Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Only just seen this post and am sorry to hear about your tough times, Mac. If it would help you to chat or bounce thoughts off a friendly, inexpert stranger, please feel free to PM me.

My own marriage finally collapsed last year, though that was more of a long, slow sinking than a sudden hitting of the rocks, so maybe less of a shock than your situation sounds.

A couple of quick comments:

- Re. Buce's comments about NHS referrals taking a long time, I don't know the general scenario but I got referred a year ago for "moderate depression/mild anxiety" and it took about 3 months. I was then sent on a stress management course, which I didn't find terribly useful as it was mainly directed at people who regularly had depression/anxiety-type issues, whereas it was new to me and my issues had been caused by specific events. 

- I hesitate to comment as I obviously don't really know you, never having met you, but feel as if I know you a bit from your FT posts. You always come across as a very rational, analytical chap and I imagine you trying to assess what has happened so as to make decisions about the future. But it might be a mistake to come too quickly to a view of what's gone wrong and how you're going to move forward. Of course, I might be talking rubbish there - apologies, if so.

Get in touch any time if you want a jaw with someone other than close friends and family.

Thanks for the support Alf, and I'm sorry to hear about your own marriage. Yes - what happened was something of a shock to the system.

I guess I do need to give myself time to process what has happened and come to a decision based on that, but at the same time I feel that the sooner I can help myself (with a little help on the side) the sooner I can get going with a fulfilling life again. So I guess I've got to try and balance those factors somehow while trusting my own judgement (not the easiest thing right now as what has happened means I don't really trust it) to make the right choice on that score.

Guess we'll see how it rolls out, and I now also have ideas for other referral options should the NHS one not really turn out the way it should be for me.

• Like 1

I'm struggling at the moment tbh. 

I need to make a change in my life - I don't feel fulfilled and have decided I need to prioritise happiness over money and 'stuff'. 

I'm 33 and have money, a nice car, a mortgage, a 'good job', bla bla bla, etc. all the shit people aspire to; but it's material shit and I don't enjoy what I do so it's all become kind of meaningless.

The wife is starting to talk about wanting kids and I'm just not ready yet - I need to sort my own head / situation out before bringing anything else into the equation but it's hanging over me and I feel like I'm being backed into a corner. She's being really supportive though and isn't putting pressure on at all - it must be hard for her to see me so confused and disconnected from everything at the moment. 

Trying to find the right path to a better life is consuming my entire thought process at the moment, I can't escape it. Every minute I have to myself I'm constantly trying to imagine / think of the next step. 

I know it's part of the process and I know I've got to go through this bit to get to a better place but I'm finding it hard.

Trying to exercise and eat better but not sleeping well and just struggling to find motivation while I'm still doing my job.

I'm thinking about giving it up soon and just taking a few months out to get my head straight, get fit, do some work on the house and figure things out without employment hanging over me. 

But yeah, ****ing weird and hard not to feel utterly lost at the moment. 

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

I need to make a change in my life - I don't feel fulfilled and have decided I need to prioritise happiness over money and 'stuff'. 

I'm 33 and have money, a nice car, a mortgage, a 'good job', bla bla bla, etc. all the shit people aspire to; but it's material shit and I don't enjoy what I do so it's all become kind of meaningless.

The wife is starting to talk about wanting kids and I'm just not ready yet - I need to sort my own head / situation out before bringing anything else into the equation but it's hanging over me and I feel like I'm being backed into a corner. She's being really supportive though and isn't putting pressure on at all - it must be hard for her to see me so confused and disconnected from everything at the moment. 

Trying to find the right path to a better life is consuming my entire thought process at the moment, I can't escape it. Every minute I have to myself I'm constantly trying to imagine / think of the next step. 

I know it's part of the process and I know I've got to go through this bit to get to a better place but I'm finding it hard.

Trying to exercise and eat better but not sleeping well and just struggling to find motivation while I'm still doing my job.

I'm thinking about giving it up soon and just taking a few months out to get my head straight, get fit, do some work on the house and figure things out without employment hanging over me. 

