Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Your Music: Post It Here

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not everybodies cup of tea as i'm not a traditional 'band' but I used to produce a fair bit of electronic music. Unfortunately I don't really have much free time to do it any more

Edited by MrSpaM
  • Like 2

On 19/06/2018 at 13:31, Libertine said:

What do people use for recording?

Hoping to get a digital multitrack recorder for my birthday. Tried a USB guitar connection previously but my laptop is too slow. ;)

I use Logic predominantly with a USB audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6). It's got ample ins/outs, allows me to use my active monitors the latency is more than good enough for what I use it for.

ProTools is arguably better for recording, and great for large scale studios but it's rubbish for bedroom composition IMO.

Having said that, I don't do that much recording these days, instead relying on soft synths. 

On 19/06/2018 at 13:31, Libertine said:

What do people use for recording?

Hoping to get a digital multitrack recorder for my birthday. Tried a USB guitar connection previously but my laptop is too slow. ;)

you shouldn't need a digital multitrack recorder, really. 

as Robo said above, you can use a external soundcard interface such as the Focusrite Scarlett series (I have the 2i4) and plug your guitar into that to record straight into a DAW like Ableton or Logic.

you can then use VST plug-ins to add every other sound imaginable, synths, pianos, drums, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Libertine said:

Well I ended up getting a Boss Micro BR-80. Liking it so far.

This is my first rough attempt at a song. I've always been pretty whack at mixing etc, but I'm relatively happy with it.

Guitar and Bass both sounding decent - bass has a nice warmth and fullness to it.

The drums are really lightweight though - the snare is weak in the mix, no punch to it. Hi-hats & crash are very clean, could perhaps do with some additional drive / distortion to dirty them up a bit.

12 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Really like that, man.

I'm a huge fan of synthwave / darksynth and anything 80s retro... Been working on an EP for the last year or so, on and off. Some horror and sci-fi inspired synthwave / house.

Heavier than your stuff though, a lot of fat saw waves and over-compressed four-on-the-floor beats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

Really like that, man.

I'm a huge fan of synthwave / darksynth and anything 80s retro... Been working on an EP for the last year or so, on and off. Some horror and sci-fi inspired synthwave / house.

Heavier than your stuff though, a lot of fat saw waves and over-compressed four-on-the-floor beats.

Thanks so much man, appreciate it.

I'm guessing you're going for a heavier sound like Carpenter Brut? Love his stuff.

Please tell me you've heard of George Clanton / Esprit? If not, check out 100% Electronic by George Clanton - such a great LP.

Share up some stuff! (Unless I've missed it!)

16 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Thanks so much man, appreciate it.

I'm guessing you're going for a heavier sound like Carpenter Brut? Love his stuff.

Please tell me you've heard of George Clanton / Esprit? If not, check out 100% Electronic by George Clanton - such a great LP.

Share up some stuff! (Unless I've missed it!)

Yep, that's it exactly. (Seen him... Them... live twice now. F**king awesome.)

Influenced heavily by Carpenter Brut, Pertubator, Dance with The Dead, Magic Sword, Pylot and Waveshaper and a lot of rock bands I used to listen to, as well as a lot of 80s / 90s computer games. Even some of the more dreamy stuff like Droid Bishop and Miami Nights 1984.

I've just got a new MacBook, so I need to get around to installing all of my plugins again... It's a daunting task and I'm struggling to be arsed to do it. I haven't let anyone listen to any of it yet, and the first track is pretty much finished, mixed but unmastered.

I was going to sit on it all until I was happy with five tracks or so (I never am!), but I guess it couldn't hurt to get some objective feedback. I'll let you know when it's hosted somewhere.

Just added that album to my Apple Music, will give it a listen! 

Edited by RoboFox

On 08/07/2018 at 00:20, lifted*fox said:

Guitar and Bass both sounding decent - bass has a nice warmth and fullness to it.

The drums are really lightweight though - the snare is weak in the mix, no punch to it. Hi-hats & crash are very clean, could perhaps do with some additional drive / distortion to dirty them up a bit.

Cheers bud. There wasn't an option to put FX or EQ on the drums on the system, but you can upload all the tracks individually to PC so can always edit on there.

1 minute ago, Libertine said:

Cheers bud. There wasn't an option to put FX or EQ on the drums on the system, but you can upload all the tracks individually to PC so can always edit on there. 

are the drums recorded live? or have you used a VST to write the drums? 

I'm not sure of what your setup currently is so can't comment on the best route to get the drums sounding better. 

what are you running?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/10/2018 at 19:01, lifted*fox said:

little clip of summit I worked on earlier today

Nice, as always man. 

Someone recently asked me to remix their track (which was a right mess) so I've used it as a reason to get my sh*t in order and get back on the creative horse. Managed to get a load of my old plugins working again and invested in some new ones (then seemingly blew the bass driver one of my Genelecs :frusty:)

What DAW do you use? 

