Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

6 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Thought about doing this myself this year, basically to see if i could do it. 

Just realised its the 2nd October already and i downed a bottle of red last night :S 

Maybe next year? 

It takes 21 days to break a habit. Give it a go... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Good on ya mate :thumbup:

I did it last year and by the end of October I figured I didn't need a drink so stayed sober over Xmas and New Year (I was in hospital anyway so that helped ;))

By the spring I didn't miss it anymore and I've stayed off it ever since - so a year and a day now :)

I hope you feel better both physically and mentally for knocking the booze on he head for a bit.

Good luck!

Cheers to a... :ph34r:

Seriously though, well done on a year sober, Izzy. Top effort mate. :appl:

Edited by ajthefox
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Good on ya mate :thumbup:

I did it last year and by the end of October I figured I didn't need a drink so stayed sober over Xmas and New Year (I was in hospital anyway so that helped ;))

By the spring I didn't miss it anymore and I've stayed off it ever since - so a year and a day nowthe  :)

I hope you feel better both physically and mentally for knocking the booze on the head for a bit.

Good luck!

Steady on Izzy I'm not going that far!!

I'm comfortable in saying that I'm not an alcoholic - at least by my standards anyway. Or rather, having lived in Botswana for a while, I can safely say I'm nowhere near an alcoholic.

I can often take it too far when drinking at home though. A crate of beer or half a bottle of half decent whiskey can go pretty easily, and I'll feel like shit next day.

That's what I'm fed up with so I'm not ruling out a social pint or two while out and about, but I'm keeping my house dry at least till November.

Congrats on making it a year though!

• Like 1

This is an amazing thread. Genuinely touched by some of the stories.

I've been lurking for a while, reading about other people's situations and wondering whether to chime in.

I was about 20/21 when I started counselling, but it took months to get in through the NHS and after those months had passed, I was in a slightly better place. I had about 8 sessions and decided that I didn't need them, when they asked if I wanted to move to the next stage. 

Back then, I was living at home and having to share a room for half the week with my older half brother, who has Aspergers. My poor mum hasn't had the easiest time financially, but I didn't know any different. The older I got, the more of a struggle it became and when I finished an apprenticeship, passed my driving test and met my now girlfriend, I started to feel better about things and didn't need counselling anymore. I was still living at home, but I remember May 2016 being the best month of my life, what with Leicester winning the league and things going well with her. I never told any girl about my living situation or brought them home, because I was embarrassed and I even tried to push my now girlfriend away, before I finally told her about everything. She was great.

Now she's doing a PhD and I'm doing ok work-wise, but for the first time in a couple of years I'm really struggling again. We live in a great flat in a nice area of Leicester, and I have an ok wage/car for my age, but nothing feels enough. My job is easy and I find myself being extremely lazy at work, doing the bare minimum to get by. I sit and procrastinate for ages and then get the arse because I have to work late to catch up on things. Recently I've started looking elsewhere but I'm a Graphic Designer through an apprenticeship. I don't have any impressive qualifications or proof that my skills are transferrable to another business. I like the people here but can't even be arsed to talk to anyone anymore. I just sit with my headphones in for the whole working day pretty much. I've cried a couple of times on the drive home and I've got no idea why. I tell myself that I'm doing alright for my age, but this past week I've had a couple of unsuccessful interviews at the first two jobs I've felt were perfect for me. They were a way out of being stuck in a rut at a job I just can't be bothered with anymore. I'm way too comfortable here because I know things will just be the same no matter what I do.

I don't know if I should start counselling again, but I just feel so demotivated and find it hard to get out of bed every day even though my working day just isn't that difficult. I don't know if I'm struggling mentally or I'm annoyed at myself for potentially ****ing work up through laziness. Nobody has noticed that I'm not happy here, but I worry that if I get any more comfortable I'll make a mistake and it'll cost me. I'm certainly not invincible, but I was so confident that I'd get the last job I applied for. I didn't through "lack of experience" and now I'm worried I'll be stuck here. I've thought about career changes, even dropping out and going to Uni, but I've got a flat and car to pay for. I can't live at home again. The best option was a night-school to get a HND in graphic design, but the colleges that I've spoken to have said they only offer full-time courses due to lack of interest. 

