Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

Whatever I have that causes my ulcers (helicobacter pylori is the main culprit, I tested negative six years ago) is quite possibly and probably aggravated by the fact I'm not happy. 

But whatever it is is still an underlying cause that I'm pretty confident is unrelated. 

Truthfully, I'm starting to suspect the test was a false negative, I'm registering with a new gp and am going to request a retest straight away. 

10 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Well, talking from my own experience....

I'm now convinced that my original diagnosis for Ulcerative Colitis back in the day was definitely stress/anxiety related. 

I'm now 'colonless' and recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease. It's mosty under control with diet and medication but whenever I have a flare up, it's usually when I'm unhappy, stressed or anxious.

Not sure if that really helps you one bit but I think maybe our body reacts to our state of mind rather than the other way around. I could be talking complete bollux as usual though :unsure:

No, you’re right, Izzy. 

It is well documented that emotional stress can manifest as physical ill-health:

https://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/stress-symptoms-effects_of-stress-on-the-body

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

No, you’re right, Izzy. 

It is well documented that emotional stress can manifest as physical ill-health:

https://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/stress-symptoms-effects_of-stress-on-the-body

There we are then. Both top and bottom of the list!

What Are the Consequences of Long-Term Stress?

A little stress every now and then is not something to be concerned about. Ongoing, chronic stress, however, can cause or exacerbate many serious health problems, including:

12 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

A little stress every now and then is not something to be concerned about. Ongoing, chronic stress, however, can cause or exacerbate many serious health problems, including:

As we’ve discussed before regarding smoking weed - the health risks of doing so are far less than those of living with stress. 

If I hadn’t been a user stress would have killed me long ago. 

Edited by Buce

Thought I'd share some experiences that might help others.

I suffer from hereditary "medical" depression which I describe as irrational responses.

The drugs do work for me and I recommend anybody having a bad time with them to persevere and pressure the doctor to keep trying different meds.

Don't forget, the end game if you lose the battle against depression is suicide. I know of a few who have succumb (Not close friends, but friends of friends) and after heavy discussion me and others genuinely believe that if that person saw the devastation they left behind they would never have done it. Which I translate as one mother****er of a.psychotic depressive moment. Luckily I have never felt that close but could understand how others do. It would be so easy to let go.

The.other point. Most gp's dont have the time. Be strong for that one moment. Even if that means breaking down  in their office. Force them to give you help.

The meds are only one part. I have suffered for 25 years and have been to counselling twice for a few months at a time.

What worked for me was cognitive behavioural therapy. Relearning how to act/react.

For me this meant putting on a front and acting like things.didnt bother me. Do it long enough and things stopped bothering me.

Be aware of your moods. Take time out for you. I love my wife to bits but she cannot help me when I'm at my worst. I take time out for me.

The cycle which is probably my life but does get easier is this.

Take meds. know my dosage. Every few years something happens, I need to up my dose. Accept it. Wait until It feels like.an artificial high. Enjoy the "fake" good moods. Then when you feel ready talk to your gp about reducing dose again. Don't try to come off them if they work. Accept it is medical. You wouldn't stop taking blood pressure meds, or insulin for diabetes.

Second. If it doesn't work. Or you feel you need more, ask for more counselling. It's not a once in a lifetime offer where you fail if you don't "fix" yourself. Life changes. It's someone to talk to. A complete stranger like this place but they are professionals. 

Thirdly, my biggest real improvements came from changing. For me on top of the above acting like things don't bother me, I now spend an hour on my exercise bike each night watching Dexter, or love island. I love it and forget I'm exercising. It also release endorphins and makes me feel good.

I also have acupuncture for depression. Works for me although I do sometimes wonder if it is the counseling element of having someone to talk to. Expensive but I now do her accounts in exchange for acupuncture.

I know ive turned a corner because life has not magically got easier, been through some.of the toughest shit during then times, but.it genuinely doesnt bother me like it used to.

