Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Real Ales

39 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Richard III reopens tonight, looks pretty bloody nice tbf - they've done a good job of restoring some of the features inside from the looks of it.

Keen to give it a go if it's not just Everards stuff on.

Is it still a boozer or more of a restaurant? I used to work there years ago

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Richard III reopens tonight, looks pretty bloody nice tbf - they've done a good job of restoring some of the features inside from the looks of it.

Good news. So many pubs have been shut for good, it's nice to see investment being made on what will hopefully be a success.

They may have restored original features but somehow doubt they will attempt to re-create the "proper pub" atmosphere the place used to have.

So, goodbye to

Pool table

Dartboards

The dozens of football pennants hanging from every available space

Poker nights

£1 Bob's cobs (best value in town)

The camaraderie of regulars that have been going in for years

A decent jukebox

Reasonable prices?

My last pint in there was on the night of the Everton game last season when, to be fair, every pub in town was fantastic.

The "old" Richard the third pub - Great memories

The "new" Richard the third pub - Good luck for the future.

Edited by boots60
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Crafty burger own it don't they? Or they're doing some sort of event there

The Kings Head is closed for refurbishment. Going well. Possible opening end of this month. I was there when they started to rip out the carpet. Nice floorboards underneath. Shame they were hidden for a few years. 

The regulars are using Brooods next door. Funny thing Chairman (Meow) the pub's cat found his way  there too. I was told he just walked in and made himself at home.

Nice selection of beers at the Coach in Kibworth but make sure they are spot on ....   If in doubt take it back ...   Any lip from chubby behind the bar just growl ...   Usually works for me.   (Tbh the new landlord is a good bloke and I wish him well).

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else apart from my man Singh been to the Richard 3rd yet? 

I didn't mind it but apart from the outside space it doesn't feel very much like a pub whatsoever, lovely interior but £9 for a pint of cask and a Moretti in all is a bit rich for my liking. Don't mind paying those kind of prices but not for cask that was brewed round the corner and a bog standard lager.

Wygston's House meanwhile is really great I think. Good beers and a unique feel to the place, the blokes from Taps have done a tidy job.

3 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Anyone else apart from my man Singh been to the Richard 3rd yet? 

I didn't mind it but apart from the outside space it doesn't feel very much like a pub whatsoever, lovely interior but £9 for a pint of cask and a Moretti in all is a bit rich for my liking. Don't mind paying those kind of prices but not for cask that was brewed round the corner and a bog standard lager.

Wygston's House meanwhile is really great I think. Good beers and a unique feel to the place, the blokes from Taps have done a tidy job.

Agree with your thoughts on Richard the third pub. I suppose it was inevitable the pub was going to be gentrified given its proximity to the Highcross restaurant area.

I'm old school as far as pubs are concerned & much prefered the old pub as it was one of the last proper, as opposed to manufactured, old fashioned pubs in Leicester. But at least it's still open for business which in these days of pubs closing on a regular basis is a good thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2017 at 21:26, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

In case anyone is into it - Lidl currently have a box of 6 Belgian beers for like 10.99 or something - there's a couple of different Gulden Draaks in there as well as some other goodens, steady value

I was lucky enough to get this box for fathers day,not really the type of beer i'd usually drink on a hot day like today.....But the Gulden Draaks and Piraats were some of the best beer's i've ever tasted!Going back to lidl to get a couple of more boxes to put away for christmas(if they last that long!)

• Like 1

Not real ale as such more of a craft beer thing but Tiny Rebel are doing a "Tap takeover" on the 30th of this month at the west end brewery.

That's right!
Tiny Rebel beers are commandeering our bar for one night only!
6 x Casks
2 x Kegs

and a chance to win a case of Tiny Rebel cans!

Hopefully they'll bring their Stay Puft marshmallow porter with them.tinyrebel_staypuft.jpg

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

no mate people are saying its closed :----(

That would be a shame but I do think it struggles between being a decent boozer or upmarket place to eat. The bar bit should be bigger. Really hope it's not closed 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/06/2017 at 07:50, Rocket-Ron said:

Not real ale as such more of a craft beer thing but Tiny Rebel are doing a "Tap takeover" on the 30th of this month at the west end brewery.

Hopefully they'll bring their Stay Puft marshmallow porter with them.tinyrebel_staypuft.jpg

Bought a couple of bottles of this from

Brewklopedia today, very decent.

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:
On 20/06/2017 at 07:50, Rocket-Ron said:

Bought a couple of bottles of this from

Brewklopedia today, very decent.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does it taste? I understand the concept of Porter, and I am familiar with marshmallows...but...

Is it sweet/Guinness-y/marshmallow-y?!

23 minutes ago, Milo said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how does it taste? I understand the concept of Porter, and I am familiar with marshmallows...but...

Is it sweet/Guinness-y/marshmallow-y?!

To be honest you can't taste Marshmallow but it's got a sweet after taste.

Currently drinking Marmalade on Rye which is a 9% IPA, bit strong for my liking.

6 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Currently drinking Marmalade on Rye which is a 9% IPA, bit strong for my liking.

I do quite a lot of full mash brewing and I'm always looking for some new ideas...but...!!!

My current biggest dislike is grapefruit in beer, which seems to be in everything  at the moment - and yeah, 9% is a bit much!

7 minutes ago, Milo said:

I do quite a lot of full mash brewing and I'm always looking for some new ideas...but...!!!

My current biggest dislike is grapefruit in beer, which seems to be in everything  at the moment - and yeah, 9% is a bit much!

I really like Grapefruit in beer, Brewdogs Elvis juice is great.

Weirdest one I've had was Belgian coconut beer which was surprising incredible in small doses. Had it in Brugge and had to buy some here but drinking by the bottle lost its appeal quickly.