Sorry, I know this isn't the careers thread, but it's the only thing I can attribute it to. Over the last few years, I've had a few spells where I've felt like this, but they generally pass. Now it seems to be a lot more prolonged. Not just laziness, but I find it so hard to get out of bed even though I don't get much sleep.

I look around at my friends and some of them have less than me, but seem significantly happier. I don't really know what to do.

Edited by RonnieTodger

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

This is an amazing thread. Genuinely touched by some of the stories.

I've been lurking for a while, reading about other people's situations and wondering whether to chime in.

I was about 20/21 when I started counselling, but it took months to get in through the NHS and after those months had passed, I was in a slightly better place. I had about 8 sessions and decided that I didn't need them, when they asked if I wanted to move to the next stage. 

Back then, I was living at home and having to share a room for half the week with my older half brother, who has Aspergers. My poor mum hasn't had the easiest time financially, but I didn't know any different. The older I got, the more of a struggle it became and when I finished an apprenticeship, passed my driving test and met my now girlfriend, I started to feel better about things and didn't need counselling anymore. I was still living at home, but I remember May 2016 being the best month of my life, what with Leicester winning the league and things going well with her. I never told any girl about my living situation or brought them home, because I was embarrassed and I even tried to push my now girlfriend away, before I finally told her about everything. She was great.

Now she's doing a PhD and I'm doing ok work-wise, but for the first time in a couple of years I'm really struggling again. We live in a great flat in a nice area of Leicester, and I have an ok wage/car for my age, but nothing feels enough. My job is easy and I find myself being extremely lazy at work, doing the bare minimum to get by. I sit and procrastinate for ages and then get the arse because I have to work late to catch up on things. Recently I've started looking elsewhere but I'm a Graphic Designer through an apprenticeship. I don't have any impressive qualifications or proof that my skills are transferrable to another business. I like the people here but can't even be arsed to talk to anyone anymore. I just sit with my headphones in for the whole working day pretty much. I've cried a couple of times on the drive home and I've got no idea why. I tell myself that I'm doing alright for my age, but this past week I've had a couple of unsuccessful interviews at the first two jobs I've felt were perfect for me. They were a way out of being stuck in a rut at a job I just can't be bothered with anymore. I'm way too comfortable here because I know things will just be the same no matter what I do.

I don't know if I should start counselling again, but I just feel so demotivated and find it hard to get out of bed every day even though my working day just isn't that difficult. I don't know if I'm struggling mentally or I'm annoyed at myself for potentially ****ing work up through laziness. Nobody has noticed that I'm not happy here, but I worry that if I get any more comfortable I'll make a mistake and it'll cost me. I'm certainly not invincible, but I was so confident that I'd get the last job I applied for. I didn't through "lack of experience" and now I'm worried I'll be stuck here. I've thought about career changes, even dropping out and going to Uni, but I've got a flat and car to pay for. I can't live at home again. The best option was a night-school to get a HND in graphic design, but the colleges that I've spoken to have said they only offer full-time courses due to lack of interest. 

Sorry, I know this isn't the careers thread, but it's the only thing I can attribute it to. Over the last few years, I've had a few spells where I've felt like this, but they generally pass. Now it seems to be a lot more prolonged. Not just laziness, but I find it so hard to get out of bed even though I don't get much sleep.

I look around at my friends and some of them have less than me, but seem significantly happier. I don't really know what to do.

It sounds to me like you already know the answer 're restarting counselling.

It also sounds like a classic case of depression and over thinking. 

Please see your gp and try to get counselling restarted. I have been referred to "let's talk wellbeing" and can definitely recommend them.

It also sounds like anti depressants could help if you are not already on them.

