Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

He has peaked as a politician and probably wants a new challenge.

Some were saying on the Daily Politics that it might be part of a long term plan to become  Mayor of London.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Some were saying on the Daily Politics that it might be part of a long time plan to become  Mayor of London.

Hmmm, yeah that's a fair shout. It definitely adds a bit of logic to it. I'm not sure he has the right credentials to win in London, no charisma, no poor me back story but I'm sure he thinks he has a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Farage reckons he joined UKIP to undermine them. Who knows?

Who knows? But it seems more likely to me that he joined for genuine reasons that have now ceased to apply - though he may be timing his departure to undermine UKIP, given their recent chaos and disappointment in Stoke.

Judging from interviews, Carswell is a Eurosceptic and a right-wing libertarian. Those were 2 good reasons to join UKIP a couple of years ago.

But now the Brexit referendum has been won, removing one of his motives, and UKIP is becoming less libertarian and more nationalist-populist, focusing on immigration, which has never been Carswell's angle.

I also suspect he's enjoying winding Farage up, knowing that he has a short fuse. Did you see that tweet that he did, signing off "Knight night" after Farage had supposedly missed out on a knighthood? And now he's saying 'thank UKIP" and talking about his "amicable" departure - in the full knowledge that half the leadership loathed him and wanted to expel him. lol

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

Farage reckons he joined UKIP to undermine them. Who knows?

Bit rich from Farage, he loved the publicity of the defection at the time - and the party had clearly been courting Tory MP's at that time. 

However, I think Farage's ego was put out of joint by the fact that Carswell was UKIP's only MP and with that got reasonable airtime. 

it was also notable that Farage and Carswell fell out early on over short money and putting those funds into the party. 

• 2 weeks later...

LABOUR MISLEADS US THEN SHAFTS US

------------------------------------------------------

You couldn't make it up.

First Labour gets us to go out and buy diesel cars/vans etc because they are better for the environment.

Now the Labour mayor of London Sadiq Khan tells me I won't be able to take my vehicle into my capital city without paying his administration £12.50 for the mistake of listening to his party's "mistaken" advice about pollution and that on top of the £12.50 charge already being made.

In other words Labour is pricing me out of visiting my capital city, because his political friends have ballsed up.

In any just world, Labour's indefensible excuses for politicians and advisers should be paying us back every penny of the money we spent on diesels not just because they were wrong but because they've put our health at risk in being wrong and other people's health too as a result of supposed responsible decisions being made as a result of  mistaken Labour advice.

But no, we pay the bill. Not just for driving into our capital. But for the vehicles we bought as a consequence and the loss we'll make when we sell them.

Exactly why do politicians and their advisers seem to escape having to take responsibility for the consequences of misadvising people while financial services companies don't?    

As I've said before the greatest service the Labour party could do for our country is to wind itself up and let better people form a true party of the working British people, Maybe then we'd be able to visit our own capital (and other cities are likely to follow) as we used to - any day, any time and quite free of charge.    

http://news.sky.com/story/diesel-drivers-face-16324-charge-to-enter-london-10824455

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3256009/Labour-mistake-promoting-killer-diesel-cars-former-science-minister.html

Another question I'd ask is how and why did such indefensible advice ever get given?  

All this Easter stuff May's got involved in looks rather silly. Interesting theory on it from the New Statesman...

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/04/why-did-theresa-may-scramble-comment-national-trust-easter-egg-row

Seems like as a nation we're just going to pander to all the people who actually believe we're banned from celebrating St George's Day etc now...

15 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

All this Easter stuff May's got involved in looks rather silly. Interesting theory on it from the New Statesman...

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/04/why-did-theresa-may-scramble-comment-national-trust-easter-egg-row

Seems like as a nation we're just going to pander to all the people who actually believe we're banned from celebrating St George's Day etc now...

I'd have thought May would have enough to do with the Brexit negotiations without concerning herself with Easter Eggs for any reason. But if she thought she was flying the flag for Christianity I suppose it's in keeping with her known beliefs for all that it's another example of the pettiness and sensitivity about so many things today. I'd also wonder about who's holding the reins in her press office. Because someone should be checking every release or vetting every pre-conceived comment for accuracy and potential own goals.      

34 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I've been raising an eyebrow for weeks at oddballs on social media talking about chocolate manufacturers and Easter.

