firmly believe that the people who attend ought to be able to be in a position to contribute."

She added: "I abandoned this research because it would have involved a degree of naming and shaming which I certainly didn't want to do.

"But also that would in turn have provoked some kind of sort of a press storm which clearly, you know, I didn't wish to - to do. But I mean the reputation of the House is not that great anyhow."

The peer also says the reputation of the Lords has "probably never been lower".

Well this wont enhance it's reputation?

Find out who they are strip them of the title and don't replace them we have far to many members anyway then you might get some respect back.

Archived