I am currently on a 7 week classroom course via let's talk wellbeing which is a low level cognitive behavioural therapy course, which could be right up your street.

I have written a lot more about the counselling service and my own expectations of the nhs in previous pages that are definitely worth a read of you decide to go down this route.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gw_leics772 said:

It sounds to me like you already know the answer 're restarting counselling.

It also sounds like a classic case of depression and over thinking. 

Please see your gp and try to get counselling restarted. I have been referred to "let's talk wellbeing" and can definitely recommend them.

It also sounds like anti depressants could help if you are not already on them.

I am currently on a 7 week classroom course via let's talk wellbeing which is a low level cognitive behavioural therapy course, which could be right up your street.

I have written a lot more about the counselling service and my own expectations of the nhs in previous pages that are definitely worth a read of you decide to go down this route.

Thanks mate. Let's Talk Wellbeing are the people that I was with a few years ago. Though it took a while, I thought the woman that they sent me to was great.

I'm not on any anti depressants and from some of what I've read on this thread, I'd like to avoid them if possible, but I'm going to make an appointment with the GP and see what they say.

9 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Thanks mate. Let's Talk Wellbeing are the people that I was with a few years ago. Though it took a while, I thought the woman that they sent me to was great.

I'm not on any anti depressants and from some of what I've read on this thread, I'd like to avoid them if possible, but I'm going to make an appointment with the GP and see what they say.

I think the opposite on anti depressants. I accept they might not work for everyone but for me they are excellent and I would not be able to cope without them.

Try it, if it works for you like it does for me, then it could be an immediate game changer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

i feel like I took all the wrong paths and ended up trapped here and I've got people trapped with me and I want to escape but it's going to hurt people I care about. 

wtf. 

I didn't want to read this and then just pass by, although I have nothing constructive to say I think I know what you mean. 

It's not too late to change the path you are on though, and sometimes you have to be selfish. Never forget that we don't get to do this all again, I know it's a cliché but it's true. Look after yourself, and do what's right for you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

i feel like I took all the wrong paths and ended up trapped here and I've got people trapped with me and I want to escape but it's going to hurt people I care about. 

wtf. 

This sounds like the ultimate cry for help. I hope for your sake it isn't but if it is, I hope my very recent, and definitely still current problems, will help to put some perspective on things for you.

Sunday 23rd september, I walked out on my wife and 4 kids, aged 1 to 12, and went to my mother, crying my eyes out. I then rang my wife to tell her I was leaving her.

I went to the doctors the next day and got a sick note for 2 weeks. I spent the vast majority of the first week just sleeping. 

I had taken the first step in what I call, 3 steps to armageddon. **** the job, **** the family, **** life.

I spoke to many people and realised that I was at rock bottom. I needed a break. My children were told that daddy is poorly and needs to some time to get better. 

I tried to explain to my wife that I was broken. I did not want to make any life altering decisions whilst in this frame of mind. She told me I already had by leaving.

We talked again throughout the first week, and I explained to her that what I did was ****ing drastic. I knew that, but the choice was not to stay or leave, the choice was far scarier than that. I understood that walking out on my kids was obviously not good for them, but the very real alternative was not staying and carrying on as normal, as I was already past that. The alternative was suicide, and having lost a friend to a motorcycle accident, leaving behind 2 young children, I was not prepared to do that to my children.

My wife reluctantly admitted that given those 2 choices, I made the right choice.

Everyone I spoke to recommended relate counselling, my wife refused, until doing the school run and talking to others and realising this was her stubbornness. We agreed to go, we laughed, we cried, then I dropped the freudian slip of going "home", meaning back to my mothers. I understood that that hurt my wife, but missed the biggest part.

My wife did not expect me to leave again at all, but I expected to go back to my mothers for the remainder of my sick note, 1 more week.

We talked again, and she told me what others had said to her. I am grateful they made her see sense in relate, but also grateful their comments relayed back to me made me see sense. I had got what I wanted, more than I dared to hope for. Now I had to give back.