The other helper. Altruism. I now help out at a youth club and doing something for others genuinely.makes you feel good about yourself.

Ps I'm a talker but there's no-one I talk to face to face like this.

Pps happy to talk to anyone in private if they think I could help. I now keep an eye out for signs and champion anyone I know who exhibits signs. Like i said. The end game is suicide. This is serious shit whether people understand it or not.

And to the man whose wife is suffering badly, I personally would force the issue for self preservation purposes. Take them to the doctors. Push them to the limit and take then to doctors. Section them if necessary. Harsh but I believe the end game would be far harsher for you than the many who would be oblivious. Kudos for noticing. Many.dont have that person to see the signs and get them to admit their thoughts. They just do it. You're already winning but you need to win every time

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

I have no specific reason to feel the way I do, but my depression has absolutely hammered me for the last week or so. I feel completely numb to things I should care about - family, work, football etc.. but I genuinely feel like I don't give a crap about any of it. I get up in the morning wishing it was the end of the day so I could just go back to bed. I'm finding myself in a daze at work, not really knowing what to do with myself and the things I am doing, I do half heartedly. Not like the real me at all and I've not felt this way since when I was first diagnosed and started on the pills 7 years ago :(

Sorry guys, just needed a quick vent. Hopefully it'll pass soon. 

Venting is a damn good first start.second is selfishness. No one will look out for you better than you.

Sometimes it just wears you out.

Only you know if this would work for you, but what's the worst that can happen if you pulled a sickie and spent 2 days in bed?

As long as it is a one off. Try it. If it doesn't work try something else. See.my earlier rambling diatribe for things that have worked for me, but I've never found anything bad can come from sleeping too much.

I now work for myself and don't beat myself up for stuff. Sometimes filling my face works, sometimes a sixteen hour sleep.

I know it's not that easy for others but before deciding that force yourself to think about it rationally. 

8 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Thought I'd share some experiences that might help others.

I suffer from hereditary "medical" depression which I describe as irrational responses.

The drugs do work for me and I recommend anybody having a bad time with them to persevere and pressure the doctor to keep trying different meds.

Don't forget, the end game if you lose the battle against depression is suicide. I know of a few who have succumb (Not close friends, but friends of friends) and after heavy discussion me and others genuinely believe that if that person saw the devastation they left behind they would never have done it. Which I translate as one mother****er of a.psychotic depressive moment. Luckily I have never felt that close but could understand how others do. It would be so easy to let go.

The.other point. Most gp's dont have the time. Be strong for that one moment. Even if that means breaking down  in their office. Force them to give you help.

The meds are only one part. I have suffered for 25 years and have been to counselling twice for a few months at a time.

What worked for me was cognitive behavioural therapy. Relearning how to act/react.

For me this meant putting on a front and acting like things.didnt bother me. Do it long enough and things stopped bothering me.

Be aware of your moods. Take time out for you. I love my wife to bits but she cannot help me when I'm at my worst. I take time out for me.

The cycle which is probably my life but does get easier is this.

Take meds. know my dosage. Every few years something happens, I need to up my dose. Accept it. Wait until It feels like.an artificial high. Enjoy the "fake" good moods. Then when you feel ready talk to your gp about reducing dose again. Don't try to come off them if they work. Accept it is medical. You wouldn't stop taking blood pressure meds, or insulin for diabetes.

Second. If it doesn't work. Or you feel you need more, ask for more counselling. It's not a once in a lifetime offer where you fail if you don't "fix" yourself. Life changes. It's someone to talk to. A complete stranger like this place but they are professionals. 

Thirdly, my biggest real improvements came from changing. For me on top of the above acting like things don't bother me, I now spend an hour on my exercise bike each night watching Dexter, or love island. I love it and forget I'm exercising. It also release endorphins and makes me feel good.

I also have acupuncture for depression. Works for me although I do sometimes wonder if it is the counseling element of having someone to talk to. Expensive but I now do her accounts in exchange for acupuncture.