Sorry to hear you’re struggling Daz :(

Sounds like your head is full of thoughts and maybe you’re ‘getting in your own way’ a bit rather than letting things pan out the way they’re intended too?

Trying to force change is difficult and frustrating in my experience, just ‘letting it happen’ sounds lazy and counterproductive I know but sometimes we need to just take time out and trust that the universe will conspire in our favour.

I know that sounds woolly and vague but maybe your idea of giving up your job and taking a few months off is just your wisdom and intuition guiding you.

Trust your vibes mate and do what feels right in the moment. I know that ‘lost’ feeling well and I think we all feel that from time to time. You’re still pretty young in the grand scheme of things so just let it all evolve as it’s meant too.

Good luck dude.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Sorry to hear about your current problems mate. The bit I've highlighted is kind of a biggy though - and I can speak from experience. 

You're in your early 30's so assume your missus is similar age. You're financially secure etc so it's natural that your missus is probably thinking about starting a family. Knowing women, she's probably thinking about having a baby morning noon and night! You say you're not ready. From my own experience, this is a time bomb which may be at the root of some of your problems. 

If one partner wants to have a baby and the other one doesn't then is can cause a big wedge in a relationship. When my missus and I decided to "try" for a baby I kind of went along with it thinking it will probably take ages to get pregnant and then a month later, she was pregnant. It's a big shock. 

Are you not feeling ready because your head is all over the place, or is your head all over the place because "baby" is looming large in your relationship?

You definitely need to make sure you are communicating with your wife about this. I'm a person who bottles things up and is doesn't help in the long run believe me.

Having a baby is a massive thing of course, very scary - but it is ultimately a very grand and rewarding experience (mostly!)

You can say goodbye to having money and a nice car though!

Anyway, hope i've not made things worse - I just wondered if the baby thing is the cause of all the stress?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Hey chap. Make sure you're head is right before having a baby. It's amazing being a Dad, but gosh does it test you, mentally and physically. 

My wife gets really angry when she's tired, seriously, like a really grouchy bear just woken up from hibernation. As you can imagine our now nearly two year old keeps us up at night and my wife is just not the person she used to be at all. I'm hoping that once he finally sleeps at night, then she'll return to being the lady I met, but it's bloody hard to keep our relationship together when shes screaming at me in frustration. 

Oh damn that seems really negative. In the most part it is truly the best and most amazing thing!!! During the day, playing and laughing and coming home to that amazing little smile as he shouts "Daddy!!! Daddy home!!" Is utter perfection. I just wish we as a couple had discussed it more and waited just a little longer until we were both a bit more mature. 

I also wish I had waited until my head was less hazy. Tiredness exacerbates emotions and being on this level of exhaustion has certainly rocked my already fragile mental health. 

Sounds you're doing all the right things.  Deffo sort yourself into a career that fullfills your potential and mental health. Because once you have children, changing careers is going to be a lit more difficult. P.s do not go into teaching!! Ha. 

Sorry I hope I haven't seemed mega negative. Just trying to give perspective from my own experience. 

Of course your partner may well be a lot less petty than mine. :)

• Like 2

I’ve wanted to say this for a long time,

but haven’t as worried I would regret it,

ive been married 4 years and with my wife 14,

i love her but life can seem depressing at times,

to the point that as I write this,

im drinking brandy by meself and taking illegal drugs,

now before I get shot down,

let me finish,

as much as I don’t condone any form of drug,the only time I feel happy is when I’m high,

it seems it’s all I have known since me and the Mrs met,

though I must stress she hates any form of drugs,

yet feels I’m a nicer person when high,

i suspect any reply’s will be from anyone likeminded in my position now,

ive always had depression and feel I can only be happy when on drugs,

but I don’t want this type of life 

Edited by Russell sprout

2 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

let me finish,

as much as I don’t condone any form of drug,the only time I feel happy is when I’m high,

Hey mate, goodonya for saying it, it helps to say it out loud (even if that is on a football forum) its a great start to moving forward.

Im certainly no expert but talking is the very first step...talk here, to a GP, to a friend or family member you can trust. It WILL help.

