Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Bowie

A hero of mine and many others. I've been watching video hommages galore the last few days and wondered which your favourite Bowie tracks are.

There sure are so many greats to choose from, I'd probably have to choose something from the Ziggy Stardust album which is my personal favourite.

I'd like to give a shout out to an underplayed track not his best but damn good:

The whole ziggy thang never appealed to me, all too theatrical.

I dug some of his more commercial 80's stuff.  I also liked his 60's stuff, pity that his 60's stuff never gets mentiones.

I loved Ziggy Stardust.

I'm still a bit all over the place and cut up if I'm honest.

Me too.

I'm still a bit all over the place and cut up if I'm honest.

Also really cut up. I loved the 'Blackstar' single and had been annoying all visitors with it for the past month. The album's as weird and original as I'd hoped it would be, and it's hard not to re-evaluate it now in terms of it being a 'goodbye'. Of his older stuff, I loved 'Station to Station' (song). Watch the live clip from some or other film ('Christine F' or something like that) if you get the chance. And 'Quicksands', his live BBC cover of 'Amsterdam' and 'Look Back in Anger'. I'd recommend 'Cygnet Committee' and 'All the Madmen' too. Basically, I loved the guy.

Absolute legend and one of my heroes.

My favorite Bowie track is 'China Girl'. It also contains my favourite Bowie lyric "I stumble into town / Just like a sacred cow / Visions of swastikas in my head". Dunno why but always loved that bit.

• Like 1

My favorite Bowie track is 'China Girl'. It also contains my favourite Bowie lyric "I stumble into town / Just like a sacred cow / Visions of swastikas in my head". Dunno why but always loved that bit.

Without wanting to sound contrary I much prefer the original AND it has Bowie playing a toy piano!!

I think Bowie only re-recorded it when Iggy was down on his luck, had blown all his money on smack and it was to get Iggy some royalties as they co-wrote it together.

I love all his Berlin collaborations with Iggy Pop and Lou Read. Some of his most underrated work was when he was in the background either writing or producing for other artists.

Knocked that out, sat crossed legged on the floor in 20 minutes because Mott The Hoople turned down Suffragette City and he wanted to give them a hit.

Possibly some of the best backing vocals ever!

Edited by 21st Century Fox
  • Like 2

Read it in a book before pal, not sure how accurate it is but it said he'd just listened to it (must have been found next to his record player).

It's also referenced in Control (fantastic film).

As for favourite Bowie song, it has to be Jean Genie for me. Have to turn up the radio anytime that comes on, fantastic sound.

I thought Iggy Pop wrote that?

Oops 21stCF beat me to it.

Edited by Webbo

Going to buy the 'motion picture' live album after seeing this 

What a performance. Would love to have seen him live, especially in the Ziggy Stardust era. 'The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' is my favourite album of his.

I was wondering if there was any love for Bowie in the Bloomfield team of the early 70s. So many of them were Londoners, and there was a Kings Road feel to the squad. Anyway, I googled it and this came up:

Leicester City football legend and club ambassador Alan Birchenall also paid his respects to Bowie.

He said: "I'm was very sad to learn of his death. As soon as I heard it took me straight back to my days as a city player in the '70s.

"Our manager, Jimmy Bloomfield, really loved Bowie, and there used to be a regular battle of wills on the team coach when we travelled away.

"Frank Worthington always wanted Elvis on the stereo, but Jimmy would pull rank.

"So I remember every other week, as soon as we'd hit Narborough Road, Starman or Life on Mars would strike up.

So Jimmy himself was the Bowie fan. Wonderful.

Jimmy himself died of cancer aged only 49, in April 1983 (A month when Bowie was number one in the charts with 'Let's Dance' and a thrillingly attacking City team was getting great results in west London in a never-to-be-forgotten promotion chase).

If anyone can figure out how I can get an mp3 of this i'd be forever grateful!!!

hint hint

You may also like this:

On a separate note:

As the wider world went about its collective mourning after David Bowie's death, record producer Mark Saunders turned to a unique recording he had made with singer in 1985. 

During some momentary downtime at the close of a recording session for the Absolute Beginners soundtrack (a rock musical in which Bowie starred), Bowie began impersonating popular singers, even taking requests from the sound engineers.

Saunders recently shared the recording with The Talk House - and we insist you plug it into your ears immediately. 

Here is the order of impersonations:

0:00 Bruce Springsteen 

0:49 Bob Dylan

1:45 Tom Waits 

2:29 Lou Reed 

3:25 Anthony Newley 

4:13 Iggy Pop 

5:14 Neil Young

Edited by 21st Century Fox
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...