I know ive turned a corner because life has not magically got easier, been through some.of the toughest shit during then times, but.it genuinely doesnt bother me like it used to.

The other helper. Altruism. I now help out at a youth club and doing something for others genuinely.makes you feel good about yourself.

Ps I'm a talker but there's no-one I talk to face to face like this.

Pps happy to talk to anyone in private if they think I could help. I now keep an eye out for signs and champion anyone I know who exhibits signs. Like i said. The end game is suicide. This is serious shit whether people understand it or not.

And to the man whose wife is suffering badly, I personally would force the issue for self preservation purposes. Take them to the doctors. Push them to the limit and take then to doctors. Section them if necessary. Harsh but I believe the end game would be far harsher for you than the many who would be oblivious. Kudos for noticing. Many.dont have that person to see the signs and get them to admit their thoughts. They just do it. You're already winning but you need to win every time

Brilliant post.  The most valuable advice we can give to those in the grip of depression is what has worked for us and the hope that if we can get through it, so can they.  Plus depression is a very isolating condition and many may not even be able to bring themselves to post on this forum, a post like this reaches out and helps those people.  Well done.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Whatever I have that causes my ulcers (helicobacter pylori is the main culprit, I tested negative six years ago) is quite possibly and probably aggravated by the fact I'm not happy. 

But whatever it is is still an underlying cause that I'm pretty confident is unrelated. 

Truthfully, I'm starting to suspect the test was a false negative, I'm registering with a new gp and am going to request a retest straight away. 

Are you on meds?

The medication I'm on specifies that you should not use Ibuprofen at the same time, because it dramatically increases the risk of stomach ulcers. 

I didn't know this until it came up when I was being prescribed some antibiotics for an infection. Until that point I'd been chomping Ibuprofens like Smints.

13 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Are you on meds?

The medication I'm on specifies that you should not use Ibuprofen at the same time, because it dramatically increases the risk of stomach ulcers. 

I didn't know this until it came up when I was being prescribed some antibiotics for an infection. Until that point I'd been chomping Ibuprofens like Smints.

I haven't taken any nsaids for years because of their impact on the stomach. 

I take omeprazole daily. 

23 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Thanks for the comments and messages I had yesterday, really appreciate it. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow for a medication review. 

Please keep us informed (If you feel up to it)

Give it a few days if necessary. Here's hoping you get the immediate "artificial high" that I get when I need to up the dose. And if you do,m just enjoy it for a bit.

Well after a long period where it felt like I had turned a corner, life comes along to kick you in the nuts. Time to see how far I've come. 

After yet another stand up row with my new business partner I can now look forward to another career defining argumeeting next week.

That will take care of itself to a large extent. The real test is to not over think it all weekend (yet still think about it enough to make sure I'm ready) without being in a mood all weekend resulting in arguments with the wife.

I am so confident in what I've got to do, but also feel I have a legitimate right to be a bit down, but not got to let the big D take over and start slipping again. I'll see how I go and self medicate a small dose increase for a day or 2 I think (trust me I'm a fully qualified **** head) and see if I feel like turning around weekend argument number 1 ( a good old fashioned shouty one where she tells me I need to change and I'm ****ed up in the head. Bingo love, any advice my darling or just cheer the **** up shall I?)

Looking forward to the extra dosage ( and extra scrutiny and criticism if I go to the laptop to try to bring my work related thoughts into some sort of order.)

Oh happy days, see you on the other side.

Edited by gw_leics772
****ing duck
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Well after a long period where it felt like I had turned a corner, life comes along to kick you in the nuts. Time to see how far I've come. 

After yet another stand up row with my new business partner I can now look forward to another career defining argumeeting next week.

That will take care of itself to a large extent. The real test is to not over think it all weekend (yet still think about it enough to make sure I'm ready) without being in a mood all weekend resulting in arguments with the wife.