Two things spring to mind:

1. I've currently got a cadbury egg next to me, it clearly says Easter on the box (as does their advertising campaign.)

2. Even if they did strip away all mention of Easter, why would anyone think it was out of respect or fear of any faith?

Cadbury are a for-profit multinational, owned by a bigger for-profit multinational. They start selling their billions of chocolate eggs about a week after Christmas and try to flog them as far in to the summer as they can.

If they've downplayed the Easter connection on any level it's for no reason other than to sell them to as many people as they can, for as long as they can.

A long dead Quaker businessman that built social housing for his employees is really the last thing on Irene Rosenfeld's mind (as is pandering to a fictional group of allegedly offended conservative Muslims.)

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

I'd have thought May would have enough to do with the Brexit negotiations without concerning herself with Easter Eggs for any reason. But if she thought she was flying the flag for Christianity I suppose it's in keeping with her known beliefs for all that it's another example of the pettiness and sensitivity about so many things today. I'd also wonder about who's holding the reins in her press office. Because someone such be checking every release for accuracy and potential own goals.      

Flying the flag for something you believe in is fine as long as, like you say, i'ts based on factual accuracy. Her top press spokesman is a guy called James Slack (ex-Daily Mail I think?), baffling this kind of claim wouldn't be checked - especially given the kind of genuine issues she's declined to comment on in the past.

Has anyone noticed that while all the arguments over Brexit has been going on the Government has  brought in policies that mean cuts to disabled people, changes to family credit and other changes to vulnerable people income.

No doubt it has been relegated to the inner pages of the mainstream papers consisting of one column. :)

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Flying the flag for something you believe in is fine as long as, like you say, i'ts based on factual accuracy. Her top press spokesman is a guy called James Slack (ex-Daily Mail I think?), baffling this kind of claim wouldn't be checked - especially given the kind of genuine issues she's declined to comment on in the past.

Baffling indeed. Is it me or is the whole political world suddenly seeming amateurish?  Corbyn, Trump, Johnson, all sorts of Europeans, Khan acting with what amounts to hypocrisy as far as his party's concerned, though action is unquestionably needed and people to take responsibility for actions,  the barely believeable in-fighting among Labour generally, the pathetic internal squables of UKIP and more from any direction you care to turn.   

Who's banned from celebrating ST Georges Day? Are we going get another thread about it like we did last year where someone complained about it but never thought about seaching for the activities going on or organising something themselves.

1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

Think it went on 3 or 4 pages and nothing posted was English enough for the OP.

Yeah, and his idea for celebrating it was fvcking horrific as I recall. Involved Morris dancing in Abbey Park.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

That sounds well gay.

It was...

On 4/23/2016 at 20:00, digitalalba said:

I would hire Abbey park for the entire weekend and put on a huge stage for amature and professional folk singers/bands,

I would have morris dancers and for people to learn it in a fun way.

I would invite the Steadfast trust to promote English culture to all especially the young who miss out at school.

I would have a tent with a big screen for the city match on sunday and footage of English culture.

Their would be a drinks tent with English wines, beers and food on sale.

I would invite some of those companies who act out old battles, including a Robin Hood show and a man on horse duel they do at Warwick Castle.

I would invite schools to create a play based on English culture to show people. A Shakespeare play would be cool.

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

It was...

This was brilliant, basically just an expanded country fayre, the sort of thing that only people 60+ would attend. He just couldn't get his head around the idea that very, very few people would find it interesting yet alone pull themselves over to Abbey Park to participate lol 

3 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Has anyone noticed that while all the arguments over Brexit has been going on the Government has  brought in policies that mean cuts to disabled people, changes to family credit and other changes to vulnerable people income.

No doubt it has been relegated to the inner pages of the mainstream papers consisting of one column. :)

Given that Brexit discussions will involve lots of people for a lot of time when and how would you suggest any Government in the current situation might reveal or introduce benefit changes.

Front page, back page, on the inside or by leaflet, you seem to find the changes quickly enough. And that's despite it being a limited market in terms of news value. News carries fast enough where benefits are concerned with leaflets everywhere in appropriate places. 

Do I really want to buy a national newspaper to learn that there's been a two per cent reduction is some obscure benefit? No. The proper place for that is in the doctor's surgery, on the care home notice board or even the internet.

Archived