I returned home on Friday evening of week 1 after having this discussion on the Thursday. Then my wife fell ill. Obviously what had happened was a shock to her, and it had taken it's toll on her. I let her stay in bed while I got back on the school runs, and tried to get my life back on track, but I was still not well myself.

I gave my wife until yesterday, and then had to take back some control and insist that I stayed in bed. Minor, and possibly too much info, but my point in relation to your post, is that I had to be selfish. Not once, but twice, and will no doubt have to be again the future. 

My wife told me I had been selfish. I did not disagree, but also made no apologies for it either. Nobody will look out for me, as much as I can look out for myself.

People may not agree with my actions. I say take a walk in my shoes, and ultimately don't really care too much about what others think. I hit rock bottom, and realised what it was that I needed, which is ultimately that I need my wife to understand my depression, because it is cyclical. And when I am at my lowest, my wife does not understand and unfortunately her actions make me worse. I have some very real, and very big business problems at the moment, which were no doubt the trigger, but as I pointed out to my wife, my business partner cannot make me crawl back to my mother, only my wife can do that.

Perspective has helped as when I return to work on monday, and have to face my problems head on, I am now 100% certain that I will take no more shit from him. My wife and family were far too high a price to pay for my business problems.

I'm not through it by a long shot, but I hope you can see that there is little more drastic than walking out on my wife and children, whom I love dearly. It definitely hurt them, but much less than the awful potential alternative, and we are now on the road back to a better place, potentially much better than it ever has been, if my piece of mind can be restored.

The other still real possibility, is that my wife decides she cannot live with me like this. At least I will know I have tried everything, and can then concentrate on the relationships that will change accordingly, but matter more than any. My children.

Disclaimer: I have already contacted counselling service via my GP and now understand that the GP is the best place to go if feeling suicidal, and/or samaritans. If your GP's are generally as shit as mine, that takes some believing, but they have crisis teams in place and have a legal duty to respond immediately if you mention this to them, or even the dreaded receptionist that is sometimes difficult to get past.

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 3

This period of anxiety really needs to do one now, it's running me down. Spent today on the train back from Zurich crying into the seat because I was convinced something bad was about to happen, be it a crash, a gunman, a terrorist, or just me having a medical issue and being unable to get help. And now I lie here, knowing I'm absolutely knackered but wide awake just unable to switch my brain off, convinced something is going to happen in the night and I need to be awake for it. Doctor gave me a week's worth of Zopiclone to help but as I said before, anxious me hates putting drugs inside me and well sleeping tablets are, in my mind, going to send me sleep forever. I mean the beta-blockers have been great since I plucked up the courage but sleeping tablets is a no go right now. I mean what if I do need to be awake and alert for something. It's just everything right now feels like it will cause me harm. And I wish I could walk into my flatmate's room rn and talk about it and try to refocus my mind but I just can't bring myself to. Feels like its gonna be another long, very lonely night just trying to stop myself thinking. Miserable. Mood is staying resilient though, I know this is the depression thread so this isn't necessarily applicable. Thanks broughtonblue for sharing, harrowing to read but I'm glad you pulled through and hope you never end up back there.  

Good news though that I have an initial consultation with a therapist on Tuesday. Just speaking to the counsellors they have at uni a couple of times have been really useful. So nice to have people that help you spot your thought patterns and connect dots you could never do on your own. Have been to them previously and when they spoke to me and looked over my notes from last time they stressed the importance for me to get something long-term. He suggested probably as much as once a week for 2 years. Hopefully I'll get on with the therapist and be able to work with her for an extended period, and hopefully its worth the money. But that's a long term thing and right now I wish there was some short term relief to stop me going manic.

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

Hey dude, I don't have time to reply at the moment but just know when I said 'escape' I mean getting away from my current situation, not anything more. Don't worry! Thanks for the reply, I'll get back tomorrow. 

Either way mate. Look after yourself.

I hoped I was wrong, but it was the kick up the are I needed to practice what I preach and share and offload. It can be very cathartic.