I am so confident in what I've got to do, but also feel I have a legitimate right to be a bit down, but not got to let the big D take over and start slipping again. I'll see how I go and self medicate a small dose increase for a day or 2 I think (trust me I'm a fully qualified **** head) and see if I feel like turning around weekend argument number 1 ( a good old fashioned shouty one where she tells me I need to change and I'm ****ed up in the head. Bingo love, any advice my darling or just cheer the **** up shall I?)

Looking forward to the extra dosage ( and extra scrutiny and criticism if I go to the laptop to try to bring my work related thoughts into some sort of order.)

Oh happy days, see you on the other side.

It's a tricky one for sure.

I'm a great one for 'over thinking' stuff but am getting better at catching myself doing it. What I notice is how fed up I get when I'm constantly thinking about shit that I can't control (usually the future) and then that puts me in a bad mood. It's nuts really because I miss the present moment and then life just passes me by while I'm worrying about stuff that probably won't happen - bonkers.

Then again, I've also been reading recently about not fighting against our negative emotions and accepting that it's all part of being human - the up's and the downs. I guess the challenge for all of us is not to get 'stuck' in the downs for a sustained period of time which can lead to the 'big D' as you say. 

I think the big issue for me as a recovering perfectionist is realising that life is pretty much out of control. Some of us (me) have a huge need for certainty and when that's not being met, feel out of control and then panic. Being out of control leads to feeling under threat which leads to the adrenaline kicking in and the stress of 'fight or flight'. Keeping it all in check is difficult.

I hope you have a peaceful and relaxing weekend mate and that next week goes the best it can.

I've got this printed out and stuck up on my office :)

image.jpeg.a40fd57a64ca51d1923130a81d36972f.jpeg

Edited by Izzy Muzzett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/06/2018 at 22:53, Izzy Muzzett said:

I firmly believe stress is a killer. I’m not quoting empirical evidence etc but am strongly of the opinion that if you have some biological predisposition to a ‘disorder’ (whatever that may be) it can triggered by stress. Of course, many mental disorders can be stress induced eg. Schizophrenia, but I reckon the same is true of many physiological problems. 

It’s my belief that if you can lead a life where you can control, to some extent, the amount of stress you are under, you’ll be generally more healthy both in the short and long term.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I firmly believe stress is a killer. I’m not quoting empirical evidence etc but am strongly of the opinion that if you have some biological predisposition to a ‘disorder’ (whatever that may be) it can triggered by stress. Of course, many mental disorders can be stress induced eg. Schizophrenia, but I reckon the same is true of many physiological problems. 

It’s my belief that if you can lead a life where you can control, to some extent, the amount of stress you are under, you’ll be generally more healthy both in the short and long term.

That's widely accepted now, Col.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It's a tricky one for sure.

I'm a great one for 'other thinking' stuff but am getting better at catching myself doing it. What I notice is how fed up I get when I'm constantly thinking about shit that I can't control (usually the future) and then that puts me in a bad mood. It's nuts really because I miss the present moment and then life just passes me by while I'm worrying about stuff that probably won't happen - bonkers.

Then again, I've also been reading recently about not fighting against our negative emotions and accepting that it's all part of being human - the up's and the downs. I guess the challenge for all of us is not to get 'stuck' in the downs for a sustained period of time which can lead to the 'big D' as you say. 

I think the big issue for me as a recovering perfectionist is realising that life is pretty much out of control. Some of us (me) have a huge need for certainty and when that's not being met, feel out of control and then panic. Being out of control leads to feeling under threat which leads to the adrenaline kicking in and the stress of 'fight or flight'. Keeping it all in check is difficult.

I hope you have a peaceful and relaxing weekend mate and that next week goes the best it can.

I've got this printed out and stuck up on my office :)

image.jpeg.a40fd57a64ca51d1923130a81d36972f.jpeg

Thanks for this mate. It resonates massively. 

It's nice to think people really do understand. No easy answers, just mutual support.

God bless this thread and God bless foxestalk ( in a totally non religious way from a totally non religious person, the phrase just works)

Worse things happen at war and all that and I'm doing ok so far.