5 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Nice, as always man. 

Someone recently asked me to remix their track (which was a right mess) so I've used it as a reason to get my sh*t in order and get back on the creative horse. Managed to get a load of my old plugins working again and invested in some new ones (then seemingly blew the bass driver one of my Genelecs :frusty:)

What DAW do you use? 

Thank you dude, much appreciated! :)

I use Ableton Live 10 Suite - I finally bit the bullet and paid for it last year after using a pirated version for a while to see how I got on with it. I really like the layout and it all seems very easy to work out with a bit of time and patience. 

I also use the Push 2 controller for programming drum patterns and playing in melodies. I was using NI Komplete Kontrol S49 and Maschine but the Push 2 controller really is so good that they've become a bit redundant in my setup, tbh. I need to sell them really. 

Aside from that I use the NI Komplete 10 range of instruments and then a whole host of different VST mastering / effects plug-ins. 

All running through a Focusrite Scarlett interface and Yamaha HS8 monitors on ISOacoustic stands. 

Unfortunately I'm always struggling with writer's block - I can get the initial ideas down but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to mastering and once I've ****ed about getting things sounding just right; I've lost the inspiration to continue the track. 

It's just a nice hobby for me, really. A creative outlet that is better than sitting in front of the TV. Once I'm out of work next year I'm going to sit down and finish my first proper LP - tick that off the list! 

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Unfortunately I'm always struggling with writer's block - I can get the initial ideas down but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to mastering and once I've ****ed about getting things sounding just right; I've lost the inspiration to continue the track. 

It's just a nice hobby for me, really. A creative outlet that is better than sitting in front of the TV. Once I'm out of work next year I'm going to sit down and finish my first proper LP - tick that off the list! 

Same. Absolutely. I make music when I can, I also luckily have a pretty creative job which means I get a bit burned out out of hours and it's hard to motivate. Switching off and vegging out in front of the TV or a video game is often pretty cathartic.

It takes me absolutely f**king ages to get anything down though. I'll make say, 30" of progress with a track in a day, then come back to it, decide it sounds doggo, and spend the next week messing about with every plugin and parameter.

I don't have much hardware anymore. I used to have an Alesis ION and an MPC, but had to flog it all off along with a couple of guitars when I moved to London to fund the unpaid internship I undertook. I could never really justify re-investing in it, so it's just my Macbook, an M-Audio midi controller and a pair of (half-f**ked) Genelec 8020s and a couple of old Samson Resolvs.

I prefer to spend on software... I have a load of fantastic Arturia vintage analog synth VSTs, NI Massive and Sylenth 1, AiR Hybrid 3 and Vacuum. I pretty much only use Waves and PSP plugins for audio processing. 

I'll try to get something recent to you to listen to, always good to get some feedback.

On 26/11/2015 at 01:21, foxtonhin said:

Apologies if there's already a thread for this.

Figure there must be a fair few on here who write and record their own songs. Post it here so the rest of us can have a listen. Any music, any style, any quality - all is welcome.

I'll get the ball rolling with some old demos I have kicking around on soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/theracketbeat/the-marquees-any-other-girl 

Sounds a wee bit like Sonny Bono to me.  :)

I like this thread, I love music but have very little ability.  I once recorded a load of shitty songs when I lived with a pal and it is pretty much the most enjoyable thing I have ever done.  I can play about three chords and just about hold a tune and listening to you guys has inspired me to give it a go.

On 25/10/2017 at 21:34, lifted*fox said:

Lifted, your stuff is interesting and great.  I may be in touch to ask your advice on the best way to start recording on a very basic level (I am technologically backwards these days but like to think I am fairly intelligent so would hope I can pick it up).  X

• Like 1

On 07/11/2018 at 09:36, RumbleFox said:

Lifted, your stuff is interesting and great.  I may be in touch to ask your advice on the best way to start recording on a very basic level (I am technologically backwards these days but like to think I am fairly intelligent so would hope I can pick it up).  X

thank you mate, kind of you to say.

and sure, drop me a PM if you have any questions. everything I've posted up is written using a PC, music software and a midi input controller. you can acquire these things at varying costs depending on how serious you are. 

in fact, you can get almost everything you need for free to begin with. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the first of my four electronica albums - I was just starting out with this type of music, so it's fairly basic (I get a bit more sophisticated each time I move on to the next project.).

I'm pretty sure I'm happy with the mix/mastering (nuendo/motu mkIII/Adam A7X) - but I used a plug-in on the mixdown that i'm not sure about - thoughts, comments all welcome....

https://skfs.bandcamp.com/album/kyotooslo

(Doesn't embed work here?)

Edited by Lillehamring

• 1 month later...