Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

Can someone correct me if i'm wrong with regards to the situation with the scots...

But am i right in saying that, 

- The Scots voted in the SNP with huge numbers, massively, on the back of promises to put Scotland first and to hold a referendum.

- The same Scots who voted in such a majority, decided to vote against the party they put into power by voting to 'remain'.

- Now, they want another one?

Now I understand things have changed with regards to us leaving the E.U....

But did the Scots basically vote to claim that they wanted to have a vote, and then decide to vote against their initial vote, and now want another vote?

:nigel:

7 minutes ago, Grewks said:

Can someone correct me if i'm wrong with regards to the situation with the scots...

But am i right in saying that, 

- The Scots voted in the SNP with huge numbers, massively, on the back of promises to put Scotland first and to hold a referendum.

- The same Scots who voted in such a majority, decided to vote against the party they put into power by voting to 'remain'.

- Now, they want another one?

Now I understand things have changed with regards to us leaving the E.U....

But did the Scots basically vote to claim that they wanted to have a vote, and then decide to vote against their initial vote, and now want another vote?

:nigel:

I think you are confusing an electoral landside with 'huge numbers'.

It's a product of the FPTP electoral system.

1 minute ago, Grewks said:

Are they not still huge numbers though? :ph34r:

I guess it depends how you define it.

As a percentage of the total electorate, possibly not (tbf, I haven't seen any figures, but as an example the UK government was elected by circa 20% of the electorate, so I think it's a reasonable assumption).

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

As a percentage of the total electorate, possibly not (tbf, I haven't seen any figures, but as an example the UK government was elected by circa 20% of the electorate, so I think it's a reasonable assumption).

But am i right in saying that the Scots basically voted in their election to claim the right to have a referendum vote, and then decided to use that referendum vote to almost 'cancel out' their initial vote and go against the party they elected with their vote in the first place? And now want another vote?

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Also a vote for SNP doesn't necessarily mean you want independence, they might just represent Scotland better down here and not sell them short like other parties.

But am i right in saying that the Scots basically voted in their election to claim the right to have a referendum vote, and then decided to use that referendum vote to almost 'cancel out' their initial vote and go against the party they elected with their vote in the first place? And now want another vote?

The last referendum was before the GE, so no that's not quite correct.

fair enough.

What is closer to truth is, labour were the biggest party up north but by campaigning against independence, they lost a lot of their core support and the SNP lapped it up. Now they are pushing their own agenda to deflect from their inadequate ability to run the country and to remain relevant. IMO

Just now, Strokes said:

You won't find me arguing against it, ask @Carl the Llama, he might give you the bite you after. ;)

I'm not after a bite haha...i'm just asking if i'm seeing it as it looks from the outside.

The SNP want to leave the UK to get Scotland its democracy back....but then they want to join the most undemocratic bureaucracy around.

Sounds a bit like leaving your mrs because she's cheated on you....and then going back to an ex you previously left, also for cheating on you.

1 hour ago, Grewks said:

I'm not after a bite haha...i'm just asking if i'm seeing it as it looks from the outside.

The SNP want to leave the UK to get Scotland its democracy back....but then they want to join the most undemocratic bureaucracy around.

Sounds a bit like leaving your mrs because she's cheated on you....and then going back to an ex you previously left, also for cheating on you.

That's as far as you have to think. They knew before that leaving the UK meant leaving EU and didn't seem to really care, now it just seems like a convenient excuse for a second shot at it whilst using the EU to get more people on board. 

If they leave the UK and struggle getting back into the EU would the SNP give a damn? 

Archived