@Kopfkino don't feel bad about posting here. Anxiety and depression are 2 branches of the same shitty tree. Thankfully I have never had anxiety to the lengths of some on here, but there are people here who definitely have and can give good advice.

What I will say is that your thoughts were dealt with on the stress control course I am currently attending and although some of the examples were not as relevant to me as they are to you, the coping mechanisms are the same and they are certainly helping me.

10 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

This sounds like the ultimate cry for help. I hope for your sake it isn't but if it is, I hope my very recent, and definitely still current problems, will help to put some perspective on things for you.

Sunday 23rd september, I walked out on my wife and 4 kids, aged 1 to 12, and went to my mother, crying my eyes out. I then rang my wife to tell her I was leaving her.

I went to the doctors the next day and got a sick note for 2 weeks. I spent the vast majority of the first week just sleeping. 

I had taken the first step in what I call, 3 steps to armageddon. **** the job, **** the family, **** life.

I spoke to many people and realised that I was at rock bottom. I needed a break. My children were told that daddy is poorly and needs to some time to get better. 

I tried to explain to my wife that I was broken. I did not want to make any life altering decisions whilst in this frame of mind. She told me I already had by leaving.

We talked again throughout the first week, and I explained to her that what I did was ****ing drastic. I knew that, but the choice was not to stay or leave, the choice was far scarier than that. I understood that walking out on my kids was obviously not good for them, but the very real alternative was not staying and carrying on as normal, as I was already past that. The alternative was suicide, and having lost a friend to a motorcycle accident, leaving behind 2 young children, I was not prepared to do that to my children.

My wife reluctantly admitted that given those 2 choices, I made the right choice.

Everyone I spoke to recommended relate counselling, my wife refused, until doing the school run and talking to others and realising this was her stubbornness. We agreed to go, we laughed, we cried, then I dropped the freudian slip of going "home", meaning back to my mothers. I understood that that hurt my wife, but missed the biggest part.

My wife did not expect me to leave again at all, but I expected to go back to my mothers for the remainder of my sick note, 1 more week.

We talked again, and she told me what others had said to her. I am grateful they made her see sense in relate, but also grateful their comments relayed back to me made me see sense. I had got what I wanted, more than I dared to hope for. Now I had to give back.

I returned home on Friday evening of week 1 after having this discussion on the Thursday. Then my wife fell ill. Obviously what had happened was a shock to her, and it had taken it's toll on her. I let her stay in bed while I got back on the school runs, and tried to get my life back on track, but I was still not well myself.

I gave my wife until yesterday, and then had to take back some control and insist that I stayed in bed. Minor, and possibly too much info, but my point in relation to your post, is that I had to be selfish. Not once, but twice, and will no doubt have to be again the future. 

My wife told me I had been selfish. I did not disagree, but also made no apologies for it either. Nobody will look out for me, as much as I can look out for myself.

People may not agree with my actions. I say take a walk in my shoes, and ultimately don't really care too much about what others think. I hit rock bottom, and realised what it was that I needed, which is ultimately that I need my wife to understand my depression, because it is cyclical. And when I am at my lowest, my wife does not understand and unfortunately her actions make me worse. I have some very real, and very big business problems at the moment, which were no doubt the trigger, but as I pointed out to my wife, my business partner cannot make me crawl back to my mother, only my wife can do that.

Perspective has helped as when I return to work on monday, and have to face my problems head on, I am now 100% certain that I will take no more shit from him. My wife and family were far too high a price to pay for my business problems.

I'm not through it by a long shot, but I hope you can see that there is little more drastic than walking out on my wife and children, whom I love dearly. It definitely hurt them, but much less than the awful potential alternative, and we are now on the road back to a better place, potentially much better than it ever has been, if my piece of mind can be restored.

The other still real possibility, is that my wife decides she cannot live with me like this. At least I will know I have tried everything, and can then concentrate on the relationships that will change accordingly, but matter more than any. My children.

