Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beliall

XCOM 2

• 3 months later...

Basically, don't grow attached to any of the characters in your team. hahah

thats impossible. they even gave the random civs names in terror attacks. oh no, victor munoz just got laser blasted!

• 10 months later...

@Beliall how did you get on with this?

I've never played an xcom game. They're everything I like on paper. Challenging, turn based, base builder, character building. Great stuff.

But every review talks about it being good but flawed with wildly frustrating bugs. Not sure I can be arsed with that.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've never played an xcom game. They're everything I like on paper. Challenging, turn based, base builder, character building. Great stuff.

But every review talks about it being good but flawed with wildly frustrating bugs. Not sure I can be arsed with that.

Not sure of the bugs you speak, certainly nothing game breaking. Might be worth trying the original games on Steam, think the whole lot are available for a few quid. Of their time, they were amazing... similar to  Fallout 1 and 2 when it goes into turn-based combat mode. It's so satisfying to gradually work your way up. Strangely the original games have a lot more choice and freedom (e.g., you can pick up weapons from killed aliens and use them against them... assuming you've previously managed to get one back to base and research it. The new games insist you can only use the weapons kitted out to a character :( ) Base building was more detailed and thought out too. The aliens will bring the pain to you if they find you! So layout is vital!

The end game is better balanced in the new games. In the originals, once you had all the alien tech, you were god-like! The new ones are still tough, even once you have it all.

Oh, don't play X-com Interceptor or any of the post-Rignall games. Enemy Unknown, Terror From The Deep and Apocalypse are the only earlier ones worth playing. Apocalypse toys with trying to be an RTS, but doesn't quite pull it off, but I think it's still a good game.

Can't recommend enough.

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The only bugs I've seen are dead bugs. This game is excellent, especially with the long war 2 mod. though i would play vanilla first. get it dude

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

@Finnegan have a look at this thread for detailed discussion of the first Xcom reboot.

At a quick glance nobody complaining of bugs there :dunno:

Check the steam feedback for xcom ew/eu and xcom 2 and it's all positive reviews but they still all say it's chock full of bugs.

@Beliall what's the deal with Long War? Is it purely a game overhaul or is it a whole standalone story? 

59 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Check the steam feedback for xcom ew/eu and xcom 2 and it's all positive reviews but they still all say it's chock full of bugs.

@Beliall what's the deal with Long War? Is it purely a game overhaul or is it a whole standalone story? 

Its a game overhaul. tougher enemies, new enemies, longer campaign new weapons etc. Definitely try the vanilla first mate, LW2 is solid

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Oh and would you recommend playing the first (reboot) one first or going straight to 2?

Story wise I get it, aliens take over, probably not much to get.

Which is better in gameplay terms?

Virtually identical. Two is a progression of one, is perfectly playable on it's own, but contains spoilers should you want to play one at some point.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Oh and would you recommend playing the first (reboot) one first or going straight to 2?

Story wise I get it, aliens take over, probably not much to get.

Which is better in gameplay terms?

Its the same game essentially which is a good thing, as i think any changes would have made it worse, yes its a sequel and the story carries on, I personally would play them in order, but thats just me.

I've gone with the first one, I'm playing enemy within, I think, the slightly updated version?

Enjoying it so far, done about 6 or 7 missions without any deaths (I've restarted a couple of missions mind) on normal difficulty.

How far am I likely to get before I give up and start treating my soldiers as expendable?!

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've gone with the first one, I'm playing enemy within, I think, the slightly updated version?

Enjoying it so far, done about 6 or 7 missions without any deaths (I've restarted a couple of missions mind) on normal difficulty.

How far am I likely to get before I give up and start treating my soldiers as expendable?!

Im sorry what? Restarted? Expendable? You need to get into the xcom mindset.  Your soldiers are more important than your real life. You will love them and dress them and mourn them before avenging them.  Also switch on iron man mode ya pussy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Do what the man says! No saving mid-mission!

Also @Finnegan if you've not had any fatalities, then you haven't played the tutorial.

Or you're lying... :ph34r:

I've not reloaded half way through to wind back turns but I've restarted two when everyone died in the space of about 30 seconds. lol

I had my squad wiped in the first tutorial mission obviously.

Not long after posting that, I did the spider alien mission in Newfoundland with the airstrike. lol

Sole survivor of the tutorial massacre, grizzled Argentinian veteran, heavy Major Humberto "Moose" Vargas takes one for the team.

I use him to switch the ship's GPS on, get told I've got 8 turns to leg it. 

Rest of the team are all miles away in retreating distance so I do one and leave him to keep the spider things distracted. lol

Devastated. What a hero, what a man, what a loss.

Alright, @Beliall, I get it now.

I feel this was a more effective lesson in xcom than the tutorial haha.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not long after posting that, I did the spider alien mission in Newfoundland with the airstrike. lol

Sole survivor of the tutorial massacre, grizzled Argentinian veteran, heavy Major Humberto "Moose" Vargas takes one for the team.

I use him to switch the ship's GPS on, get told I've got 8 turns to leg it. 

Rest of the team are all miles away in retreating distance so I do one and leave him to keep the spider things distracted. lol

Devastated. What a hero, what a man, what a loss.

Alright, @Beliall, I get it now.

I feel this was a more effective lesson in xcom than the tutorial haha.

Legend. glad you are enjoying it. In the second one your soldiers can be captured by the enemy, and there's a small chance a mission will spawn later where you can rescue them. Its awesome getting that top ranked sniper you lost back in your squad

I hope they come with some serious emotional baggage after you rescue them. Lol.

YOU WEREN'T THERE MAN!

The new hero of my team is a French support, also at Major, called Constance Lefevre who has managed to be with me from the start without ever getting injured. So she's probably next to bite it. lol

@Beliall @Trav Le Bleu

I feel like I'm advancing the story quicker than I can research everything and I'd like to play around with more of the tech etc.

Am I right in thinking that if I don't do one of the key objectives, ie, building a certain facility, the game will keep just spawning random abduction and UFO missions until I do?