Be really careful with the drugs, they can sometimes change who we are, which changes how we think and feel.

Always remember you will pass through these stages and especiially talking with a professional will help you.

Good luck, if you find yourself needing a chat late at night etc.... im usually lurking here, its day time and Im always looking for an excuse to avoid work so drop me a message or whatever and ill listen (without any judgement and complete anonymity) to you, or appraise you of the weird world i live in down under :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

let me finish,

Tell me to mind my own business if you wish, mate, but what are we talking here? A bit of weed or something else?

6 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

let me finish,

Life is depressing at times.  If you have clinical depression then 'at times' is all or nearly all of the time, but that's the warped point of view that depression causes.

If you are clinically depressed then you will most likely need drugs to break the cycle but probably not the ones you're taking, which can be viewed as good because they ease the pain for a while but they aren't tackling the root of the problem.  

When I suffered from depression I didn't realise that this caused physiological changes that had to be corrected by drugs before I could even contemplate getting to the source of the problem.  So seeing your GP is a pretty essential first step to recovery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

let me finish,

You'll never get shot down on this thread mate - that's why it's the best thread on FT. People genuinely care on here and only want what's best for each other on this thread in my experience.

It's been a long time since I did illegal drugs but there's many on this board who do drugs on a regular basis. We all do what we need to do to cope and get through life so no one will judge you or think the worse of you. Life's hard mate and we gotta do what we gotta do to get through it. We all have our own individual coping mechanisms.

Even though you wrote that post when you were high, you still recognise that it's not really the type of life you want which shows a great deal of self awareness. I guess the challenge is to find something in life to replace the drugs. Something else that can provide you with happiness. What could that be? What else makes you happy in life? I'll bet there's something else apart from being on drugs if you really think about it...

Maybe a start point is to ask yourself "What type of life do I want?" instead. Once we've set our positive intentions, the universe has a canny way of guiding us in getting there. And as the others have said, a start point is to see your GP and explain the situation to them.

All people want is what's best for you and anyone will help you best they can to have the life you truly want.

You're not alone mate and please keep posting on here so others can support you on your journey...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

let me finish,

No one will shoot you down here mate. 

We all have problems and issues

We are all here to try and help each other

It's a brave move to post that mate, so kudos to you for that

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Hey chap. Make sure you're head is right before having a baby. It's amazing being a Dad, but gosh does it test you, mentally and physically. 

My wife gets really angry when she's tired, seriously, like a really grouchy bear just woken up from hibernation. As you can imagine our now nearly two year old keeps us up at night and my wife is just not the person she used to be at all. I'm hoping that once he finally sleeps at night, then she'll return to being the lady I met, but it's bloody hard to keep our relationship together when shes screaming at me in frustration. 

Oh damn that seems really negative. In the most part it is truly the best and most amazing thing!!! During the day, playing and laughing and coming home to that amazing little smile as he shouts "Daddy!!! Daddy home!!" Is utter perfection. I just wish we as a couple had discussed it more and waited just a little longer until we were both a bit more mature. 

I also wish I had waited until my head was less hazy. Tiredness exacerbates emotions and being on this level of exhaustion has certainly rocked my already fragile mental health. 

Sounds you're doing all the right things.  Deffo sort yourself into a career that fullfills your potential and mental health. Because once you have children, changing careers is going to be a lit more difficult. P.s do not go into teaching!! Ha. 

Sorry I hope I haven't seemed mega negative. Just trying to give perspective from my own experience. 

Of course your partner may well be a lot less petty than mine. :)

Hello mate, 

Thanks so much for the kind reply. Your advice is sound and much what I'm thinking - get myself sorted and happy before bringing anything else into the equation. You know how it is though, the body clock ticks and expectations come about. I'm all for having kids but not sure if now or here is the right time and place. 

I'm a bit busy right now but I'll read your advice again later and maybe reply again ?

Have a nice weekend dude. 

• Thanks 1

Don't follow the goal to richness,money and fortune.

Follow the goal to contentment and happiness.

A brand new car won't make you truly happy.

It's just material shite

• Like 3

On 30/05/2018 at 23:36, Izzy Muzzett said:

Life's hard sometimes ain't it?