Disclaimer: I have already contacted counselling service via my GP and now understand that the GP is the best place to go if feeling suicidal, and/or samaritans. If your GP's are generally as shit as mine, that takes some believing, but they have crisis teams in place and have a legal duty to respond immediately if you mention this to them, or even the dreaded receptionist that is sometimes difficult to get past.

It sounds to me like you feel that your life is intolerable.  It wasn't always that way but it is now.  You've had to make some desperate decisions which have hurt the ones you love but the alternative to those decisions could have been worse.  You have to give yourself time to recover and get into a better place.  It is achievable but it could be a hard road - still, better than not taking the road at all.  

You can get another job if you need to but you can't get another life and your children will always be yours.  Looks to me like you've already realised the priorities there.  Generally we can cope for a while if it's good at work but bad at home, or if it's bad at work and good at home, but there's no recovery time if it's bad at both and eventually something has to give.

I've no doubt that you feel terrible for taking some of the actions that you felt had to be done, but you did have the courage to try to address your situation.  There are some that would have taken the easy way out.  So I hope that you can get a better work situation and bring some relief to your stress.  

• Like 1

So the "Soberish" October is going OK. Not had any booze at home for over a week. Had a couple of social pints the other day but the social thing was necessary.

Last day of looking after my sister's puppy as she and her fiance get home from holiday tomorrow. Took him out for one last walk and managed to fall arse over tit. Sober as a judge, and my phone had died so I had no distractions. Managed to **** up my knee, twist my ankle and graze all my favourite things, as well as hitting my head. The dog was confused. Took me half an hour to limp home and really could have done with a drink, but I've got nothing. The dog then ate my brand new & reasonably expensive sunglasses.

Damn you soberish October!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

So the "Soberish" October is going OK. Not had any booze at home for over a week. Had a couple of social pints the other day but the social thing was necessary.

Last day of looking after my sister's puppy as she and her fiance get home from holiday tomorrow. Took him out for one last walk and managed to fall arse over tit. Sober as a judge, and my phone had died so I had no distractions. Managed to **** up my knee, twist my ankle and graze all my favourite things, as well as hitting my head. The dog was confused. Took me half an hour to limp home and really could have done with a drink, but I've got nothing. The dog then ate my brand new & reasonably expensive sunglasses.

Sorry I shouldn’t laugh but how did you bail so badly? And why aren’t there any puppy pictures?

I've been taking some CBD oil for the last couple of months and it's helped me loads with regards to less anxiety and better sleep.

Research it,but PM for further details if u want

Edited by Raj

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

6 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sorry I shouldn’t laugh but how did you bail so badly? And why aren’t there any puppy pictures?

Thank **** i kept drinking. Pheew, would dread to think what could of happened if i had stopped.

Im also with Costock... where are the puppy pics! 

9 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Thank **** i kept drinking. Pheew, would dread to think what could of happened if i had stopped.

Im also with Costock... where are the puppy pics! 

6180A09F-FD83-440C-A160-21A2B91914BC.thumb.jpeg.739b5decb0b35978ee215f978603aa16.jpeg

This was taken last week, before he ate:

my shirt

my hoody

my sunglasses

my travelling monkey, who I’ve had for 15 years and who has been to 15 countries with me

And before he broke my Leicester City Champions mug. 

... those last 2 are legitimately hate crimes. 

Dunno how I managed to fall so badly. Earlier in the day my head was all over the place so that might have had something to do with it. 

I suppose there’s quite a lot of me to fall over so that probably explains most of the damage. 

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

my travelling monkey, who I’ve had for 15 years and who has been to 15 countries with me

i too have a travelling monkey who I take everywhere with me and photograph him at different places. 

glad to know there is another grown ass man out there dragging a stuffed monkey around the world lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

i too have a travelling monkey who I take everywhere with me and photograph him at different places. 

glad to know there is another grown ass man out there dragging a stuffed monkey around the world lol

The young prince does that too ...    fookin weirdos the lot of yaz ...