Thanks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buce said:

That's widely accepted now, Col.

Sorry mate, what I meant to say was that I agree and that I’m convinced it affects me personally. Generally not actually during the period of most stress, but when things start calming down. I think, following a period of prolonged stress, the body and mind go into a period of meltdown and take some time to return to some level of homeostasis again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Sorry mate, what I meant to say was that I agree and that I’m convinced it affects me personally. Generally not actually during the period of most stress, but when things start calming down. I think, following a period of prolonged stress, the body and mind go into a period of meltdown and take some time to return to some level of homeostasis again.

Fortunately, this was something I recognised very early in life, Col, and I've adjusted the way I live and think ever since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think when things are at their worst, we survive on almost adrenaline alone. When things feel like they should be better, your body has nothing left to fight with and you start to succumb to all manner of ills, especially  the common cold.

You then have to make sure having got through the worst, not to let this affect your mindset once again.

It's a vicious cycle. 

I try to look at it like this - there are times in life where you know it is going to be shit. Circumstances you already k ow are going to happen and you know you will not enjoy it. These times usually have a finite timespan and as long as you know you just need to endure it until you get through it and out the other side, it can be easier.

Prepare yourself mentally and try to set yourself up right mentally for it.

Easier said than done at times I know but I certainly find it easier than the big kicks in the bollocks that come out of nowhere.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2018 at 12:41, gw_leics772 said:

Please keep us informed (If you feel up to it)

Give it a few days if necessary. Here's hoping you get the immediate "artificial high" that I get when I need to up the dose. And if you do,m just enjoy it for a bit.

Thanks again everyone. I've been bumped up to 3 fluoxetine pills a day and been recommended to take some counselling sessions. I can't say I've felt an immediate boost but I'm prepared to let the pills do their job. 

Your mental state DEFINITELY has in impact on your physical being without a shadow of a doubt.

Keep in there boys,do what you have to,to keep that inner mind in control.

1 hour ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Thanks again everyone. I've been bumped up to 3 fluoxetine pills a day and been recommended to take some counselling sessions. I can't say I've felt an immediate boost but I'm prepared to let the pills do their job. 

Good man, take the counselling. I learned and actually finally understood that it was ok to be pissed off with what was going on in my life at the time. And then some cognitive behavioural shizzle to deal with it better. (Took time)

Hope the med increase works, if not, ask for a different kind.  Took me a few tries.

As you can see above, I've had a bit of a wobble and have treated myself to a small increased dose, up 5mg to 40mg paroxetine a day, and feeling great. Think I'll continue for a bit and enjoy a 5 day "happy holiday" ?

Also keep busy, I've cleared the garage, left 4 broken bikes as a jackpot for the rag and bone man and filled the back of an audi q7 for tip run. Not exactly my idea of fun but I feel like I've achieved something and have been too busy today and am too knackered now to even have the energy to over Think shit.

Time for a film with the wife then bed before a nice Sunday 8 Pinter with footie and bbq to see the weekend out.

You're not alone mate, read @Izzy Muzzett's advice to me from earlier  today.

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Nightmare at the minute.

Really struggling to hold it together.  Taking 40mg of Citalopram a day and found out last week the councillor I was seeing doesnt want me to go anymore as she’s too uncomfortable with the content.

Not sure what to do.

Ask for another counsellor. That is bang out of order. Talk about kicking a man when he's down. If you were that bad they have you sectioned and no doubt there is a lot worse out there in them places.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, when interacting with the bus you have to pick up all the courage you have and be assertive to get what you need. Completely at odds with the reason you are there.

They should be sorting this in the background and making up a reason, ie changing hours, someone else is better suited to your particular circumstances.

This smacks of total unprofessionalism and probably made worse by underfunding. I'd kick up a right stink with my gp demanding another. Probably a man by the sounds of it. 

Stay strong. Message me if you need any help or advice.  The more ****ed up it is, the more comfortable I feel ?