I'm noticing more and more each day that everyone has a story to tell and everyone is struggling with at least one aspect of their life. It might be their health, their relationship with their partner/parents/kids, their job, their finances, their future, their past......the list is endless.

What I'm also noticing is how relieved people are when they share their troubles. Those (including me sometimes) who 'bottle it up' seem to be the one's who are in the most pain. I also think that most people are good and most people want to help others. I don't believe anyone wants to see others suffer and our natural instinct is to be helpful and supportive.

Like everyone else, I've got my fair share of issues to contend with at the moment. One thing I've realised is that I'm not superman and I need people around me to listen and support me. I'm very lucky and very grateful that I've got people to call upon when I'm feeling low and they listen without judgement while I pour my heart out.

I try and pay it forward and help others if and when I can. We can all play that role for someone else, even if we're not that close to them. The older I get the more I think life is all about helping others in need.

There's a couple of people on this board (who I won't embarrass by naming - you know who you are) who are always there for me - even though I've never met them in 'real' life. Complete strangers who DM me just to check in and see if I'm O.K. with stuff. It means the world to me because they don't have to do it. They do it because they care.

Thank you for inspiring me to be a better person and do the same for others. Let's not suffer in silence and lets all reach out to those who we think need help.

(My apologies if this comes across in anyway as preachy) 

Good lad. Ditto x

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and advice given,

i woke up Saturday morning thinking ‘what have I done,and said’ on foxestalk,

and upon Seing I had some replies to my comment,

was ready to face the embarrassment of what I wrote,

but the responses have been the complete opposite to what I expected,

really positive and has made me feel il not alone,thanks all,

means a lot 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Russell sprout said:

Thanks for all the replies and advice given,

i woke up Saturday morning thinking ‘what have I done,and said’ on foxestalk,

and upon Seing I had some replies to my comment,

was ready to face the embarrassment of what I wrote,

but the responses have been the complete opposite to what I expected,

really positive and has made me feel il not alone,thanks all,

means a lot 

Be unafraid - holding it in is the worst thing you can do to yourself.

Don't know if anybody watched the four dames programme last night ?

Eileen Atkins , Judi Dench , Joan Plowright and Maggie Smith .

Probably the four finest actresses the Country has produced having a chat. 

Anybody feeling a bit down in the dumps should watch that for inspiration.

Wonderful ladies now well into their Eighties with still sharp minds , all very humble

and very funny and above all you could tell they are great mates.

I need help and I don't know where else to ask...

My wife is suffering from extreme depression, to the point where she has seriously considered suicide. She takes AD's but they don't seem to have any effect on her any more.

On Sunday I went to the hospital with paralysing back pain and was given a tonne of different painkillers, anti-inflammatories and sleeping pills. I went to take some last night and realised that a box of the sleeping pills were missing. She eventually admitted to stealing them with the intention of ODing. We talked a lot and she calmed down but I'm terrified of leaving her on her own. She's currently on a week off work on holiday. She's refusing to get any more help from anywhere. Is there a way I can make her get some real help without it looking like I'm forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do?

12 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

My wife is suffering from extreme depression, to the point where she has seriously considered suicide. She takes AD's but they don't seem to have any effect on her any more.

On Sunday I went to the hospital with paralysing back pain and was given a tonne of different painkillers, anti-inflammatories and sleeping pills. I went to take some last night and realised that a box of the sleeping pills were missing. She eventually admitted to stealing them with the intention of ODing. We talked a lot and she calmed down but I'm terrified of leaving her on her own. She's currently on a week off work on holiday. She's refusing to get any more help from anywhere. Is there a way I can make her get some real help without it looking like I'm forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do?

I'd get in touch with your GP and get professional advice straight away. If she's admitted to wanted to OD then that's grounds for sectioning under the mental health act.

Make no mistake, I'd expect it to be utterly crap for your marriage, but I don't expect an ODing wife to be a barrel of laughs either. She'll thank you when she gets better. 

Sorry to hear your going through this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TiffToff88 said:

Check your messages, mate.

• Thanks 1