Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Crazy Stat Time!

Confirmed:

50% of Premier League Champions have spent time in the third tier of English football - Blackburn are the first to be relegated after being crowned Champions, while Man City won the Premier League 13 years after being promoted from Division Two (League One) via the play-offs, Leicester City did it in EIGHT seasons, winning each league as they did it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

Mahrez created history during the Watford  game after becoming the first Algerian to reach 100 Premier League appearances

It is obviously true but we've played 111 games since promotion so Mahrez had missed 11 which doesn't seem a lot with two African Cups and it seemed Pearson dropped him a couple of times plus Ranieri did last season.

19 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

At the rate we are picking up points under Shakey, we would be on 77 points had we done so from the start :)

Actually that's incorrect.  22pts from 10 games = 83/84pts over a 38 game season.  More than our champions season total. 

Give the man the job!

2 hours ago, murphy said:

Actually that's incorrect.  22pts from 10 games = 83/84pts over a 38 game season.  More than our champions season total. 

Give the man the job!

Yes that is correct but I meant at this point after 35 :)

Edited by foxes_rule1978

22 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

At the rate we are picking up points under Shakey, we would be on 77 points had we done so from the start :)

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit.

Sunderland, Hull, West Brom, Palace, Watford....we played 2 decent teams in Everton and Arsenal and we lost. Fair enough, we beat Liverpool, but they lose to shite teams.

You can't jazz it up just to make it sound good. 

We won yesterday, times that by 38 and we'll win the league lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit.

Sunderland, Hull, West Brom, Palace, Watford....we played 2 decent teams in Everton and Arsenal and we lost. Fair enough, we beat Liverpool, but they lose to shite teams.

You can't jazz it up just to make it sound good. 

We won yesterday, times that by 38 and we'll win the league lol

Yes, I remember at the end of the 14/15 campaign when we basically showed championship winning form to avoid relegation... I think we won 7, drew one, lost one? Something like that. People were saying 'look, that's title winning form!' I just laughed. I said we played a load of average teams, the one good team we played, Chelsea, turned us over 3-1, so don't get too excited you numpties!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Stoke are boring as shit. How dull must it be to support them?

They were out of the top flight for 23 years before promotion, this will make it a decade in the Premier League. It's not that bad.

1 hour ago, Phube said:

Shamelessly stolen from the Football Ramble:

Since Stoke beat us in 2008 to send us down and them going up they have had two managers:

Pulis

Hughes

Finished (in the Prem):

12th

11th

13th

14th

13th

9th

9th

9th

We've sacked-ish-

Holloway

Pearson

Sousa

Sven

Pearson (for an hour)

Pearson

Claudio

And finished:

Champions of League One

Play off semi final losers (Cardiff)

10th

9th

Play off Semi final losers (Watford)

Champioship Champions

The Greatest Escape (TM)

Premier League CHAMPIONS!!

Aaaaand Champions League Quarter Finalists! 

Stability vs Crazy!

We really have had an utterly mental few years.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

13 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

We really have had an utterly mental few years.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

I defy any club to have had a crazier 10 year period!

13 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

If Spurs beat Man Utd this weekend then we're the last team to ever avoid defeat at White Hart Lane.

Thanks to an equaliser by none other than Ahmed Musa - which was the most recent goal he's scored in the PL.. 6 months ago.

Edited by brucey

15 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

If Spurs beat Man Utd this weekend then we're the last team to ever avoid defeat at White Hart Lane.

I do hate Spurs but that is a seriously impressive record at home W16 D2 L0.

Hopefully they've used up next season's home win quota and will be going down after continuing their shocking run at Wembley.

With Chelsea on the verge of the title there's going to be a lot of this in the coming days. There's an analysis in the Daily Mail today that ranks all the Premier League winners in terms of points won. We're near the bottom end:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4487550/Which-Premier-League-champions-won-points.html

But, I think it's better to look at:

a) Points per game

b) The history of the top flight, not just the PL (where the emergence of a few super rich clubs has skewed the distribution of points)

Up to last season, there have been exactly 100 top flight seasons of 38 games or more (you might remember this from a year ago).

Combining all those 100 title winners in the table below, we come in the top 30.

When Chelsea's points for this season are added (they could still get 93 and be the second best ever - on 2.45 points per game), we will be nudged down to 29th (the figures for seasons up to 1981, when there were two points for a win, have been adjusted accordingly). 

So in historical terms, our title win was pretty good - in the top third. Plus, of course, in terms of relative wage bills, ours was by far the most impressive title win of all time.

all_time.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

And, going back to last January, the last team to stop them scoring there in a league match.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Corky said:

And, going back to last January, the last team to stop them scoring there in a league match.

That was the game that did it, there didn't seem to be that much furore at the time IIRC but that stopped Spurs in their tracks, they were 4th so they weren't yet really in the race but they had a greatly reduced chance of catching us simply because there was no six pointer later on in the season. Proper champions performance too, resolute defensively and we scored from a set piece.

41 minutes ago, Wookie said:

That was the game that did it, there didn't seem to be that much furore at the time IIRC but that stopped Spurs in their tracks, they were 4th so they weren't yet really in the race but they had a greatly reduced chance of catching us simply because there was no six pointer later on in the season. Proper champions performance too, resolute defensively and we scored from a set piece.

That's a weird angle to take. I was convinced after that game our performance was a "disgrace to the sport" and that the fact we kept a clean sheet showed why it would be such a travesty if such a boring side won the league.

Really baffles me why we didn't go there all guns blazing. Just think of the entertainers tag we could've had instead of the three points.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

That's a weird angle to take. I was convinced after that game our performance was a "disgrace to the sport" and that the fact we kept a clean sheet showed why it would be such a travesty if such a boring side won the league.

Really baffles me why we didn't go there all guns blazing. Just think of the entertainers tag we could've had instead of the three points.

You can't say Spurs didn't deserve to win that game!!!!!!!

C-nOUXMWAAAGWbq.jpg:large

Considering that we only won the title (by 10 points) due to the fact that none of the big teams turned up last season, this season only Chelsea and Spurs can eclipse our final points total of 81. So not all that shabby in the end unless the big boys are all taking a multiple season vacation...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FraserSorensen said:

Considering that we only won the title (by 10 points) due to the fact that none of the big teams turned up last season, this season only Chelsea and Spurs can eclipse our final points total of 81. So not all that shabby in the end unless the big boys are all taking a multiple season vacation...

We were the best team by that margin only 3 defeats and that came from only 2 teams. We were imperious, from January onwards we commanded the league. Don't let anyone use the words fluke or freak. Chelsea have even shown a wobble this season, but we gave Spurs absolutely nothing really. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FraserSorensen said:

It is hilarious though and if you take performances in Europe as a barometer for the strength of a league, you could argue that the league was as stronger , if not stronger, last season.

2015/6

Champions League:

Group Stage Exit

Last 16

Last 16

Semi Final

Europa League:

3rd Qualifying Round

Play Off Round

Last 16

Last 16

Runners up

2016/17

Champions League:

Group Stage

Last 16

Last 16

Quarter Finals

Europa League:

Play Off Round

Group Stage

Last 32

Possible Winners

If you take our champions league quarter final out of the equation it makes this season look even worse again for English clubs in Europe.